More on the "controversy"

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Solomon Burke had taken the fucking song like he was supposed to, non of this sorry mess would have ever happened!

P.S I drive a VW - it is over 20 years old, and is a Golf. The back side window is currently taped up with bubble wrap because some joy riders broke in and planned to hot wire it. I say planned, because they got in; pulled the front panel off; but couldn't get any further. The trouble is that I have a hard enough time starting the bastard myself with keys! I'd like to have seen how long they sat there trying to get the thing going. I think that this would have made a great commercial for Is That The Thanks I Get to be played on - for all the money I've lovingly spent keeping that poor car alive, in some strange way it still has the cheek to insult me by not allowing a bunch of kids to steal it, so that I could claim on my insurance and buy myself something a little better!

I've got to admit I'm completely tired of the controversy on this forum so haven't read through all the deep insights and biting sarcasm in this thread. But has anyone mentioned the brilliant title of the blog: Jew Eat Yet? That's hilarious, and it's actually an entertaining site.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

:thumbup

http://www.prdomain.com/companies/V/Volksw...20076141095.htm

VW and Wilco create music and advertising first

1 Jun 2007 : In a new form of music/promotion/communications, the band Wilco's recently released album Sky Blue Sky is the soundtrack to Volkswagen's latest TV campaign. This new form of marketing collaboration has the creative forces of Wilco and VW combining to launch both an album and a VW campaign in the same week (May 22nd). The partnership spans multiple commercials and multiple songs, with the first song being "The Thanks I Get." The Wilco Volkswagen union will run for the summer and all songs can be streamed on vw.com. It's also the first-ever licensing deal for Wilco.

I've got to admit I'm completely tired of the controversy on this forum so haven't read through all the deep insights and biting sarcasm in this thread. But has anyone mentioned the brilliant title of the blog: Jew Eat Yet? That's hilarious, and it's actually an entertaining site.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

:thumbup

I wonder if he got that from Jeff Foxworthy.

A validation-seeker (this whole discussion is about validating one's opinion by publishing it) criticizing someone else for possibly validating their musical choices through the opinions of others...thaaaat's weird.

I wonder how the discussion would change if Pot Kettle Black was playing in the car.

Thank you, Leo. Well put.

If Solomon Burke had taken the fucking song like he was supposed to, non of this sorry mess would have ever happened!

:lol :lol :lol :cheers

That's the really cool thing about debate for me. Sometimes it stretches the boundaries of my brain box...shifts my paradigms, pushes the envelope, shakes the sheets.

Sex thing?

edit: this is ction

There's only one possible resolution to this controversy:

A J. Tweedy rap dissing the haters.

We know he has the skills for it! That "She' a Jar" rap version is sweet! ;)

That's the really cool thing about debate for me. Sometimes it stretches the boundaries of my brain box...shifts my paradigms, pushes the envelope, shakes the sheets.

Yeah,no shit,I'm completely in the grey zone.Not entirely on my point of view,but more so on how I look at others' opinions.

Sleeper. I think that's the very moment Woody sold out.

Whoa. Are you pulling my leg? I'm a huge fan. I got nearly everything up to Manhattan.

Whoa. Are you pulling my leg? I'm a huge fan. I got nearly everything up to Manhattan.

I joke....just trying to fuel more conspiracy theories. B) A-man is right, time to call Lone Gunman.

I'm a huge, huge, fan of first 3/4s of his career, especially Manhattan. :thumbup

I love my V-dub and Wilco, and I especially love listening to Wilco in my V-dub. Nothing is going to change that, certainly not a bunch of "fans" calling them sellouts.

i like this post. my beetle is as big of a wilco fan as i am.

my opinion about all of this is that i am sick of people calling bands or people sell-outs. they have to make a living too, in this world of illegal downloading and the such. good music makes commercials better/tolerable, so i say all the more power to them.

ps: the switchblade/key commercial? i laugh every time i see it. :thumbup

"1 Jun 2007 : In a new form of music/promotion/communications, the band Wilco's recently released album Sky Blue Sky is the soundtrack to Volkswagen's latest TV campaign. This new form of marketing collaboration has the creative forces of Wilco and VW combining to launch both an album and a VW campaign in the same week (May 22nd). The partnership spans multiple commercials and multiple songs, with the first song being "The Thanks I Get." The Wilco Volkswagen union will run for the summer and all songs can be streamed on vw.com. It's also the first-ever licensing deal for Wilco."

For what it's worth - this sounds a bit more involved than a song or two simply being licensed to VW.

I think it would be hard to deny that this is not a full on band endorsement of the VW "brand."

I would love to hear the bands side of the story, and why there is no mention of this colaboration on their official website. It strikes me as odd considering the news section regularly makes mention of promotional appearances - why no mention of the ads?