Good news for U2 fans..

I am sure I am not the only one who has noticed an inverse relationship between Bono's hyperbolic blather prior to every new record and the quality of its contents in the last decade. I think my favourite chestnut was describing "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" as U2's "Who's Next" before it came out. U2's "Face Dances" might have been more accurate.

There was a definite artistic progression with every record from "Boy" through "Pop" (maybe with the exception of "October"). Since then they've played it safe. "No Line On the Horizon" had some interesting ideas but isn't any great leap from what came before.

Good argument. "Face Dances" LOL

I remember Bono calling All Because Of You a punk song. WTF.

I may be the only person here who likes the song A Man and A Woman.

Snap. I remembered someone did.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since no one else has yet, I figured I’d share my experience seeing U2 at the Sphere in Las Vegas last week. (I’m a little behind as I was traveling after the weekend and busy with catching up on work

Yep, they botched Staring At The Sun on the opening night of the PopMart Tour in 1997 and since then they have only played it acoustically. Stay (Faraway, So Close!) & Stuck In A Moment You Can’t

I enjoy the Monster record - but I was not a huge fan of the live show on the cd deluxe edition -- enjoyed the music on the live set, but I thought Stipe's vocals were off -- to much straining, from w

Posted Images

I'm finding the "Kintergarten" version of the Achtung Baby songs very interesting. "Zoo Station" with no vocal processing. Completely changes the feel of the song and the lyric is pretty different, thought most of the backing tracks sound the same.

I'm finding the "Kintergarten" version of the Achtung Baby songs very interesting. "Zoo Station" with no vocal processing. Completely changes the feel of the song and the lyric is pretty different, thought most of the backing tracks sound the same.

These were the stolen demos, right? Very early rough sound sketches. I've only heard one of them so far and it sounds like the bootleg stuff.

These were the stolen demos, right? Very early rough sound sketches. I've only heard one of them so far and it sounds like the bootleg stuff.

Not at all, which is great. These are versions that bridge the gap from the Hansa bootleg and the final versions. They are nothing that I've heard before. Most have very similar song shapes and musical backing tracks with alternate vocal melodies and different lyrics. Most of the lyrics are 80% there, verses switched, different choruses, etc. For instance, "One" is changed into a mostly acoustic number without the famous guitar figure out front. Probably not something that'll go into heavy rotation, but really, really cool to see how the songs evolved.

"Heaven and Hell" is pretty good.

I wonder if they listened to some of these in prepping for "No Line..." "Heaven and Hell" sounds a little bit like "Moment of Surrender," and I'm not sure of any other songs by them that have that soul quality.

"Lady With the Spinning Head" (extended mix) might be my favorite U2 song ever, and is certainly the one I play to emphasize to non-believers what a shift "Achtung Baby" was from "Rattle and Hum."

"...so you had 'All I Want is You.' And then, nothing for about 18 months. And then they start recording...this [click]"