Good news for U2 fans..

OK, I've finally heard all of the 6 "new" songs from the reissue (Blow your House Down, Heaven and Hell, Oh Berlin, Near the Island, Down all the Days, Everybody Loves a Winner) I like them all. Only wish I didn't have to shell out $125 to buy these 6 songs.

Everybody Loves a Winner has some great soul to it. I'm looking for a link I can post. My favorite so far is "Down all the Days." It's nearly the same instrumental track as Numb from Zooropa. Wow.

http://vimeo.com/31510343

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since no one else has yet, I figured I’d share my experience seeing U2 at the Sphere in Las Vegas last week. (I’m a little behind as I was traveling after the weekend and busy with catching up on work

Yep, they botched Staring At The Sun on the opening night of the PopMart Tour in 1997 and since then they have only played it acoustically. Stay (Faraway, So Close!) & Stuck In A Moment You Can’t

I enjoy the Monster record - but I was not a huge fan of the live show on the cd deluxe edition -- enjoyed the music on the live set, but I thought Stipe's vocals were off -- to much straining, from w

Posted Images

OK, I've finally heard all of the 6 "new" songs from the reissue (Blow your House Down, Heaven and Hell, Oh Berlin, Near the Island, Down all the Days, Everybody Loves a Winner) I like them all. Only wish I didn't have to shell out $125 to buy these 6 songs.

Everybody Loves a Winner has some great soul to it. I'm looking for a link I can post. My favorite so far is "Down all the Days." It's nearly the same instrumental track as Numb from Zooropa. Wow.

http://vimeo.com/31510343

A shocking rip-off - $125 to get those six songs. Yet another example of U2, Inc. taking priority over U2 the band.

Well, for a $125 you get a lot more than 6 songs, to be clear. I'm sure U2 Inc. takes into account that even though thousands of fans will just DL pirated copies, enough diehards will drop the dough for the whole thing to pay off.

Well, for a $125 you get a lot more than 6 songs, to be clear. I'm sure U2 Inc. takes into account that even though thousands of fans will just DL pirated copies, enough diehards will drop the dough for the whole thing to pay off.

True. I already own all of the b-sides on multiple formats, the album, Zooropa and ZOOTV LIVE FROM SYDNEY and nearly all of the videos on either "Achtung Baby: The Videos, the Cameos, and a Whole Lot of Interference from Zoo TV" or the "Best of 1990-2000" DVD, so to me I look at it as 6 new songs. I've always considered myself a diehard. I even bought the No Line on the Horizon box set. But I doubt I'll buy this set.

I did sign up for about a dozen contests yesterday to try to win a copy!

I bought the 10 disc whatever-version for $115 from Amazon. I had talked myself into thinking it was crazy. I then talked myself into it. Decided because it was my favorite album of all time, it was worth the price tag. I'm happy with it. Having sat with it for a few days, the value in it for me is the following:

1) The Documentary DVD

2) The B-sides and Bonus Cuts

3) The Alternative Takes Disc

4) The book (and I'm not usually a fan of these--who needs more pensive band photos?) is great. Great photo prints, alternative shots from the album cover collage, and facsimile photos of some hand-written lyrics and studio-tape covers (I always geek out about stuff like this). First person accounts from the major players (learned that Lanois actually played the guitar part that starts 'One')

5) I had never upgraded my VHS copy of the Sydney show...

So for a couple DVDs and 2-3 cds of brand-new material and throw in some great art prints and a book with stellar production value (they clearly took their time with it)...to me that's worth $115 given how important this album is to me. But, I can understand that it wouldn't be for everyone.

• 1 year later...

A bit of news about the new album from Rolling Stone.com:

U2 brought a flurry of activity to New York City over the past several days, stoking rumors about the band's next album. All four members – Bono, the Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr. – were at Electric Lady Studios on Friday, where Danger Mouse was completing his mixing work on the new, untitled album, reportedly due in the fall. Coldplay's Chris Martin was spotted at the studio as well, though whether he was actively participating or just hanging out is unclear. Late in the day on Friday, the band went onto the Electric Lady rooftop to record an acoustic version of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" for an art project called Inside Out.

U2 have been working steadily on this album since before wrapping their 2009-2011 world tour. They originally planned on releasing a second series of songs from the No Line on the Horizon sessions titled Songs of Ascent, but it appears they've scrapped that idea in favor of fresh material. They worked briefly with Lady Gaga producer RedOne, but soon settled on Danger Mouse.

"We very much want to have a record out by the end of the year, September, October, November; that kind of time," Clayton said recently. "We're working with Danger Mouse, who's a smart guy. He's on it; he's excited. It's a great team and feels very liberating at the moment – anything goes. We have an abundance of riches, we could make three or four different records and justify that to ourselves, but to make the best record you can, you have to steer away from the ones you can make easily. We're really trying to get into territory that we're not comfortable in. If that makes sense."

In a recent interview with the Globe and Mail, producer Daniel Lanois said Bono played him tracks from the new album with Danger Mouse. "It sounded amazing," he said. "Very, very big and powerful-sounding. Some of it was adventurous. There were shades of Achtung Baby." That should keep fans buzzing.

I wasn't that thrilled with No Line On The Horizon (weak songwriting? uninspired-sounding to my ears?) and was kinda intrigued with the potential of Songs Of Ascent or at least the possibility of hearing the sessions they did with Rick Rubin. I don't know if the Rick Rubin stuff was going to make it to Songs Of Ascent or not. I haven't searched for bootlegs of the Rubin sessions, anybody know if they are out there?

Just found this from Paste mag in 2010. Sounds like the rock album he mentions is probably the Rubin sessions that I want to hear.

Bono told Fricke the following when asked about the new songs:

“We have Songs of Ascent, which is the meditative work that was meant to complement No Line on the Horizon. We’ve got a rock album. We also have a club-sounding album. And then we have the Spider-Man [musical] stuff.

Across those four, there are 25-30 songs. Now we have to decide how we go about releasing them? Do we release them in their groups? Chris Martin [of Coldplay] called me and said, ‘I hear you’ve got all these albums going. I have a great idea. Why not just pick the best songs from all of them and put them out now?’ And I’m like, ‘Hmm…’ [strokes his chin]."

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

New song in Mandela film:

(link - billboard.com)

U2's last album, "No Line on the Horizon," arrived in 2009. In a recent radio interview in Ireland, bassist Adam Clayton confirmed that the band is nearing the finish line on its followup.

"We’re trying to get these 12 songs absolutely right and get them finished by the end of November, and then we can kind of enjoy Christmas," he said. "It's a bit of a return to U2 of old, but with the maturity, if you like, of the U2 of the last 10 years. It’s a combination of those two things and it’s a really interesting hybrid."

Fun fact:

I was remembering hearing Under A Blood Red Sky back in the day and wondering why Alan Gratzer (REO Speedwagon drummer) was playing in a new wave band. I misunderstood young Bono when he was saying the band members names.

That's funny - reminds me of listening to the radio in anticipation of hearing the new Michael Jackson song that Eddie Van Halen was playing on, and my circuits got so crossed I ended up hearing a song then going to my sister and saying "Michael Jackson and Eddie Van Halen are calling themselves Culture Club and their song is boring."

BTW that U2 song in the trailer is awful. 

From the band site's feature on Rattle & Hum's anniversary:

It's got All I Want is You. 'Van Dyke Parks came into the studio,' recalled Edge. 'Listened to what we'd done, went off and wrote this absolutely gorgesous and incredibly haunting arrangement which lasted two and a half minutes. It was a great way to end the album in that it has a traditional basis but it was a truly U2 song.' 

I never knew about that.