Good news for U2 fans..

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since no one else has yet, I figured I’d share my experience seeing U2 at the Sphere in Las Vegas last week. (I’m a little behind as I was traveling after the weekend and busy with catching up on work

Yep, they botched Staring At The Sun on the opening night of the PopMart Tour in 1997 and since then they have only played it acoustically. Stay (Faraway, So Close!) & Stuck In A Moment You Can’t

I enjoy the Monster record - but I was not a huge fan of the live show on the cd deluxe edition -- enjoyed the music on the live set, but I thought Stipe's vocals were off -- to much straining, from w

Posted Images

when looking at the pics on/in the album i wondered:

how many pictures are there of the four of them amongst some barren landscape looking stoic?

I have always thought their album art was not that great, at least in recent years, - except for some of those Joshua Tree photos.

I could've sworn I paid almost $100 for the ticket I bought last year...I'm not 100% sure because I ended up being really sick and wasn't able to go. I remember thinking when I was buying it "So this is what I can expect to pay for U2 on the next tour."

The vast majority of Springsteen tix sell in the $100 range. They sell a very small percentage in the $60 range.

You can look at the comparison between Springsteen and U2 pricing in 2 different ways:

U2's is fan-friendlier because the floor seats (which many prefer) are significantly cheaper than Springsteen floor seats OR

Springsteen's is fan-friendlier because he basically has a flat rate and doesn't sell any at a premium (last tour the tix for much of the lower tier in arenas were about $150+ and this tour they have $250 seats)

As someone whose been critical of U2, I have to give them great kudos to doing this pricing structure especially in this economic client. (I still loathe Live Nation - $11 beers at the Sasquatch festival last year - greedy wankers).

With tickets that cheap I will definitely have to try and see them for only the second time. (The first time was the opening date of the "War" tour in Dundee, Scotland as a callow teenager after begging his big brother to take him to the show. And what a show it was...)

I have warmed to the album after watching them on Letterman shows this week. There's half of a decent album there. It's a little overcooked and overproduced but the best parts have a pleasing melodic charm that grow with each listen. If anything the involvement of Eno has been a bad thing. I thought both "Magnificent" and "If I Don't Grow Crazy.." sound far better in their stripped down live form. I am still scratching my head as to why "Boots" ever saw the light of day. It has to be one of the very worst songs they have ever released. I liked it at first but it just sounds more ridiculous with each listen. And "Moment of Surrender" should be renamed "Seven Minutes of Complete Boredom". I always admired their desire to follow their muse. This album is all over the place. There is an attempt to be hip (the title track which sounds like a King Of Leon song with Larry Mullen as guest drummer), an attempt to be innovative ("Fez - Being Born"), to be classic U2 ("Unknown Caller", "Magnificent", "Crazy") to be contemporary ("Boots") and maybe weirdest of all a Led Zep/Lenny Kravitz hybrid ("Stand Up Comedy").

The vast majority of Springsteen tix sell in the $100 range. They sell a very small percentage in the $60 range.

You can look at the comparison between Springsteen and U2 pricing in 2 different ways:

U2's is fan-friendlier because the floor seats (which many prefer) are significantly cheaper than Springsteen floor seats OR

Springsteen's is fan-friendlier because he basically has a flat rate and doesn't sell any at a premium (last tour the tix for much of the lower tier in arenas were about $150+ and this tour they have $250 seats)

I like top tickets not exceeding $100. Thats nice. As good as U2 is at their pricing with cheaper seats near the stage are still tons of tickets over $100 which puts a good majority of tickets that go onsale out of reach to the average fan.

After hearing the cd, I'd say I like this album better than I did the first time I heard it. I still prefer the last one over this one though.

really?

Atomic Bomb is my least fave U2 album by a sizeable margin honestly...couple great songs, but other than that.

It's nice to see they're keeping prices pretty affordable for this tour. According to an article in Billboard today, 85 percent of the tickets are below $100, plus the field tickets for $55 and another 10,000 tix at the $30 rate. In today's market that's a bargain.

On their last two tours, I scored $50 floor tickets for the shows I went to and was able to get pretty close to the band. On the Elevation tour, I was able to get into the separate heart area and stood right next to the walkway where the Edge came out and played only a few feet away from me. Definitely a concert highlight.

