Good news for U2 fans..

^ I was also at both Phoenix shows (flew out from DC and taped; see Dime or U2Start for my recordings) and loved both.   

First night I was on the floor, so I didn't really get much of the spectacle of the screen and all of that, but the floor was a damn party! Especially during the little set on the 'e' stage.  The spontaneous bust out of In God's Country was an extremely unexpected and pleasant surprise even if it was just the chords (not the real guitar parts) and featuring a fan on acoustic.  Being down there on the floor, especially during the beginning and end of the show you really get the sense that they're still just a little four piece band no matter how large they get. I loved hearing songs like Electric Co and I Will Follow seeing them on a single stage with one light and no screens all huddled around the drums.  Also loved seeing Bad.  These were my 3rd and 4th U2 shows and that's one that I was chasing.  I really liked Still Haven't Found as a closer, worked very much like 40 on the Vertigo tour. Edge played the part all the way off the stage and into the tunnel and it was a nice way to end.

Second night I was in up in the 200s sections angled a bit behind the stage on Edge's side so I had a perfect view of the screens. That's when the show really hit me.  I was bummed at first about the lack of change in the first half of the setlist (other than the Out of Control/Electric Co switch) but seeing it from up top and being able to really understand what is going on made all the difference.  The first half of the show is one hell of a ride through the history of Bono and the band.  I didn't think it seemed conceited at all, more that he had a story to tell and that was his format.  They're clearly all very emotional songs for him (especially Iris) and the use of the screens really in that segment (Iris > Cedarwood > Song for Someone) really conveyed that IMO.  The Invisible > Even Better segment fell kinda flat IMO.  The whole playing in the screen thing was pretty cool, but I think there are better songs to do it with (and I don't like the new arrangement of Even Better).  Again, the little set on the 'e' stage was like a little party. Hearing the Rattle and Hum songs was great.  Miracle Drug is one of my favorites, so I'm really happy they switched out that opening encore slot.  Unlike the night before, I really did not like One as a closer.  There's nothing exciting or resovly about the end of that song and it just felt like an awkward ending.

Overall I had a fantastic time.  They sound great and I really like the way they've worked the new stuff into the set.  They could (and probably will) start changing up a bit more than just those set songs, but when you see it it makes sense (at least the first chunk of the show).  Sit in the uppers on the long part of the arena.  Those are the best bang for your buck on this tour.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since no one else has yet, I figured I’d share my experience seeing U2 at the Sphere in Las Vegas last week. (I’m a little behind as I was traveling after the weekend and busy with catching up on work

Yep, they botched Staring At The Sun on the opening night of the PopMart Tour in 1997 and since then they have only played it acoustically. Stay (Faraway, So Close!) & Stuck In A Moment You Can’t

I enjoy the Monster record - but I was not a huge fan of the live show on the cd deluxe edition -- enjoyed the music on the live set, but I thought Stipe's vocals were off -- to much straining, from w

Posted Images

Funny! I saw opsopcopolis' recordings on U2Start & recognized his handle from here. Glad both of you enjoyed the Phoenix shows. Following along at home I was a little bummed about the 2nd night's lack of changes. Oh well. This 5 night run in L.A. will be interesting to watch and could be similar with lack of diversity. While discussing L.A., I should bring up that ticket drops have been happening before every show. And it's been mostly GA tix. 

I wasn't going to download the Phoenix shows, but from what I heard it's the best crowd on the tour and that makes a huge difference, so I may change my mind. The 1st 4 shows all sound fantastic. 

I've always liked that song In God's Country. I think I have a poster from back in the day that has a photo of Bono on it and that song title on the bottom of the poster. 

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up the re-masters I didn't have the other day. Boy/October/War/Under A Blood Red Sky. I got them for a good price - except for War - which I paid too much for - 50 bucks.

• 3 weeks later...

The U2 show last night (3rd night Chicago) was great. 

Here's the setlist.

They played Gloria for the first time in a long time, and there was a rumor that Two Hearts Beat As One was played at the soundcheck, but it didn't make it into the setlist. I don't think they've played that one since the 80s?

Bono's voice sounded great. He cracked a couple times reaching the strong high notes during Every Breaking Wave, then opted not to reach for those notes after...

Adam started the show in a glorious white leather motorcycle jacket, and he's currently my #1 ranked white coiffed old rocker dude, surpassing David Byrne.

