Good news for U2 fans..

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since no one else has yet, I figured I’d share my experience seeing U2 at the Sphere in Las Vegas last week. (I’m a little behind as I was traveling after the weekend and busy with catching up on work

Yep, they botched Staring At The Sun on the opening night of the PopMart Tour in 1997 and since then they have only played it acoustically. Stay (Faraway, So Close!) & Stuck In A Moment You Can’t

I enjoy the Monster record - but I was not a huge fan of the live show on the cd deluxe edition -- enjoyed the music on the live set, but I thought Stipe's vocals were off -- to much straining, from w

Posted Images

A few U2 fansites are saying that U2 is going to announce a 30th Anniversary Tour of The Joshua Tree on this Monday the 9th with tickets going on sale Tuesday the 17th. The rumored dates are May 20th @ the Rose Bowl and a few shows in East Rutherford's Met Life Stadium in late June. There also rumors of them playing Bonnarroo.

The rumored money grabbing Anniversary "mini" tour is set to hit stadiums in a quick 8-10 stops. I'm not sure how part 2 of the Innocence & Experience Tour will happen. Perhaps in the fall? It looks like Live Nation is milking their contract with U2 this year. I'm hoping that they don't hit the Boston area with this supposed tour. I'd rather them tour behind a new album.

A few U2 fansites are saying that U2 is going to announce a 30th Anniversary Tour of The Joshua Tree on this Monday the 9th with tickets going on sale Tuesday the 17th. The rumored dates are May 20th @ the Rose Bowl and a few shows in East Rutherford's Met Life Stadium in late June. There also rumors of them playing Bonnarroo.

The rumored money grabbing Anniversary "mini" tour is set to hit stadiums in a quick 8-10 stops. I'm not sure how part 2 of the Innocence & Experience Tour will happen. Perhaps in the fall? It looks like Live Nation is milking their contract with U2 this year. I'm hoping that they don't hit the Boston area with this supposed tour. I'd rather them tour behind a new album.

Ouch. To me, doing that is akin to them throwing in the towel. That's the kind of shit I would expect Oasis to do.

^I like this idea because I would like to hear some more tracks live off that album..if it is not a full blown Joshua Tree tour I don't see the harm...

Om a sort of related item I just finally bought Zooropa on vinyl. I enjoyed it more than I remembered...

^^^ I haven't listened to that album in a long time. Looking at the songlist, I will say that Zooropa and Stay (Faraway, So Close) are two all-time classics. Lemon's a great one, and The Wanderer is one of my favorite Johnny Cash songs. 

I went drifting through the capitals of tin

Where men can't walk or freely talk
And sons turn their fathers in.

^Stay is an absolute classic. I enjoyed listening lemon and numb again as I seriously haven't heard those songs in several years. Daddy's Going to Pay For Your Crashed Car sounded good to me again too. It was definitely a risky album for them and I appreciate the unconventional style this album is in.

Ah I just realized the 25th anniversary of Achtung Baby passed wish they did a tour of that over Joshua Tree if I could choose

In a video message to fans on Christmas Day, U2 alluded to a busy 2017, with Bono declaring, "To honor 30 years of Joshua Tree, we have some very, very special shows coming."

Bono also confirmed in the Christmas video message that Songs of Experience, the follow-up to Songs of Innocence, will be released in 2017.

Some more rumors: U2 is going to use the same stage & stage backdrop for the Joshua Tree Anniversary tour. Mumford & Sons are rumored to open the U.S. shows. Noel Gallagher is set to open the European shows.

Cleveland's Progressive Field is also another rumored location along with the Rose Bowl & Met Life Stadium. Plus, quite a few European cities have been tossed around.

A-Man is right. They posted a video on Xmas with their 2017 plans & Billboard ran an article on Xmas that wound up being pulled from the site in an hour.

There's also word that they might release a new mix of an old B-Side or one of the bonus tracks from the 20th Anniversary cd release: Beautiful Ghost/Introduction To The Songs Of Experience.

It is one of the greatest albums of all time. It's what took them to super stardom. I would say I never thought they would do something like that. But it seems most every old band is now doing that sort of tour.

Maybe we will see a 6 hour director's cut of Rattle and Hum. I would buy that.

Lol! The Boston area show is rumored to be the 3rd night of Solid Sound: June 25th @ Gillette Stadium. 2nd show the night after. I'm also hearing The Lumineers are opening the Chicago shows. Someone on the U2 msg board has all of the rumored dates. I'll try to track it down & post it here. Edit: take these dates with a grain of salt, but I'm hearing that a lot of radio stations are supposed to make a big announcement on Monday morning.

image.jpg

A few more images popping up around the U2 fansites. I do like that the Bonnaroo ad says that U2 will play The Joshua Tree. I heard that they shot the video for Red Hill Mining Town because that was originally supposed to be the 2nd single, but the band pushed for I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For because it would be easier on Bono's voice.

U2 has sporadically played In God's Country, One Tree Hill & Mothers Of The Disappeared in their respective locales (Arizona, New Zealand & South America, respectively). I have no desire to hear Trip Thru Your Wires, since it's my least favorite U2 song. I am looking forward to Exit which has always been an amazing live track. The first 5 tracks have always been staples in previous tours. I think every diehard fan is looking forward to Red Hill Mining Town which has never been played live. We'll see if he can hit those notes.

image.jpg

image.jpg

It does and I hated the idea. I still kind of hate it. I'd prefer the "Experience" leg of the Innocence & Experience Tour, but I'm guessing that Live Nation is behind this because they paid them a lot of money and need to see some profits. I'm not sure how they can tour behind the new album in the fall. This stadium summer tour seems to saturate the market & satisfy the casual fan. I think they'll drop in a few of the new songs.

The 2nd leg of the 360 Tour in 2011 turned into an Achtung Baby 20th "anniversary" tour with them opening with 4 tracks from that album and playing less tracks from No Line On The Horizon.

I'll be happy to see them again so soon. Last time was only 2 years ago. This time though I'll be literally coming from Solid Sound. I'm waiting to see if Wilco plays on the 3rd night (Sunday) which is U2's 1st show in Boston.

Yeah! I had a weird feeling that something like that would happen, even before these rumored dates floated around. I hope that the 2 Boston shows don't wind up being on the Friday & Saturday of Solid Sound. Otherwise, it looks like my whole summer concert going experiences will be in 4 straight nights.

I always enjoyed Van Dieman's Land.

I never gotten around to see U2, friends of ours want to go to a Chicago show - we may go. 

My friend is excited - she was too young to see the Joshua Tree tour - her first tour was Zoo TV and she has seen every tour since.

I remember giving $5 to a friend in my high school for his copy of Joshua Tree --- he brought it to school, where we had very skinny lockers - it barely fit.