Good news for U2 fans..

So I saw U2 for the Joshua Tree Tour for the first-time in 34 years in Seattle at the CenturyLink Stadium (having seen the opening night of the "War" tour in 1983). Overall, I thought it was a fantastic show. I love the Joshua Tree album and it was a genuine treat to hear songs like "One Tree Hill", "Mothers of the Disappeared" and "Exit''. Ironically, I didn't see them in 1987 because I didn't want to see them play in a stadium at the time.

The band opened with "Sunday Bloody Sunday", "New Year's Day", "A Sort of Homecoming", "Bad" and "Pride"  on a smaller stage in front of the stage before going to the main-stage for the "JT" played in order. I was genuinely surprised by the nostalgic impact of those opening songs. I remembered very clearly the day of Live Aid whilst listening to "Bad" and was taken back to watching the British TV show "The Tube" for "SBS" and "New Year's Day" . Eddie Vedder appeared for a token and brief appearance and sang the final part of the "Mothers of the Disappeared" to close out the main set. Encores included a smattering of hits and the aforementioned new song and an impromptu version of "I Will Follow" at the very-end.

Best parts of the show - the musicianship of the band. The Edge and Larry Mullen JR were both amazing. The stage was a presence to itself and for several songs added a very worthy additional element especially as this was a huge stadium show. Because of its size there were times when I felt like I was watching a concert movie as opposed to a concert but I actually liked that sensation. The not-so-good bits. These are minor quibbles but Bono's voice has clearly changed over time rendering some songs a little limp. While I probably agree with 95% of his sentiments I don't always appreciate his hectoring. I haven't followed U2 closely for a long-time but sensed his preaching was actually a little less intrusive than at some shows. He kept his comments during the Joshua Tree songs to a minimum and even a song as charged as "Bullet The Blue Sky" was played almost identically to the original version without any vocal ad-libs. Also, and I know this is very subjective, I think playing the album in order is less preferable to hearing all the songs mixed into a broader set.

I have always tried to steer clear of 100% nostalgia but am really pleased that I got to see U2 one more time. If you are a bigger fan than me I'd be amazed if you didn't love the show. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since no one else has yet, I figured I’d share my experience seeing U2 at the Sphere in Las Vegas last week. (I’m a little behind as I was traveling after the weekend and busy with catching up on work

Yep, they botched Staring At The Sun on the opening night of the PopMart Tour in 1997 and since then they have only played it acoustically. Stay (Faraway, So Close!) & Stuck In A Moment You Can’t

I enjoy the Monster record - but I was not a huge fan of the live show on the cd deluxe edition -- enjoyed the music on the live set, but I thought Stipe's vocals were off -- to much straining, from w

Posted Images

Re: the new song 'It's The Little Things That Give You Away', I thought it pretty unremarkable. Not unlike a lot of ´Songs of Innocence'.

I took about twenty minute tonight to try and play some of 'The Joshua Tree' on acoustic guitar. Wow - surprised how basic many of the chord structures are. Which made me realize how important the Edge is to the sound of U2 and the production talents of Eno and Lanois. Which brings me back to their newer stuff. So many of the songs don't sound that fleshed out and are missing the amazing arrangements of the earlier stuff. That for all the time they spend in the studio now much of their recent work seems rushed and/or pedestrian to my ears.

I thought the show was fantastic. Maybe the best I've seen them & I started with the War tour. I saw them in 1987 but got too polluted & don't remember that one. I also saw a show right when Achtung came out that was excellent. Before it was a stadium thing. This one was special though. For a stadium show, the sound was amazing. Century Link is actually quite good for stadium acoustics as it was designed with that in mind. I was in the front part of the upper deck. From youtube clips, it seems like Seattle was much better than Vancouver. There were a lot of hassles getting in Vancouver & the band was delayed. + opening night jitters. They were on from the start in Seattle. New Year's & Bad gave me shivers down my spine. Side 2 of Joshua was stellar. The Eddie Vedder/Ben Harper appearance was cool. We get a lot of Eddie at shows in Seattle but this one wasn't intrusive in the least. Huge thumbs up. Go if you can for this tour.

I thought the show was fantastic. Maybe the best I've seen them & I started with the War tour. I saw them in 1987 but got too polluted & don't remember that one. I also saw a show right when Achtung came out that was excellent. Before it was a stadium thing. This one was special though. For a stadium show, the sound was amazing. Century Link is actually quite good for stadium acoustics as it was designed with that in mind. I was in the front part of the upper deck. From youtube clips, it seems like Seattle was much better than Vancouver. There were a lot of hassles getting in Vancouver & the band was delayed. + opening night jitters. They were on from the start in Seattle. New Year's & Bad gave me shivers down my spine. Side 2 of Joshua was stellar. The Eddie Vedder/Ben Harper appearance was cool. We get a lot of Eddie at shows in Seattle but this one wasn't intrusive in the least. Huge thumbs up. Go if you can for this tour.

Nice...I read about the Vedder and Mumford and Sons but they didnt talk about Ben H.

Bad needs to be in the setlist for good...so does All I want Is You (right around Joshua Tree time).

