More on the "controversy"

That looks like solid evidence; an open and shut case, if you ask me. I would suggest that you keep fighting until it's possible to convince the world that Tweedy is completely in the wrong. I guess the next step would be to indict the remaining band members and see if they'll accept a plea to testify against the ringleader, Tweedy. At that point, then, we can demand confiscation of money earned through the VW partnership and return said moneys to the rightful owners, the fans. I'll ready the paperwork, if you want. I also have a connection at the U.S. Post Office who can get me cheap rates on certified mail.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks like solid evidence; an open and shut case, if you ask me. I would suggest that you keep fighting until it's possible to convince the world that Tweedy is completely in the wrong. I guess the next step would be to indict the remaining band members and see if they'll accept a plea to testify against the ringleader, Tweedy. At that point, then, we can demand confiscation of money earned through the VW partnership and return said moneys to the rightful owners, the fans. I'll ready the paperwork, if you want. I also have a connection at the U.S. Post Office who can get me cheap rates on certified mail.

You can attack me as you wish - but it is what it is.

The only problems that you might encounter won't involve whether they've in fact "sold out." This is indisputable, as you've showed at length. The biggest roadblock will be overcoming the inevitable, infamous "who gives a shit?" defense, probably by Johnny Cochran, himself.

Is "The Thanks I Get" even commercially available for purchase? I mean, most of the VC community are familiar with the song through various live recordings and the Tweedy solo dvd, so for most of us the song is already "out there". How perverse is it for Wilco to license a song that the listening public can't even buy?

I think a full-on endorsement would mean the band touring thusly from now on:

combination.jpg

Is "The Thanks I Get" even commercially available for purchase? I mean, most of the VC community are familiar with the song through various live recordings and the Tweedy solo dvd, so for most of us the song is already "out there". How perverse is it for Wilco to license a song that the listening public can't even buy?

It's available as a bonus track on the CD - also - they sold five song, four of them from SBS.

I'm listening to the album now; it totally reeks of accessibility and effort.

It's a fucking gorgeous set of songs - that was never in question.

I'm listening to the vinyl here, too. It's so high quality, it's almost as if they were trying to get people to buy it. :realmad

I'm listening to the vinyl here, too. It's so high quality, it's almost as if they were trying to get people to buy it. :realmad

And, as sort of like a bonus - sell some cars while they're at it.

Yeah, and frankly, when I didn't get my Christmas bonus this year, I was glad that my boss was kind enough to preserve my integrity on my behalf, and not corrupt me with money that I'd use to enable gift-giving (like music, for example). I'm was just glad that someone was looking out for me, because lord knows, I have no judgment of my own.

Guest Speed Racer
And, as sort of like a bonus - sell some cars while they're at it.

Actually, I don't think any of the pre-order packages offered VWs of any sort.

It's available as a bonus track on the CD - also - they sold five song, four of them from SBS.

http://finalcut.postspots.com/direct.php?j...dd2118207a45230

Click on the second commercial - Song #2 is 'You Are My Face'.

I dunno how I feel about this. Wilco isn't the same organization it was ten or fifteen years ago - six members plus innumerable others rely on the band to turn a profit for their livelihood. Guys like Nels Cline who have been playing music forever - by his account, was pretty much broke when Tweedy offered the spot to him. It's sad that a musician with the kind of respect that Nels commanded prior to joining Wilco was in that position, but that's the nature of the music business.

Of course, Wilco aren't in that position, and haven't been for quite a while. They regularly sell 300,000 - 500,000k in album sales and regularly sell out 2,000 seat venues across the country and receive excellent billing at festivals (at Bonnaroo they are above the Flaming Lips, Franz Ferdinand, Decemberists, Kings of Leon, the Roots).

So why did they do this? Does Jeff need a second swimming pool or a house in the Hamptons?

Nah, I'm guessing that this decision was made for guys like Kotche. Cline and Sansone to reap the rewards of being in a band like Wilco. I'm guessing it was a band decision, too. And I'm guessing that the decision wasn't just to reap some kind of financial reward for being tied in with VW, but also to get songs off the album out there. You can't hear 'em on the radio.

Anyway I could be wrong and this could be completely motivated by greed or whatever - but I'm guessing it was done so that everyone in the band could live a little more comfortably.

Yeah, and frankly, when I didn't get my Christmas bonus this year, I was glad that my boss was kind enough to preserve my integrity on my behalf, and not corrupt me with money that I'd use to enable gift-giving (like music, for example). I'm was just glad that someone was looking out for me, because lord knows, I have no judgment of my own.

With all do respect - you are completely misrepresenting what I and others have said.

Oh, and completely unrelated - your photographs are lovely - I love the macro stuff - excellent work!

Aside from being a lousy spot - I'm sorry, that is just depressing.

Oh, and, could the folks responsible for casting ads drop the, average looking guy with the hot girlfriend/wife angle - it's cliche and ridiculously transparent.

"The term 'didactic' refers to texts that are overburdened with instructive, factual, and/or otherwise "educational" information, sometimes to the detriment of a reader's enjoyment."

"The term 'didactic' refers to texts that are overburdened with instructive, factual, and/or otherwise "educational" information, sometimes to the detriment of a reader's enjoyment."

Why thank you

Aside from being a lousy spot - I'm sorry, that is just depressing.

Oh, and, could the folks responsible for casting ads drop the, average looking guy with the hot girlfriend/wife angle - it's cliche and ridiculously transparent.

I know I'm getting a little forgetful, but I sincerely don't remember voting for you? :scratches head

I know I'm getting a little forgetful, but I sincerely don't remember voting for you? :scratches head

You haven't forgotten anything, I was never elected - just offering my opinion - your memory is sound.

For better or worse, commercial TV has become one of the few public forums where you'll occasionally hear snippets of good music.

The radio? not so much.

All the hubub over a song that is not commercially available in a commercial that never mentions the band directly or by inference.

I got an kick out of it and I managed to tell the people I was watching the Cavs game with all about Wilco. I hope Jeff and the boys make a fucking MINT on this.

Jesus frickin christ...I hope the glass house I live in is safe...how about YOU?

You haven't forgotten anything, I was never elected - just offering my opinion - your memory is sound.

Well, good luck with the campaign, anyway. :cheers