Good news for U2 fans..

Ugh...Some very interesting things here, however I'm a bit wary about all the "edits" ("needs an edit"?

I understand what you're saying. I've liked the new songs on the remastered discs but they aren't "unearthed rarities." My guess on the "Down All The Days (Vsn 1) [CD#4/07] (needs edits)" track is that this is what was listed on the tapes from the studio and they just didn't rte-name the song for the CD.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since no one else has yet, I figured I’d share my experience seeing U2 at the Sphere in Las Vegas last week. (I’m a little behind as I was traveling after the weekend and busy with catching up on work

Yep, they botched Staring At The Sun on the opening night of the PopMart Tour in 1997 and since then they have only played it acoustically. Stay (Faraway, So Close!) & Stuck In A Moment You Can’t

I enjoy the Monster record - but I was not a huge fan of the live show on the cd deluxe edition -- enjoyed the music on the live set, but I thought Stipe's vocals were off -- to much straining, from w

Posted Images

Redpillbox, that old version of Blow Your House Down sounds a lot like All Because Of You. I think A-man knows this, but I bought all 4 volumes of the VHS Rattle & Hum outtakes at a record show in the mid 90s. For whatever reason when I got home to play them they had 0 audio. I will download those R & H Outtakes at some point onto dvd via bit torrents.

I think I found out that some of them have no audio. They were up at Youtube at some point.

I think I found out that some of them have no audio. They were up at Youtube at some point.

Hmm. I'll have to dig these up and watch them from beginning to end. However, I did just find a link for all 4 volumes here : http://www.u2start.c...es-vol-1-2-3-4/

It does mention silent footage, but no "rough edit" of the film.

Edit: DUH!!! Of course the rough footage would be silent because it was shot on film & audio is recorded separately. The footage that does have audio must have made it into post production. Ha. It's funny being a film major I never thought of that. (my Doc Brown eureka moment)

Hmm. I'll have to dig these up and watch them from beginning to end. However, I did just find a link for all 4 volumes here : http://www.u2start.c...es-vol-1-2-3-4/

It does mention silent footage, but no "rough edit" of the film.

Edit: DUH!!! Of course the rough footage would be silent because it was shot on film & audio is recorded separately. The footage that does have audio must have made it into post production. Ha. It's funny being a film major I never thought of that. (my Doc Brown eureka moment)

Maybe we're talking about two different things, but this version, entitled "Rough Cut", which was different than the four-volume outtake set, had perfect audio and was essentially an alternate version of the film. Edit: Here we go: http://www.achtungbootlegs.com/index.php?nav=250&bootId=304

Maybe we're talking about two different things, but this version, entitled "Rough Cut", which was different than the four-volume outtake set, had perfect audio and was essentially an alternate version of the film. Edit: Here we go: http://www.achtungbo...=250&bootId=304

I have never seen that. I hope they someday do a big boxset release of Rattle & Hum. I still think that is some of the best concert footage I have ever seen.

Maybe when the Achtung Baby re-master comes out I can sell my Achtung Baby era Propaganda magazines for big bucks.

I have never seen that. I hope they someday do a big boxset release of Rattle & Hum. I still think that is some of the best concert footage I have ever seen.

Maybe when the Achtung Baby re-master comes out I can sell my Achtung Baby era Propaganda magazines for big bucks.

it would be cool to have the live version of Exit and Bad from that movie.

• 2 weeks later...

I've listened to Achtung Baby twice this month to pump myself up for the reissue. After nearly 10 years of listening, the album still blows me away. Its place in the context of their discography only makes it more astonishing. Can anyone think of another example (other than The Beatles) of a band as big as U2 were during The Joshua Tree attempting a complete reinvention and emerging so triumphantly? It may be their best album.

Also, despite the hate it gets, Stuck In a Moment still gives me chills. Walk On, not so much.

Also, despite the hate it gets, Stuck In a Moment still gives me chills.

I think they performed this live on Late Night TV recently, just Bono and The Edge with an acoustic while still sitting in the interview chairs.

(I may have already mentioned this earlier)

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I'm worried that looks like those five minutes of VH1 Behind the Music dragged out interminably. We get it, you had nothing going on until 'One' came along. I'm sorry but, isn't that how record making goes? You write songs, and eventually you have an album. Let's hear more about The Fly.

I think that they will cover almost every song in the film. I think that they used One to appeal to a potentially broader audience. I do know that U2 performed most of Achtung Baby in a Vancouver theater over the summer that was filmed by Guggenheim, so each song should have some story behind it.

To me the film looks ok. And then Bono talking about being crap until this came out seems like typical Bono creating and taking back statements to sound more interesting at the time. He doesn't appreciate anything prior to 1991? I highly doubt that.

