Good news for U2 fans..

I saw the 2nd show of the Joshua Tree tour a year ago & Bono's voice was great. I always have reservations when I go see them & end up being blown away by how good they are live. Especially the 360 show. It was just stunning & probably the best stadium show I've seen (Joshua Tree was extremely close). It probably helps that in Seattle we have a stadium that actually sounds good. It was designed with sound in mind which is kind of a rarity for that sort of venue. I'd luv to see an area show but they aren't playing anywhere close. I have the blu-ray from Paris & its pretty good.   

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since no one else has yet, I figured I’d share my experience seeing U2 at the Sphere in Las Vegas last week. (I’m a little behind as I was traveling after the weekend and busy with catching up on work

Yep, they botched Staring At The Sun on the opening night of the PopMart Tour in 1997 and since then they have only played it acoustically. Stay (Faraway, So Close!) & Stuck In A Moment You Can’t

I enjoy the Monster record - but I was not a huge fan of the live show on the cd deluxe edition -- enjoyed the music on the live set, but I thought Stipe's vocals were off -- to much straining, from w

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.u2gigs.com/show2055.html

I tuned in to Periscope/Mixlr last night to catch the tour opener from Tulsa, OK. I was surprised at how much it rocked, even after looking at the rehearsal setlist which was a nice blueprint but last night still had a few surprises in terms of what goes where. It's the longest show that they've done in terms of songs at 27 songs. There are some cool new visual aspects to the show & the screen has new tricks too. That's a bold looking setlist that is sure to cause some ruffled feathers. I'll be tuning in to see what happens with cities that have multiple nights in terms of song variety.

http://www.u2gigs.com/show2055.html

I tuned in to Periscope/Mixlr last night to catch the tour opener from Tulsa, OK. I was surprised at how much it rocked, even after looking at the rehearsal setlist which was a nice blueprint but last night still had a few surprises in terms of what goes where. It's the longest show that they've done in terms of songs at 27 songs. There are some cool new visual aspects to the show & the screen has new tricks too. That's a bold looking setlist that is sure to cause some ruffled feathers. I'll be tuning in to see what happens with cities that have multiple nights in terms of song variety.

Love that they dropped Joshua tree stuff, added two unexpected auchtung songs and even something from pop!! Keep it up!

So Acrobat has finally been performed at a concert. That's cool.

After listening to the last two episodes of U Talkin U2 To Me? I am surprised to find myself onboard with Songs of Experience. It is good rock n roll uh music.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/u2-detail-intimate-apollo-theater-concert-w520309

U2 is set to play an invite only concert at NYC's Apollo Theater on June 11th which will be broadcast on Channel 30 on SiriusXM. "Invite only" in this case means that SiriusXM subscribers can enter to win tickets.

Lots of U2 bootlegs already showing up for this tour, including an amazing IEM (in-ear monitors) recording of one of the rehearsals done in Laval, Quebec last month.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok so saw U2 last night for the first time on this tour. Band sounded great however this stage baffles me. I was behind the stage but couldn’t see half the show when they were on the e stage. The way it is set up if your not ground level on the sides you miss most the action. The screen blocks I’d say 25% of the arena from watching the full show

i can't complain as i got a good press ticket (about 7 rows up from the floor, about a third back from the main stage on Edge's side), but the 25% seems high to me... if you are on the ends of the 'catwalk axis' i can see how viewing would be tough when the band is on the opposite side, and that said i don't know how wide that catwalk was so maybe it was worse than it looked. 

That sucks! Where are your seats for Newark?

I'll be 13 rows up facing the E stage at teeny tiny Mohegan Sun Arena. The tradeoff unfortunately is not being able to see the screen much like you at MSG, but there is your typical square shaped screen above the E stage that shows what's happening on the giant screen & whatever the camera crew is filming. Was there any screen behind the stage?

Were either of you able to see the screen that's on the actual E stage?

I tuned in last night on Periscope and was shocked to see them do All Because Of You on night 1 instead of night 2.

That sucks! Where are your seats for Newark?

I'll be 13 rows up facing the E stage at teeny tiny Mohegan Sun Arena. The tradeoff unfortunately is not being able to see the screen much like you at MSG, but there is your typical square shaped screen above the E stage that shows what's happening on the giant screen & whatever the camera crew is filming. Was there any screen behind the stage?

Were either of you able to see the screen that's on the actual E stage?

I tuned in last night on Periscope and was shocked to see them do All Because Of You on night 1 instead of night 2.

They had a screen but when they were in the center screen stage there was nothing to look at. Also during the e stage it wasn’t on the whole time! Maybe a glitch? When the were on the e stage I could only see maybe 1/3 of that stage. I was also in the 200 level so when they raised the center screens it didn’t go above where I was sitting so it blocked the view. In Newark I’m on Adam’s side upper lever first row almost adjacent to main stage should be a way better view.

6B546D67-40CD-44C2-AEF3-FEDF68418DE5.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Bono lost his voice about 45 minutes ago during the 2nd show of their European Experience & Innocence Tour in Berlin. He sounded worse than he did during the PopMart Sarajevo show 21 years ago where he also had a raspy blown voice, but carried on with the show because it was simulcast on radio.

Bono told the band to take a break after the 5th song & someone came out to say that the band will try to come back on. Maybe The Edge will do Bono's vocals? No idea. Not looking good for the rest of the tour. Tons of people left during the break.

He did sound amazing last night on the tour opener. Strange how quickly things can change.

Edit: this gig has been officially cancelled by an announcement from some poor guy who had to come out and say so. He did say to hold onto tickets & check U2's social media page for further updates on today's show & the future of the tour which was set to end in mid-November. The next show should it happen would be on Tuesday in Cologne, Germany.

This is truly horrible. I feel so bad for the band & the fans at today's show. I guess touring as much as they have since 2015 would cause some issues eventually.

I recall somewhere Edge said after this they were taking time off after this round of tours.

Yes. I believe that came from a recent Rolling Stone article. I think they'll take off 2019 & 2020 and come back with an Achtung Baby 30th anniversary tour in 2021.

I read somewhere on one of the U2 fan sites that they extended their Live Nation contract this year for another 10 years which would expire in 2028.

The tour is back on and Bono's voice has come back. The postponed Berlin show from exactly a week ago will now take place on Nov 13th & will be the last show of this tour.

The setlist for the European show is a bit different.

They have cut Love Is All We Have Left as the opener and are now opening with The Blackout. They haven't played Gloria or All Because Of You early in the show, but have instead played Red Flag Day at every show so far. They dropped Desire & replaced it with Even Better Than The Real Thing. Staring At The Sun has been dropped in favor of Summer Of Love. And in no big surprise American Soul has been dropped for European audiences. It has been replaced with a reworked version of New Year's Day that starts with the piano intro & then the band kicks in. This is repeated after each chorus. The song was also played in a much lower key on The Joshua Tree anniversary tour last summer. It's now sounding a lot darker & more brooding than anthemic.

The band has rehearsed The Unforgettable Fire & Stay (Faraway, So Close), but have not played them yet. I'm assuming that they'll dust them off in cities with 4 shows.

That's all I got to say right now.

• 1 month later...

30 years ago for Rattle and Hum -- i do remember buying the record when it was released. It must have been right before I got around to buy a cd player.

Don't remember watching this Smile Jamaica Benefit Concert, 16-October-1988 at The Dominion Theatre, London show before --- Richard's guitar tone is god awful during When Love Comes to Town, it' not too bad during Love Rescue Me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKJTobOH9UE&feature=youtu.be