More on the "controversy"

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What songs have been featured in the ads? I've seen "Thanks I Get," "You are My Face," and "Sky Blue Sky." Have any others been released?

I hate to always be negative about the campaign, but the "Sky Blue Sky" spot was simply bad. Two people leave a wedding, get into a VW, and play with the air conditioning while making faces at one another. Yikes.

I hate to always be negative about the campaign, but the "Sky Blue Sky" spot was simply bad. Two people leave a wedding, get into a VW, and play with the air conditioning while making faces at one another. Yikes.

I thought the same thing.....I just didn't get it.

Oh well,still not bothered by it.

wow i was just looking at this thread and thinking ive never seen those commercials. I wasnt quite sure how i would feel if i saw one. Two seconds later, BAM the VW commercial comes on with a highly recognizable Wilco riff. It was my favorite song from the new album YOU ARE MY FACE on a freakin car commercial. I know that the band wants to get their music to as many people as possible, but this isnt the way to do it. i bet non fans have no idea who plays that song. Yeah i guess it could make some people interested, but so would playing a free show (at..oh lets say millenium park) or something along those lines. I think Jeff summed everything up in the commercial "i have no idea how this happened, all of my maps have been overthrown"

It was my favorite song from the new album

And now it's not?Better change that screen name. :shifty

Guest Speed Racer
I know that the band wants to get their music to as many people as possible, but this isnt the way to do it. i bet non fans have no idea who plays that song.

There's a difference between getting the music out there and getting the name Wilco out there, and this opportunity clearly emphasizes the former.

No idea who plays the song? Let's say you saw a total babe at a party. Like, hott. You have no idea who he/she is, right? Doesn't make the person any less attractive. If you wanted to know more, you'd go up and say hi. If someone hears a really awesome song in an ad this days, it takes less than five minutes on a computer to find out who plays it. And the best part? You don't even have to see if the song likes you back.

And now it's not?Better change that screen name. :shifty

you completely just took that out of context....it was my favorite song that came onto the televison. Meaning i was merely speaking in the past tense. I guess it was an easy mistake to make after re-reading, but its still my favorite song on the record.

also i do like the attractive girl analogy :thumbup thats pretty funny. I dunno i guess im not completely against having wilco songs on commercials, but i dont really buy the explanation that it was strictly a move intended to attract non-wilco fans. Unless they donated the proceeds to charity, which is possible, i think the money had something to do with it. It was an amazing riff though u gotta love that song no matter where you hear it.

When consumers "buy and play the music, it's almost like running the ad again. Every time you hear it you go, 'Oh yeah that's the stuff they played in the VW ad,' " said Christie Brown, a marketing lecturer at U-M.

while i don't always think about the commercial when i hear a song used for one, i do tend to never forget that commercial in general. it usually doesn't bother me and the songs aren't ruined for me, but it's absolutely true that the product hitches a ride, so to speak.

Can I quote Bill Hicks???

"Here's the deal folks...you do a commercial, you are off the artistic rollcall FOREVER...end of story. ok? You are another corporate fuckin' shill, you are another whore at the capitalist gangbang...and if you do a commercial, there's a price on your head, and everything you say is suspect and every word that comes out of your mouth is now like a turd falling into my drink. ...and that goes for everyone, except Willie Nelson."

i dont really buy the explanation that it was strictly a move intended to attract non-wilco fans. Unless they donated the proceeds to charity, which is possible, i think the money had something to do with it.

Of course they did it for the money. NTTAWWT.

Should I be concerned that I still have not seen any of these ads on TV? Am I out of the VW/Wilco demographic? Or should I watch something other than Nova, Antiques Roadshow, Moyers, and Washington Week in Review (now that 24 and Lost are done for the year)? Can I ask anymore questions?

Should I be concerned that I still have not seen any of these ads on TV? Am I out of the VW/Wilco demographic? Or should I watch something other than Nova, Antiques Roadshow, Moyers, and Washington Week in Review (now that 24 and Lost are done for the year)? Can I ask anymore questions?

The only time i saw one (and it was only once) was while i was watching comcast on demand music section.

Link

Starbucks to Release Sonic Youth Celebrity Compilation

Thurston: "We asked all these different people to choose their favorite Sonic Youth song. Jeff Tweedy, Beck, Marc Jacobs, Portia de Rossi, Michelle Williams ... Starbucks is the new record store, right?"

When Pitchfork called up Thurston Moore for an interview, we expected to chat about his forthcoming solo record, as well as Sonic Youth's legendary 1988 album Daydream Nation, recently reissued and being taken on tour this summer (including, as you know, a stop at the Pitchfork Music Festival).

And we did chat about that -- a whole lot -- and we can't wait to let you know everything Thurston said. But you're just going to have to wait until Monday, because in the middle of our interview, Thurston dropped a bomb...

Pitchfork: Is Sonic Youth working on any new material right now?

Thurston Moore: No, no. We kind of need to record a song for this Starbucks record that's coming out.

Pitchfork: For, uh, Starbucks?!

Thurston Moore: Yeah. We sort of devised this idea of a Sonic Youth record where we asked all these different people to choose their favorite song, people like artists and actors and other musicians and what have you. So all these people, from Jeff Tweedy to Beck to Marc Jacobs to Portia de Rossi to Michelle Williams [laughs], they all chose their favorite songs and wrote a little thing about it. So it's a compilation record of artists choosing songs of Sonic Youth. There's going to be one exclusive song of ours that we'll record, so that's something we have to record.

Pitchfork: So it's going to be one of those things up at the counter along with the biscotti and the disc of Elton John's favorite Christmas songs?

Thurston Moore: [laughs] Yeah, something like that. I wish Starbucks would ask me to compile a mixtape record.

Pitchfork: That would be ... interesting.

Thurston Moore: I love doing that stuff. But you know, it's so funny, because Starbucks is the new record store, right? [laughs]

Pitchfork: Yeah. I guess if you're in there buying a four dollar cup of coffee, the idea of throwing down a few more for the CD seems like no big deal.

Thurston Moore: Exactly, or getting the Paul McCartney gift card, you know. It's attractive, in a way [laughs]. I like these underground bands that only make records and stuff that they sell only at gigs, and it's only available if you go to the gig to their merch table and they advertise it on their site and at different blogs and they'll list all these things like "edition of 50, only available on this little tour we're doing." So if you're a fan you kind of got to go to get the merch.

Well, there you have it. A Sonic Youth album... for Starbucks.

We'll give you the weekend to think that over. Stay tuned for much, much more from Thurston on Monday, when we'll run the full interview. [note: full interview is here]

The (sad) fact is that in the future all music will be dispensed this way along with your latte. Anyone who thinks otherwise is living in the past (the 60s)

LouieB

That price thing annoys me. Starbucks prices are about the same as any fucking other coffee shop. I never understand people harping on the "four dollar cup of coffee" thing. It's an urban myth.

Guest ChooChooCharlie
Not true, Sir. I can get a coffee from Drunken Donuts for about 2 bucks, half the price of Star****s.

And soooooo much more tasty!

That price thing annoys me. Starbucks prices are about the same as any fucking other coffee shop. I never understand people harping on the "four dollar cup of coffee" thing. It's an urban myth.
I suppose it depends on what you are ordering. You can certainly get cheaper "coffee" other places, but if you want special stuff, then of course you are going to pay more.

LouieB

Not true, Sir. I can get a coffee from Drunken Donuts for about 2 bucks, half the price of Star****s.

You can get a $2 cup of coffee at Starbucks. It's when you start going espresso that the price goes up. And to my palate, Starbucks is better. (DD's key lime pie doughnut is, however, the shit.)