Good news for U2 fans..

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since no one else has yet, I figured I’d share my experience seeing U2 at the Sphere in Las Vegas last week. (I’m a little behind as I was traveling after the weekend and busy with catching up on work

Yep, they botched Staring At The Sun on the opening night of the PopMart Tour in 1997 and since then they have only played it acoustically. Stay (Faraway, So Close!) & Stuck In A Moment You Can’t

I enjoy the Monster record - but I was not a huge fan of the live show on the cd deluxe edition -- enjoyed the music on the live set, but I thought Stipe's vocals were off -- to much straining, from w

Posted Images

I don't know if this can be considered 'good news for U2 fans'...

U2 bringing Spider-Man musical to Broadway

I hope this is a put-on.

It's serious. They've been talking about it for a few years. I'm a big U2 fan and was a comics fan as a kid, but I'm really apprehensive about this. they have some experience with the stage, with their work on the score for the Royal Shakespeare Company's production of "A Clockwork Orange" The only part of that to surface is "Alex Descends into Hell for a Bottle of Milk / Korova 1" from "The Fly" single.

Hey,

Did not see this mentioned, but U2 is on Comcast On Demand. You can see almost all of their videos and concert DVDs in HD or Standard Definition.

Notably absent is the video for Please. They have the 2 versions of Staring At The Sun and all 3 versions of One. I think there are a few more different versions on here of certain songs.

The concerts are U2 Elevation Tour from Boston, Vertigo from Chicago, Vertigo from Milan, Zoo TV from Syndey, and The Joshua Tree from Paris. Not sure if the Mexico City PopMart is on there.

Kristofor

PS Oh..yeah just click on music than go down 3 pages on the menu and you should see U2 listed towards the end.

Please - that is really the only song I can stand off of that album.

From the Belfast Telegraph:

U2 reject tax avoidance claims

Thursday, 26 February 2009

U2 have hit back at critics who have accused the band of setting up intricate foreign tax avoidance schemes to avoid paying high taxes in Ireland.

On the eve of their new album launch, the band's manager, Paul McGuinness, last night rejected accusations of hypocrisy and said Bono, Larry Mullen, Adam Clayton and the Edge were all "personal investors and employers" in Ireland.

Addressing the issue of their tax affairs for the first time, Mr McGuinness said much of U2 paid different taxes in different countries.

He was speaking after a group of Third-World campaigners accused the band of hypocrisy over their tax affairs, claiming "tax avoidance" schemes in general impacted on the world's most impoverished countries.

The Debt and Development Coalition (DDCI), whose members include Concern, Trocaire, Oxfam and a string of Catholic missionary orders, yesterday attacked the band's use of a tax base in the Netherlands.

The DDCI confronted Finance Minister Brian Lenihan outside his offices yesterday and told him U2 was depriving the State of revenue needed for social services and aid to foreign countries.

But Mr McGuinness last night insisted the band is "fully compliant" with Irish tax legislation. "U2 is a global business and it pays taxes globally," he said.

"At least 95pc of U2's business -- including record and ticket sales -- takes place outside of Ireland and as a result the band pays many different kinds of taxes all over the world.

"They continue to remain Ireland-based and are personal investors and employers in the country.

"Like any other business, U2 operates in a tax-efficient manner."

U2 moved their publishing arm to Holland in 2006 after the Government capped tax-free earnings for artists at

Last week I said I was unsure where I was with this new release and this week I am leaning towards it being pretty mediocre. I like Moment of Surrender and Magnificent is pretty good (but that may be because it sounds to me like a hybrid of Gloria and New Year's Day) but I am really not feeling much else. Maybe the Letterman appearances will do something for me but right now there are several other current releases that will get the time in my rotation. Maybe I'll come back to it later.

I think a lot of focus is placed on their production/style changes from album to album, but I think the biggest deficit they have is the songwriting. I mean, these were the guys who wrote One, All I Want Is You, etc. The songs just aren't there. And a lot of the lyrics just seem like a mish-mash of the old songs.

Thanks for the myspace link.

Listened once.

I think it's just hard for a band that has such a great history of songs to keep it going. R.E.M.'s latest was a little refreshing, but ultimately lacked the songs and mystery of their earlier records. U2's newest might be similar.

The first few songs sound pretty good. But I don't know. It almost sounds a little forced and tired in most of the rest of it. I'll listen some more. I'm definitely not having the urge to go buy it on Tuesday.

I think a lot of focus is placed on their production/style changes from album to album, but I think the biggest deficit they have is the songwriting. I mean, these were the guys who wrote One, All I Want Is You, etc. The songs just aren't there. And a lot of the lyrics just seem like a mish-mash of the old songs.

i kind of agree...it feels like they are doing what people (a large % of the record-buying public) expect of them versus what they want ala achtung/zooropa/pop. this album is a little more adventerous than the last, but still seems a little paint-by-numbers in certain areas.

that said, i still like it...definitely like it a lot more than the last.