The Edge was wearing his ridiculous Ali G skull cap, as usual. I want to see your glorious bald head, Edge!

Larry Mullen Jr. had the exact same sweet slicked back almost-pompadour he's always sported. He looks like he hasn't aged.

Bono's left arm is definitely impaired - it looked like it had a lack of range-of-motion, but Bono was jumping around and seemed to be enjoying himself.

They definitely brought the sonic bombast - and the sound was great, except for the cacophony during Bullet the Blue Sky... Whatever Bono was preaching into his bullhorn, whatever he was trying to communicate - was just lost in the noise melange. My wife, not a U2 fan, asked me "Is this a real song? What's going on?"

I hadn't seen U2 since their Popmart tour, which was mid-late 90s? While looking over the audience, all I could think of is "Man, this audience seems to be mostly a bunch of hedge fund guys, which I guess I should have expected when lower bowl seats were over $700 face. I opted for joining the fan club in December to get access to the GA floor tickets, which were $65 each. 

They played Gloria for the first time in a long time, and there was a rumor that Two Hearts Beat As One was played at the soundcheck, but it didn't make it into the setlist. I don't think they've played that one since the 80s?

I'll freak out if they play Two Hearts Beat As One again. I think the last time they played it was in December of 1989. 

We have 200-level seats for July 19. I'm really hoping they do a ticket drop in the next few weeks for the first night. I'd love to go both nights we'll be in New York, but GA is all I can afford at this point.

This will be my first time seeing U2 since the Buffalo show in 2005. I had tickets for the first leg of 360, but life got in the way and I had to sell them. I wasn't too keen on the new album at first, but something finally clicked. I've had it in my car stereo for probably almost two months now and I haven't gotten sick of it. 

There have been ticket drops typically the day before the show around noon time. I'd recommend paying attention to the atU2 Twitter page, since they've posted every single ticket drop as it happens.

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f314/ticket-drops-thread-218208-30.html   Here's a link for ticket drops over at Interference. 

I was thinking about writing about this tour a few times and maybe I'll wait until after the last NYC show. I still have yet to see them this tour. I get to see them in Boston next week at all 4 shows. Slightly disappointed at the lack of setlist diversity, but they seem to be getting better at that as the tour goes on & winds down.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll freak out if they play Two Hearts Beat As One again. I think the last time they played it was in December of 1989.

We have 200-level seats for July 19. I'm really hoping they do a ticket drop in the next few weeks for the first night. I'd love to go both nights we'll be in New York, but GA is all I can afford at this point.

This will be my first time seeing U2 since the Buffalo show in 2005. I had tickets for the first leg of 360, but life got in the way and I had to sell them. I wasn't too keen on the new album at first, but something finally clicked. I've had it in my car stereo for probably almost two months now and I haven't gotten sick of it.

Hey I'll be at Sunday's show too in the 200's section I'm flying solo I'll be in section 201 row 1 seat 4 say hi!

I saw the Saturday show in Boston. My overriding comment is how disappointed my wife and I were with the sound system. It was one big loud mess, echoey with sound bouncing all over the place. There were times we could barely make out the melody line of songs we know so well. We were sitting in what should have been great seats, band management seats in row 8 of lodge section 11. Basically right at the red line. I go to a lot of shows, and see arena shows as well, and this was the worst I've heard since REM did the first show in the new Garden, before they installed the sound baffles in the ceiling. Other than the terrible sound, the show was great. Particularly the a/v technology, the use of the screen alongside the catwalk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I saw the Saturday show in Boston. My overriding comment is how disappointed my wife and I were with the sound system. It was one big loud mess, echoey with sound bouncing all over the place. There were times we could barely make out the melody line of songs we know so well. We were sitting in what should have been great seats, band management seats in row 8 of lodge section 11. Basically right at the red line. I go to a lot of shows, and see arena shows as well, and this was the worst I've heard since REM did the first show in the new Garden, before they installed the sound baffles in the ceiling. Other than the terrible sound, the show was great. Particularly the a/v technology, the use of the screen alongside the catwalk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's too bad. The sound system at the United Center in Chicago (home of both the Bulls and the Blackhawks) was fine from where I was standing. 

The only time that the sound was extremely messy was during Bullet the Blue Sky - you couldn't tell what the hell was going on. Were they covering Metal Machine Music?