Went to the local independent record store tonight and they had the new U2 on Vinyl for $30 bones. Too expensive for my taste although it was tempting.

Man I love a good indy store. They have cool shit on the walls like a bulletin board full of old grateful dead tickets. I can spend hours in there.

Saw U2 again last night on Lettermen. Oh, and there they are again on Good Morning America.

Look, there's Bono in his black jeans, shirt and jacket.....AGAIN. And there's the Edge with his fuckin knit cap....AGAIN. Look, Bono's strutting and posin' around the stage....AGAIN.

Maybe these guys need to change their style just a tiny bit? It's bad enought that their new music is flat and/or repetitve, but why must they look exactly the same every damn time I see them?

(I think I need a break from the U2)

Did you like Adam's weird garbage bag t-shirt and Larry's is-it-a-shirt-or-is-it-a-vest-gold-thing on Friday?

12 Sep 2009 Soldier Field Chicago IL US Mon. 30 March

16 Sep 2009 Rogers Centre Toronto ON CA Mon. 30 March

20 Sep 2009 Gilette Stadium Boston MA US Mon. 30 March

24 Sep 2009 Giants Stadium New YorkNY US Mon. 30 March

29 Sep 2009 FedEx Field WashingtonDC US Mon. 6 April

01 Oct 2009 Scott Stadium Charlottesville VA US Sat. 4 April

03 Oct 2009 Stadium Raleigh NC US Mon. 6 April

06 Oct 2009 Georgia Dome Atlanta GA US Mon. 6 April

09 Oct 2009 Raymond James Tampa FL US Sat. 18 April

12 Oct 2009 New Cowboys Stad. Dallas TX US Mon. 20 April

14 Oct 2009 Reliant Stadium Houston TX US Mon. 20 April

19 Oct 2009 Ok. Mem. Stadium Norman OK US Sat. 4 April

20 Oct 2009 U. of Phx. Stad. Phoenix AZ US Mon. 20 April

23 Oct 2009 Sam Boyd Stad. Las Vegas NV US TBD

25 Oct 2009 Rose Bowl Los Angeles CA US Mon. 6 April

28 Oct 2009 BC Place Stad. VancouverBC CA Mon. 6 April

12 Oct 2009 New Cowboys Stad. Dallas TX US Mon. 20 April :dancing

Guess D-man and I will have to call in sick on Tuesday. I wonder if Downtown can be convinced to go to a rock show again with her spouse and son.

This is a really bizarre schedule. I know part of it has to do with stadium availability, but they're going to skip Miami, Seattle, and Philadelphia--cities they always play on the first U.S. leg of their tours--and play in Norman, Oklahoma?

If I'm still living in the Northeast in the fall, I'm pretty screwed. I can get a ticket for up to four shows with my presale code, but unless they add more cities or I get a job in the Chicago area, I'll be saving my code for their second U.S. leg next summer :ohwell

Also, with so many major markets on sale the same day, Live Nation is so going to crash.

I have attended at least one show on every North American U2 tour since Unforgettable Fire but I was pretty sure I was going to skip this one (just not a fan of stadium shows or major act ticket prices any more).

However, seeing that they are playing Raleigh, North Carolina on a Saturday night in the fall is just too much of a temptation, especially if there will be cheap tickets. This tour seems like it will be similar to the Pop tour where it's as much about the "show" as it is the music. If that's the case, the cheap seats will provide a decent perspective in terms of the overall spectacle.

I'm not up on all the name calling but it just struck me as, "really! of all the bands out there, U2 are listening to Coldplay and the Killers?"

This is a damn good point - I've scratched my head over this too.

This is a really bizarre schedule. I know part of it has to do with stadium availability, but they're going to skip Miami, Seattle, and Philadelphia--cities they always play on the first U.S. leg of their tours--and play in Norman, Oklahoma?

Yeah, why anyone would voluntarily subject themselves to going to Norman, OK is beyond me. :D

http://360.u2.com/

edit: looks like they took on corporate sponsorship for the first time. Blackbery.

Lame.

Who cares?