U2 Plays Surprise London Rooftop Gig

February 27, 2009 02:17 PM ET

Andre Paine, London and David J. Prince, N.Y.

U2 capped off a day of promotions for next week's release of "No Line On The Horizon" with a four-song set on the roof of the BBC's London office tower tonight (Feb. 27).

The band performed "Get On Your Boots," "Magnificent," "Vertigo," and "Beautiful Day."

The performance caped off a U2 BBC blitz, with appearances on national top 40 station Radio 1's Jo Whiley show, including a live set broadcast from the 300-capacity BBC Radio Theatre in London this afternoon. It was followed by appearances on Simon Mayo's show on talk radio network Radio 5 Live and Chris Evans' show on AC network Radio 2.

The band is also due to perform on "Tonight With Jonathan Ross" on BBC One tonight ahead of the March 2 release of their long-awaited new album "No Line On The Horizon" (Island/Universal).

Competition winners were able to see U2 in the intimate setting for Whiley's 'Live Lounge' session. Three songs were broadcast including the live debut of "Breathe" from the new album, as well as single "Get On Your Boots" and former hit "Beautiful Day." The new song "Magnificent" was also performed for later broadcast.

Asked about live plans, Bono commented: "We've got something very special planned, it's something we've been working on for many years, a whole way of trying to do shows outdoors and making them very intimate. And also we are trying to work on some cheaper ticket prices because this is the recession."

Apparently there's going to be a string of "secret" shows that will be happening across the U.S. in the next few weeks. The rumor now is some sort of show at Fordham University (in the Bronx) next Friday after their Good Morning America appearance, along with possible shows in Chicago March 10 and Boston March 11. WTMX has details about how to win tickets for the Chicago show, and WBCN has a major U2-related concert announcement Monday morning at 7:15.

The shows are going to be part of this promotion:

FMQB Productions & Interscope Records present U2 3 Nights Live

In a rare, radio extravaganza, U2 is taking over the airwaves of North America for three consecutive nights. U2 3 Nights Live will find Bono, The Edge, Larry Mullen, Jr. and Adam Clayton in a different city for three unique broadcasts on March 9, 10 and 11 in celebration of their new release, No Line On The Horizon.

Monday, March 9 LIVE from Los AngelesAn Inside Look At No Line On The Horizon

Time: 9-10pm Eastern, 8-9pm Central, 7-8pm Mountain, 6-7pm Pacific

Hosted by Shirley Manson

Tuesday, March 10 LIVE from ChicagoRadio Takeover featuring a deejay set by U2

Time: 9-10pm Eastern, 8-9pm Central, 7-8pm Mountain, 6-7pm Pacific

Hosted by Shirley Manson

Wednesday, March 11 LIVE from BostonFeaturing live performance and audience Q&A with U2

Time: 9-10m Eastern, 8-9pm Central, 7-8pm Mountain, 6-7pm Pacific

Hosted by TBA

U2 3 Nights Live will be delivered via satellite on ABC Satellite Services and

Westwood One in the United States.

There is one :30 second commercial contained within the program each night.

This program is not market exclusive.

U2 3 Nights Live is intended to run as a three part series.

I'm off the 7th-15th for spring break and my 30th birthday is the 13th, so I'm definitely going to try to figure out how to win tickets to one of these shows! A U2 show for my birthday would be pretty sweet :dancing

From the Belfast Telegraph:

The stones have beeen using such an arriangement for years. U2 did not feel the need to till Ireland removed some exception for publishing that they formerly had.

Spiderman the musical? If this happens we will know that U2 has jumped the shark.

Wednesday, March 11 LIVE from BostonFeaturing live performance and audience Q&A with U2

Time: 9-10m Eastern, 8-9pm Central, 7-8pm Mountain, 6-7pm Pacific

Hosted by TBA

http://www.u2exit.com/2009/02/u2_3_nights_live.php

The following radio stations just announced they are having contests for secret gigs on March 10th in Chicago and March 11th in Boston.

http://www.wtmx.com

http://www.1019rxp.com/u2

RXP is New York, and their contest is for listeners....BCN's site only mentions the announcement Monday... DAAAMMN!! C'mon!

Hey,

Wow! I came home to this news!

Being impatient, foolish and logical I looked into the major clubs in Boston, they all appear to be booked.

George Thorogood is at the new HOB.

OK GO is at Paradise.

Hall And Oates is at the Orpheum.!!

So that doesn't leave much. I don't do the Boston club scene anymore so maybe I'm forgetting a few.

I have a hunch it might be in the studio of say WBCN.

Agganis Arena at Boston University isn't "small" but it fits with what I'm hearing about there being a secret show on Friday March 6 at Fordham University.

Oh well, I'll guess I'll have to wake up early at 7a.m. Monday to find out about a special show that I won't even win tickets for.

Kristofor