More on the "controversy"

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always enjoy reading that blog :thumbup

However "At last count the thread was 49 pages long and contained 971 posts." doesn't seem to be accurate.

i always knew jeff was a nazi after that krautrock bs on agib.

Not to mention hiring a guitarist named Nels. Jeez, make it a little less obvious, guys.

I don't know if anybody mentioned this in the main controversy post but that VW commercial with Nick Drake's Pink Moon is has to be one the best commercials of all time, and as lame as it sounds turned me onto his music. I personally thank VW for that. Also for running the full page ad in Rolling Stone and other mags when Jerry G died, featuring the front of a microbus with a tear falling from the headlight. So yeah, I'm down with Wilco music in the VW ad. Maybe some folks will be a lucky as me w/ ND.

I don't know if anybody mentioned this in the main controversy post but that VW commercial with Nick Drake's Pink Moon is has to be one the best commercials of all time, and as lame as it sounds turned me onto his music. I personally thank VW for that. Also for running the full page ad in Rolling Stone and other mags when Jerry G died, featuring the front of a microbus with a tear falling from the headlight. So yeah, I'm down with Wilco music in the VW ad. Maybe some folks will be a lucky as me w/ ND.

That's yet another can of worms - using dead rock stars to sell stuff. I found it particulary offensive that Jerry and Jimi Hendrix had their name/photo stuck on wine labels not to long ago.

I agree completely. I always thought VW had the best commercials and the Pink Moon commercial did the same thing for me. It's not like they are doing KIA commericals.

I love my V-dub and Wilco, and I especially love listening to Wilco in my V-dub. Nothing is going to change that, certainly not a bunch of "fans" calling them sellouts.

That's yet another can of worms - using dead rock stars to sell stuff. I found it particulary offensive that Jerry and Jimi Hendrix had their name/photo stuck on wine labels not to long ago.

Either way, this thread must be blowing your mind, man - a thread about a blog entry about another VC thread.

FREE ICE CREAM!

Now that's big news!

Awesome blog post on this, I hope that Jeff and co. occasionally get a laugh out of how worked up this place gets over something like this, and for my 2 cents, I think Jeff/Wilco was fine in licensing the song out. :thumbup

Actually this continues to be sort of a dead issue.....

LouieB

Maybe not.

We aren't invisible here and Jeff and Co. are obviously attuned to the goings on within the fan base.

The thing I hope Jeff, Sue, Danny and anyone else in the organization that was connected in the decision to license these songs for advertisements, takes away from the discussions here is that you had a group of passionate people who are so genuinely connected this art that they are willing to actively participate in a dialog to nurture and protect the thing they love so much.

So it got a little messy. Conflicting views allow us insight into both sides of an issue and I think generally;(towards the end of that thread) it revealed itself to be genuine in nature and both sides were fairly coherent and reasonable in their positions. It's just a very polarizing topic and I doubt anyone in a position to allow their songs to be used in this manner is unaware of the inevitable backlash that will follow.

Regardless of your position pertaining to this issue be assured it's a good thing:The discussions got a little astray, and there was a hint of vitriol at times but the primary members/posters generally kept it all above board and on the level.

It should also be noted that once the original poster started a new thread on a totally unassociated topic that it was readily embraced by the community. He also expressed that he did not want to create another raging controversy.

It's all good....

Maybe not.

We aren't invisible here and Jeff and Co. are obviously attuned to the goings on within the fan base.

The thing I hope Jeff, Sue, Danny and anyone else in the organization that was connected in the decision to license these songs for advertisements, takes away from the discussions here is that you had a group of passionate people who are so genuinely connected this art that they are willing to actively participate in a dialog to nurture and protect the thing they love so much.

So it got a little messy. Conflicting views allow us insight into both sides of an issue and I think generally;(towards the end of that thread) it revealed itself to be genuine in nature and both sides were fairly coherent and reasonable in their positions. It's just a very polarizing topic and I doubt anyone in a position to allow their songs to be used in this manner is unaware of the inevitable backlash that will follow.

Regardless of your position pertaining to this issue be assured it's a good thing:The discussions got a little astray, and there was a hint of vitriol at times but the primary members/posters generally kept it all above board and on the level.

It should also be noted that once the original poster started a new thread on a totally unassociated topic that it was readily embraced by the community. He also expressed that he did not want to create another raging controversy.

It's all good....

Not to be disrespectful man, but this totally reminds me of the little "epilogues" to South Park episodes where they tie everything up and discuss what lessons they've learned. :lol