The Musical Box

Inthe Cage/CinemaShow/Slippmen/Afterglow

Firth of Fifth

Cinema Show Full Version

Eleventh Earl Of Mar

Lamb/Musical Box Medley from Seconds Out

Blood On the Rooftops

Cul De Sac

I'm sure I've missed some but gotta run...

Edit

Add

Dancing w/the Moonlit Knight

Deep In The Motherlode

Paperlate (I Know but I'm a sucker for those horns) which leads to

No reply at all

Watcher of the Skies

Los Endos

Lilywhilte Lilith

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've spent the past hour thinking about this. Is that sad? I'm not sure. Anyway, here's my selection. A good mix of all eras:

1) Supper's Ready (The last 8 minutes are perfection)

2) Cinema Show (Tony Banks is, despite 'Mouse's Night', a God)

3) Anyway (Tony Banks is a God etc)

4) Firth Of Fifth (Tony Banks is a God etc)

5) Unquiet Slumbers For The Sleepers In That Quiet Earth/Afteglow

6) Down & Out (Great opening track from an underated record)

7) Watcher Of The Skies (Great opening track full stop)

8) The Musical Box

9) Duke's Travels/Duke's End (Would love to have heard the complete 'Duke Suite' that this would have been part of)

10) Stagnation

11) In The Cage (Album version is good but this is best live)

12) One For The Vine

13) Los Endos

14) Looking For Someone (I just love the opening line)

15) The Knife (This gets really heavy. I always imagined someone like Metallica covering it)

16) Seven Stones (Under-rated song that always get lost amongst the classics)

17) Back In NYC

18) Undertow

19) No Reply At All (Great Pop Song with nice horns)

20) Feeding The Fire (Great B-side from the Invisible Touch album)

613: Illegal Alien (I know is suposed to be funny but......Really, Really Horible)

I've spent the past hour thinking about this. Is that sad? I'm not sure. Anyway, here's my selection. A good mix of all eras:

9) Duke's Travels/Duke's End (Would love to have heard the complete 'Duke Suite' that this would have been part of)

Pull down one of the Duke tour shows where they played the Duke suite in order or just upload Duke to your I-tunes or whatever and sequence as such:

Behind the lines>Duchess>Guide Vocal>Turn it on Again>Dukes Travels>Duke's End.

It's all there on Duke, they just felt that that combo made one album side much stonger than the other so they broke it up.

Only 20? Hell, I had to cut it down when I noticed I already had 2 dozen before Peter had even left the band. :lol

Revised, so there's a little love for the later years (no particular order):

The Knife

The Musical Box

The Return Of The Giant Hogweed

The Fountain Of Salmacis

Watcher Of The Skies

Supper's Ready

Firth Of Fifth

The Battle Of Epping Forest

The Cinema Show

In The Cage

The Carpet Crawl

The Chamber of 32 Doors

The Lamia

Squonk

Entangled

Afterglow

Duchess

Dodo/Lurker

Abacab

Mama

Pull down one of the Duke tour shows where they played the Duke suite in order or just upload Duke to your I-tunes or whatever and sequence as such:

Behind the lines>Duchess>Guide Vocal>Turn it on Again>Dukes Travels>Duke's End.

It's all there on Duke, they just felt that that combo made one album side much stonger than the other so they broke it up.

I know what you're saying but I imagine if it had been recorded as one piece of music it would have sounded amazing and probably different to how the individual pieces turned out. From what I recall reading Turn It On Again was much less polished in its original state and was almost a linking piece between Guide Vocal and Duke's Travels.

I think they also didn't want the Supper's Ready comparisons with a 23 minute song that took up an entire side.

I know what you're saying but I imagine if it had been recorded as one piece of music it would have sounded amazing and probably different to how the individual pieces turned out. From what I recall reading Turn It On Again was much less polished in its original state and was almost a linking piece between Guide Vocal and Duke's Travels.

I think they also didn't want the Supper's Ready comparisons with a 23 minute song that took up an entire side.

I hear you, I think I read the supper's ready thing too. My guess is that what ended up on Duke is pretty much what the Duke suite would have been, maybe minus more of a link track between Turn it On and Duke's travels. In concert, Turn it on ended cold and Duke's travels picks up with the cold drums opening (I just checked), I suppose they may have been more linked but you would think if they had the link written, they would have played it in concert.

Who know's, maybe after Turn it on again evolved into a real song, they we're like "shit, this song is too good to be buried in one suite." I think the fact that they played it all together in order in concert says to me that that's how it would have been on the record if they went that route.

I actually think it's pretty amazing as is, probably my favorite bit of Genesis music.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

cool article. if i'm honest, i prefer trick of the tail ere genesis. however, gabriel ere stuff is great. they def could pull of a run of shows in europe. at the same time if someone really wanted me to do music i wrote 20 years ago, there's no way i could do it. i could try, but nothing would happen.

I find it funny seeing music publications slobbering over a Gabriel-Era Genesis reformation. Correct me if I'm wrong, and it may be different in the US, but I can't think of any major music magazine that has previously utter positive views on any era of Genesis. I remember Q magazine did an overview of the complete discography and they didn't give any of the albums more than 3/5 and laid into to most of them.

Interestingly there is a similar thing in this month's uncut magazine where they chat with Gabriel about his Genesis/solo records and they refer to 'the Lamb' as a 'classic album'. I feel there may be a slight change in the critical perception of this fine band as of late.

On a side note I just picked up the 1970 - 1975 Vinyl box set that was released a couple of years back. I'm really enjoy spinning those discs and reliving the experience I had playing the albums as a child. Listening to the lamb as four seperate 'sides' of music really helps to see that album as a work of geneuis.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Now there is a broadcast date:

Genesis fans, set your clocks! The documentary ‘Sum Of The Parts’ will premiere on Showtime on October 10 at 8PM ET. The 90-minute special reunites the band's core members – Tony BanksPhil CollinsPeter GabrielSteve Hackett and Mike Rutherford – to share their stories of the group's rise to fame over the decades, along with unseen archive material and performance footage.