Good news for U2 fans..

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since no one else has yet, I figured I’d share my experience seeing U2 at the Sphere in Las Vegas last week. (I’m a little behind as I was traveling after the weekend and busy with catching up on work

Yep, they botched Staring At The Sun on the opening night of the PopMart Tour in 1997 and since then they have only played it acoustically. Stay (Faraway, So Close!) & Stuck In A Moment You Can’t

I enjoy the Monster record - but I was not a huge fan of the live show on the cd deluxe edition -- enjoyed the music on the live set, but I thought Stipe's vocals were off -- to much straining, from w

Posted Images

U2 Reworking Old Songs With Dave Hollister

I am not familiar with the song Grace, as I have not listened to that album in years, but I don't know why they would mess with All I Want Is You. I think that is a great song.

Grace is a good song. I'm just curious what this might be used for? If it was just "All I want is You" I'd say it was for a re-release of "Rattle and Hum." Maybe a charity album?

Good news indeed....U2 is underway doing rehearsals for their European leg which kicks off on this Friday in Turin, Italy. The band promised some brand new songs to be unveiled and some new "old" songs to make it into the setlist. U2 is certainly keeping their promise. I'll leave you with some footage of the new song which I am calling Flowering Rose. I guess that Bono wrote a song specifically for the Glastonbury Festival and since Bono had his injury and missed that festival it sounds like they still want to play it. After 1 listen, I can safely say that the song is amazing and has some amazing guitar licks from The Edge. It's very different from No Line On The Horizon and the last 2 albums before that. It's very old school rock and shifts back and forth between soft & very heavy. At least heavy for U2. :stunned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLq2H0EUKlk&feature=player_embedded

last played on the very last PopMart show in 1998 is a pretty big surprise and sounds great.

They are also rehearsing Miss Sarajevo which had a nice place on the latter half of the Vertigo tour in 2005.

Not bad at all. 1 day into rehearsals and some surprises. They are also rehearsing a lot of what they did on last year's 360 tour, so I am curious how these 3 songs fit into the setlist.

Good news indeed....U2 is underway doing rehearsals for their European leg which kicks off on this Friday in Turin, Italy. The band promised some brand new songs to be unveiled and some new "old" songs to make it into the setlist. U2 is certainly keeping their promise. I'll leave you with some footage of the new song which I am calling Flowering Rose. I guess that Bono wrote a song specifically for the Glastonbury Festival and since Bono had his injury and missed that festival it sounds like they still want to play it. After 1 listen, I can safely say that the song is amazing and has some amazing guitar licks from The Edge. It's very different from No Line On The Horizon and the last 2 albums before that. It's very old school rock and shifts back and forth between soft & very heavy. At least heavy for U2. :stunned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLq2H0EUKlk&feature=player_embedded

last played on the very last PopMart show in 1998 is a pretty big surprise and sounds great.

They are also rehearsing Miss Sarajevo which had a nice place on the latter half of the Vertigo tour in 2005.

Not bad at all. 1 day into rehearsals and some surprises. They are also rehearsing a lot of what they did on last year's 360 tour, so I am curious how these 3 songs fit into the setlist.

that's a neat video.

Another update: It looks like U2 rehearsed another new song (later in the evening) titled For Your Love which was a rumored song title back during the No Line On The Horizon sessions. This song has a nice and slow groove to it and Bono takes the song into his falsetto range at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URETkbpOaqs&feature=player_embedded

Some other "new" older songs that made appearances today were Gloria & Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World which has not been done since the last Zooropa show in December 1993.

Me too. It's still one of my favorites from Achtung Baby. I would love to hear them break out Two Hearts Beat As One again, too. They haven't played it since those Point Depot shows in December of 1989, and it's too good of a song to be buried for 20 years. I'm also really hoping HMTMKMKM might mean they're also considering resurrecting some Pop songs. Mofo and Last Night on Earth would be especially cool.

From the day I first listened to No Line On the Horizon, I've been fantasizing about how amazing it would be if they'd bring out a string section for Breathe, then keep them onstage for All I Want Is You.

I really like the song Acrobat also.

Now that's the song that every diehard U2 fan has been waiting for them to do. They only did it at the Hershey Stadium Outside Broadcast Rehearsals in 1992. They kept trying to get Acrobat to go into Zoo Station.

I wouldn't mind seeing Acrobat go right into Breathe to start a show.

Although, a little birdie told me that U2 has changed their opening song on this European leg. It's important to note because it's an older song which is rare for U2 to do. They almost always open each tour with a song from the new album they are promoting.

Another update: It looks like U2 rehearsed another new song (later in the evening) titled For Your Love which was a rumored song title back during the No Line On The Horizon sessions. This song has a nice and slow groove to it and Bono takes the song into his falsetto range at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URETkbpOaqs&feature=player_embedded

Some other "new" older songs that made appearances today were Gloria & Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World which has not been done since the last Zooropa show in December 1993.

Poor Bono. His voice is a pale imitation of what it was. I am right in thinking he falls into the category of dumbest people : somone who started smoking in their late twenties/early thirties? Still think I will try and see U2 in Seattle next year although I'll play the craigslist game as opposed to pay $100 to watch from the top row in Quest Field. Haven't seen them since the opening night of the War tour in 1983 when my big brother took me to the Dundee Caird Hall. Still kicking myself for missing the Achtung Baby show in Glasgow in 1992 when I was as skint as I have ever been.

His voice is still pretty amazing. Just check out the 360 tour DVD.

Seriously? When I hear him sing now I hear a lot of speaking and sometimes shouting of the lyrics and a big loss dynamics and range. "With or Without You" sounds plain bad now because of his voice and I think the reason that U2 play "Bad" so infrequently now is that Bono has lost the ability to sing it well. What's noticeable to me is how much his voice has gone downhill in the last ten years. Listen to something like the live version of "Stay" in 2000 and what he is capable of now. As a REM fan too, I was blown away by how much Michael Stipe's voice has improved when I saw them live in 2008. Likewise, Neil Finn on Crowded House's new album "Intriguer". Just an observation not a criticism.

I've listened to a ton of U2 bootlegs for every tour and yeah there are some shows where Bono's voice is shot. On others though (even in the 360 tour, especially in the beginning) it is simply amazing. Although, I kind of now take back what I said about Bono's voice on the 360 Tour DVD. That was one of the last shows and his voice was a bit tired which is a shame to have that be the tour document. But I've listened to a lot of bootlegs on this past tour and I wish that some of those shows were chosen instead to show how amazing his voice still is.

I've listened to a ton of U2 bootlegs for every tour and yeah there are some shows where Bono's voice is shot. On others though (even in the 360 tour, especially in the beginning) it is simply amazing. Although, I kind of now take back what I said about Bono's voice on the 360 Tour DVD. That was one of the last shows and his voice was a bit tired which is a shame to have that be the tour document. But I've listened to a lot of bootlegs on this past tour and I wish that some of those shows were chosen instead to show how amazing his voice still is.

Fair point. I'd still say he's gone downhill a lot. Just watched "One" from the Rosebowl. Oh dear. I've read some stuff to suggest that his frenetic lifestyle even on the road means that he rarely rests his voice the way he should.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

U2 'Spider-Man' Song Debuts on 'Good Morning America

The U2-scored Broadway spectacle "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark" has endured its share of setbacks, but fans finally got a taste of the musical on "Good Morning America" Friday morning (Sept. 10). Reeve Carney, who plays the titular superhero, performed the track "Boy Falling From the Sky" with his alt-rock group Carney this morning at the Hudson Theatre in New York City.