I do look forward to some unreleased live footage of ZooTV. I would have preferred a DVD of an unreleased show. Hell, every show was recorded. Oh well. The 1992 Outside Broadcast D.C. show will have to do and is available on most torrent sites.

Subscribers of Showtime will be glad to know that this will premiere on October 29th. I don't know how much of a theatrical run this will have.

u2roolz, do you happen to know about/have that radio broadcast circa ZooTV (my brain's foggy on the specifics - my brother sent me a cassette of it taped off the radio back in 92-93). It was interview/live stuff/goofy shit (I recall in particular a moment with Bono begging to be let inside, knocking on a door yelling "I'm the LV! Lead singer, let me in!").

Yes! I do have it on an old KTS (Italian bootleg company) single cd called Outside Broadcast. It was pretty much a companion piece to the FOX/MTV ZooTV special around the same time. I think there's about 12 songs with like you said interviews and bits. It was funny though and kind of weird. I could probably upload that and put it on sendspace or something like that for you. I know that it isn't on my iPod yet.

R-150-2439102-1284115291.jpegOutsideBroadcast_contraportada.jpg

Edit: OK. Maybe it wasn't a KTS release. I think they did the Zooropa Dublin & Zoomerang Sydney shows in 93.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A host of famous names, including The Killers, Jack White, Nine Inch Nails, Snow Patrol, Patti Smith and Depeche Mode, have re-created U2’s Achtung Baby album in celebration of its 20th anniversary.

The collection of brand new recordings, 'AHK-toong BAY-bi Covered', also marks the 25th anniversary of Q Magazine, and Q Editor in Chief Paul Rees said he believes the album sets a new - and higher - benchmark for the growing popularity of free CD's. 'Not only in the sense that each of the tracks are brand new recordings by some of the biggest and most iconic names in music such as Jack White, Nine Inch Nails and Patti Smith, but also in that several of them mark the first new material we have heard from these acts in a long time – such as those by The Killers, Damien Rice and Garbage.

'This is an entirely appropriate way to mark Q's anniversary and that of Achtung Baby, one of the pivotal albums in our lifetime.'

The magazine/CD package will be available in store from October 26th and also fromwww.qthemusic.com.

The full track listing for 'AHK-toong BAY-bi Covered': Nine Inch Nails – Zoo Station;

U2 (Jacques Lu Cont Mix) – Even Better Than The Real Thing; Damien Rice – One; Patti Smith – Until The End Of The World; Garbage – Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses; Depeche Mode – So Cruel; Snow Patrol – Mysterious Ways; The Fray – Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World; Gavin Friday – The Fly; The Killers – Ultraviolet (Light My Way); Glasvegas – Acrobat; Jack White – Love Is Blindness.

~~~~~~~A bit more excited to hear this than some of the unreleased demos that I've heard a long time ago in that well circulated bootleg Axteing Beibei (sp?). Plus, not super thrilled to shell out the big bucks to hear & own the tracks that I want the most. Seriously?! If I buy the double disc version, I will only get one new track. Oh well. Time to go rob a bank or....

Back on topic, I hope that they flip The Fly & Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World. I'm not sure why that's wrong.

The Killers almost seem too perfect to do (one of my all time faves) Ultraviolet. Can't wait to hear what Jack White cooks up for Love Is Blindness. I'm assuming he reimagines the guitar solo(s).

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/u2-revisit-achtung-baby-and-question-their-future-20111024

Once you weed through the typical Bono-hype, talking points, some interesting tid-bits...Specifically, this got me excited:

"'For the band, rediscovering the wildly different lyrics and arrangements on the early "kindergarten" versions of the songs was revelatory – "Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World," for instance, sounds like an Irish folk tune. "The first time the paint goes on the canvas is a very, very exciting moment," says Bono. He was intrigued by a line in the early "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" that recasts its story as a "parasitic" love affair ("Your innocence I've experienced"), while the Edge is convinced the more restrained vocal melody on that version is superior to the released track.

One of the more intriguing outtakes, "Down All the Days," has the same backing track as "Numb," from U2's 1993 follow-up, Zooropa, with Bono singing an entirely different song. "It's this quite unhinged electronic backing track with a very traditional melody and lyrics," says the Edge. "It almost worked.""

http://www.spin.com/...bluesy-u2-cover

Pretty intense cover of Love Is Blindness. Very White Stripes-esque while retaining some of the original's flavor, especially Bono's vocals.

Thanks for posting. Love it. Still love the original more, of course. Can't wait to hear the rest, especially Glasvegas' "Acrobat," My favorite track. Anyone know anything about this band?