Good news for U2 fans..

Yes, the album really does bear repeated listening (although "Boots" is an awful Frankenstein of a song and "Moment of Surrender" is plain boring) and I really like a lot of the songs too. "Magnificent", the alternative version of "NLOTH", "Breathe", "Fez", and "Unknown Caller" are all very welcome additions to their catalog and it's obvious they still really care about what they release.

I'd bet I speak for many when I say that while we still love U2 the music we are sick of U2 the corporation. The roll-out of "New Line On The Horizon" would make Proctor & Gamble or a seasoned political campaigner envious. As a U2 fan all the way back to 1982, while always respecting their ambition, I never thought they would be charging $50 for their fanclub (5 times the price of a CD), releasing 4 or 5 versions of "NLOTH" (by the way not one of those included any new songs), jumping into bed with the heinous Live Nation ($11 beers at the show anyone or $4 water), moving their business for tax reasons from their home country or selling the rights to their tour to the highest bidder (to Blackberry as well - after all the Apple BS a few years ago.)

U2 as musicians and people have carefully cultivated their reputation as one of decency and integrity but the way U2 the corporation have acted the last few years mean that this reputation is increasingly sullied.

I am glad that they will be offering $30 tickets in the forthcoming tour but this will only be possible because they are only playing stadiums and indeed, designing a stage that will let another 10 - 15 thousand tickets be sold per show. Someone smarter than me could probably confirm that this ltter move will give U2 a greater gross income per gig than any band before them.

(On a minor note, as shown at Presidential show in DC, Bono can no simply let the music speak for itself. His pre-song and mid-song ramblings detract from the music and have only gotten unnecessarily longer as he ages.)

Your 'minor note' is the only thing I'd quibble with - I enjoy him almost as much as ever.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since no one else has yet, I figured I’d share my experience seeing U2 at the Sphere in Las Vegas last week. (I’m a little behind as I was traveling after the weekend and busy with catching up on work

Yep, they botched Staring At The Sun on the opening night of the PopMart Tour in 1997 and since then they have only played it acoustically. Stay (Faraway, So Close!) & Stuck In A Moment You Can’t

I enjoy the Monster record - but I was not a huge fan of the live show on the cd deluxe edition -- enjoyed the music on the live set, but I thought Stipe's vocals were off -- to much straining, from w

Posted Images

There are a few interesting things in the recent Rolling Stone interview - although the interview seems to be mainly about what Bono does during the day. One thing I learned - Moment of Surrender was recorded in one take. They were making it up as they went along.

One thing I learned - Moment of Surrender was recorded in one take. They were making it up as they went along.

I think that is my favorite track on the disc. Love the atmosphere. Also the longest U2 track if I'm not mistaken.....

I am curious to hear the next album. There seemed to be a lot of positive discussion of it in the interview.

There's a lot of talk on a U2 message board of the song 'Mercy' being on that album. That'd be nice - great tune.

One thing I learned - Moment of Surrender was recorded in one take. They were making it up as they went along.

I don't see how they could completely make it up and have someone sing back up vocals with Bono just happening to randomly figure out what he was going to sing off the top of his head - unless only part of the track is the one take and they overdubbed on top of it.

I don't see how they could completely make it up and have someone sing back up vocals with Bono just happening to randomly figure out what he was going to sing off the top of his head - unless only part of the track is the one take and they overdubbed on top of it.

I should have said backing track - as Mr. Indy pointed out. I wish they would have done a live vocal. Which is one of my main problems with some of Neko Case's albums, the vocals are too sanitized.

I just finished the U2 article in Rolling Stone and I thought it had some interesting stuff. I liked Bono comparing Jimmy Page to Wagner. Sounds like the spider man album is completely Bono and the Edge but Bono would like it to be a U2 album. I also liked how Bono said that Brian Eno would probably listen to "Satisfaction" and say, good song but can we take that guitar out of the mix?

I just finished the U2 article in Rolling Stone and I thought it had some interesting stuff. I liked Bono comparing Jimmy Page to Wagner. Sounds like the spider man album is completely Bono and the Edge but Bono would like it to be a U2 album. I also liked how Bono said that Brian Eno would probably listen to "Satisfaction" and say, good song but can we take that guitar out of the mix?

Lots of Bono's usual self-aggrandizing nonsense too. Me thinks that the musical is just another money grab of for Bono and the Edge. If you have all these great songs why not just release a U2 album around them? Because you can make a lot more money using them for a musical based on one of the most successful comics / movie trilogies in history.

How much money is enough for Bono? Clearly, $90 albums, $50 fanclub memberships and partnering with rip-off monopolies like Live Nation isn't enough.

I always like to read Larry's answers to questions. He does not mess around.

You have to figure he is a big part of why they are still around and relevant. He's not afraid to tell Bono where the bear shit in the buckwheat.

That part about the beeper is funny.

Yeah, that was great. You know a ton of people think the band is Bono and his backups. Larry makes it pretty clear that is not the case. In fact Bono called this "Adam's album". I have never read a long interview with Larry but I think I need to look one up.

I'd be surprised if there is that many out there. It's like Brad, Tom, and Joey, (Aerosmith) - they called themselves "The Less Interesting Three."

Way off subject but Brad Whitford never got the due he deserved in that band. Ok, back to U2.

Yeah, that was great. You know a ton of people think the band is Bono and his backups. Larry makes it pretty clear that is not the case. In fact Bono called this "Adam's album". I have never read a long interview with Larry but I think I need to look one up.

That's one of the things I always loved about U2. Bono may have big ideas and a big mouth, but when it comes down to it, he's not going to be much use playing the instruments. So it's kind of hard for songs not to be a collaboration.

I'm not sure this is really Adam's album. I made an hour and fifteen minute drive on Friday and listened to the whole album on the way and back. No matter how much I readjusted my graphic equalizer on my car stereo, I couldn't hear the bass as clearly as I'm used to hearing it on U2 albums. Listening to Achtung Baby this morning and hearing the killer bass lines there made me realize that even more. The album is a lot more sonically ambitious than their last few, and I feel like Larry and the Edge's playing stands out a lot more than Adam's.

When I read interviews with Bono, I know at least half of what he's saying isn't going to end up being true. Part of it is his ambition, and part of it is that he's really good at BSing :lol

I'm not sure this is really Adam's album. I made an hour and fifteen minute drive on Friday and listened to the whole album on the way and back. No matter how much I readjusted my graphic equalizer on my car stereo, I couldn't hear the bass as clearly as I'm used to hearing it on U2 albums. Listening to Achtung Baby this morning and hearing the killer bass lines there made me realize that even more. The album is a lot more sonically ambitious than their last few, and I feel like Larry and the Edge's playing stands out a lot more than Adam's.

When I read interviews with Bono, I know at least half of what he's saying isn't going to end up being true. Part of it is his ambition, and part of it is that he's really good at BSing :lol

Very true. Bono will be the first to admit he has a bit of the Irish Storyteller in him.