Nice...I read about the Vedder and Mumford and Sons but they didnt talk about Ben H.

Bad needs to be in the setlist for good...so does All I want Is You (right around Joshua Tree time).

Ya, All I Want is You is a fave of mine also. Maybe they will change a few songs around.

• 3 weeks later...

The Saturday Chicago show was pretty damn great. Definitely quite the production. I very impressed with the sound, Bono vocals were a bit hot during the first few tunes, but they finally fixed it and everything sounded pretty perfect.

The Edge was something else - hearing his guitar sounds ring through out Soldier Field was definitely the highlight. Clayton dropped some great bombs/licks, too - that reverberated around the stadium. U2 definitely knows how to make a stadium sound like you in a club. Also really enjoyed seeing and hearing the Edge on keyboards.

It was me and my wife's first time seeing them - it definitely hit us while watching them perform The Joshua Tree - Side 2 was definitely the high light. 

The crowd was interesting --- quite the range. Lot of families - which was nice to see.

Definitely worth the dough and I am glad I finally gotten around to see them.

I saw a rumor on a U2 fan site over the weekend that said that they were going to come back with dates in September. That turned out to be true. They'll be taking the Joshua Tree tour to Detroit, Buffalo, Indy, Minnie, KC, St. Louis & San Diego. (Edit: the rumor actually had them playing New Orleans & Atlanta. Maybe that will be announced later on.) They also are hitting Mexico City & South America.

I can't see a continuation of the Innocence & Experience tour any time soon with all of these dates. Although, word is that they want the new album out this year. We'll see.

I do love The Little Things That Give You Away. It sounded amazing on Jimmy Kimmel. The crescendo is just classic U2, but still something fresh.

I have been paying close attention to the tour & even watched opening night on Periscope. It took awhile to get used to hearing these classic songs so early in a U2 show. The 2nd half of The Joshua Tree really holds up as the end of the main set. Exit has been a standout. A Sort Of Homecoming was dropped for several shows which I found upsetting. It was brought back for the most recent show which was Sunday night in Chicago. I hope to hear that at Gillette Stadium. I'm really looking forward to this show for the same reasons as before: hearing The Joshua Tree. The screen does look amazing, but I'm really there for the music.

I would assume that Bono's pipes would be strained in trying to hit the high hard ones in A Sort of Homecoming, night after night. Even in his prime those were hard ones to hit.The old grey mare just ain't what she used to be. 

Speaking of old pipes, I saw a clip of Liam Gallagher at the recent Manchester benefit show, singing Live Forever, accompanied by Chris Martin. Yeah. Couldn't really hit the notes anymore. Shame.

In Chicago, Bono definitely had his tough moments and it did seem some of the tunes were played in lower key, but I thought his performance was great, none the less.

Well, he has been singing New Year's Day in a lower key & the whole band is too. It has a cool moody vibe to it now. My thought was that they dropped it due to having too many album cuts on this tour. I read that they cut it due to trying to get to The Joshua Tree right out of the gate.

I almost forgot to mention that I was extremely pleased with U2 for once & their double dipping. I could have sworn that the 2017 "remaster" double disc of The Joshua Tree would have b-sides, "unreleased" tracks & remixes and that you needed to buy the expensive box set to get the Madison Square Garden show from September 1987. The show that's featured in Rattle & Hum where the gospel choir joins them for I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For. Well, much to my surprise the double disc DOES include this show. The sound is amazing & makes me have hope for similar future releases. I spent about $16 for it opposed to the $96 for the box set which also includes Anton Corbijn photos etc. & remixes that I'd probably listen to once out of curiousity. The b-sides are on the Best Of 1980-1990 & the "unreleased" tracks were on the last "remaster" from 2007.

Edit: ok. The one gripe I have is that they dropped Bad, Help, The Unforgettable Fire & Spanish Eyes from the concert disc to make it fit on one cd. But they left both performances of I Still Haven't Found on there: one w just the band & the other w the choir.

^That makes sense, given that Streets is such a natural opener, and it's how that tour started back in the day, obviously.

But, if it's not going to be the opener, is there really a difference if it's the 4th or 5th song in the set list?

No. Not at all. That info came from Willie Williams who has done the sound for U2 shows as far as I can remember. It sounded like a lame excuse.

It is believed that Winston Legthigh is referring to my gripe that U2 cut A Sort Of Homecoming. I mentioned that I read that they cut it due to getting to the Joshua Tree album quicker in the set.

It appears that the band will add "A Sort of Homecoming" occasionally to the set. I saw them at Santa Clara and both Rose Bowl shows and they played it in Santa Clara and the first Rose Bowl show. It looks like they added it back to the set this week for the second Chicago show.

• 2 weeks later...

Through a series of fortuitous events, my wife scored a free VIP seat for the show in Boston on Saturday. I'll be in Chicago catching up on Better Call Saul.

What were your thoughts? I thought their Chicago show was great, but never saw them before, so I have no perspective.

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Felt like the encore stuff (basically everything after Joshua Tree) was kinda throwaway though. Loved everything up to that point. Did notice a very peculiar distortion on Bono's vocal throughout the night and have been told that's been going on for most of the tour.