I had no issues with the sound on any of the Boston shows. The 1st & 3rd (last night) I was in the GA in between the i/e stages. The 2nd night I was in the balcony and that sounded perfect too. I'll see how tonight goes, since it'll be my first Loge (section 5) experience on this tour. It did feel like they turned down the sound last night. I'd have to rank the shows in the order in which they happened. 

I can sort of see how Bono's new rant during Bullet The Blue Sky would sound unintelligible coming through a megaphone, but I thought that it sounded clear or maybe I knew the new rant from listening to this tour's bootlegs. Last night he used the megaphone during the 1st 2 verses of the same song and it sounded awesome that way. They also did The Crystal Ballroom (bonus track on disc 2 of new album) last night that went perfectly into The Rolling Stones' Miss You. All I Want Is You was a treat and it also featured a guest guitarist pulled from the floor. It was a young woman that Bono met from outside the arena earlier in the day.

And in closing I saw none other than Ali Hewson last night near the Southside GA entrance. I was finishing my water before heading down there. She looked gorgeous, had a laminate, & was with a friend. She seemed lost looking for her seats. I almost went over to help her, but she walked away walked away.

I'm getting excited for this weekend, and I'm still really hoping for Saturday GAs. Between two Facebook groups, Interference, and dozens of checks to the Ticketmaster app, hopefully I'll get lucky!

U2 was my favorite band pretty much my whole life until I heard Nels play jazz guitar. Like any long-term friendship, it fades in and out. There was a period in my life when I listened to them almost constantly. I went a few years without really listening to them at all and completely missed the last tour (I opted to see Patti Smith on the night I could have seen them in Baltimore...no regrets there). Now I'm more excited to see them again than I have been for any show in a long time.

remphish, I'll try to come over and say hi!

I'm getting excited for this weekend, and I'm still really hoping for Saturday GAs. Between two Facebook groups, Interference, and dozens of checks to the Ticketmaster app, hopefully I'll get lucky!

U2 was my favorite band pretty much my whole life until I heard Nels play jazz guitar. Like any long-term friendship, it fades in and out. There was a period in my life when I listened to them almost constantly. I went a few years without really listening to them at all and completely missed the last tour (I opted to see Patti Smith on the night I could have seen them in Baltimore...no regrets there). Now I'm more excited to see them again than I have been for any show in a long time.

remphish, I'll try to come over and say hi!

sounds good!

• 2 weeks later...

U2's Innocence & Experience Tour Doc to premiere on HBO Nov 7th. And U2's Paris show on Nov 14th will be broadcast live on HBO.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/u2-to-air-innocence-show-behind-the-scenes-doc-on-hbo-20150730

Longtime U2 fansite, atU2.com, threw a 20th anniversary party last night in NYC at The Cutting Room and they had Unforgettable Fire, U2 tribute band, perform some rare cuts. Well, after the crowd mingled for awhile, they thought that their eyes were playing tricks on them. The Edge & Adam Clayton joined the tribute band on Where The Streets Have No Name and Out Of Control and left immediately after. Pretty cool! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5rSIE9Ivlw

U2 also dusted off Two Hearts Beat As One at the 6th NYC show earlier this week. The last time that was played was in late 1989. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x2yVzHNqjs

http://www.earwolf.com/show/u-talkin-u2-to-me/

U2 showed up on Scott Aukerman & Adam Scott's U Talkin' U2 To Me podcast which is pretty freaking awesome. They've done a podcast per U2 album, I think. Bono played them 3 tracks from Songs Of Experience and something from some side project. Off the air, of course. 

The interview begins about 38 minutes in.

U2 talking to me.jpg

• 2 months later...

An admin from the U2 FB group for fans selling tickets to other fans chatted with Dallas Shoo, The Edge's guitar tech, last night. It was after U2's appearance on TFI Friday. Anyways, Dallas claims that Songs Of Experience will be out sometime in December and that the majority of the album is already mixed. He also mentioned that U2 will stick to arenas again next year in Europe & U.S. A poster replied that he has a friend who works at Live Nation & he claims that U2 will open their U.S. tour next June in New York City.

Take the info with a grain of salt, but the structure that's being set out seems to make logistical sense. The HBO special next month should create some buzz for their tour which only touched 11 North American cities this past year. I'd also expect the next leg(s) of the tour to be announced before the year ends much like last year. I can see them going on sale in early January 2016 to sell U2.com subscriptions. And with a new album out and a shaky promise of having a new setlist, I can see it going down like that.

• 1 month later...