Good news for U2 fans..

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since no one else has yet, I figured I’d share my experience seeing U2 at the Sphere in Las Vegas last week. (I’m a little behind as I was traveling after the weekend and busy with catching up on work

Yep, they botched Staring At The Sun on the opening night of the PopMart Tour in 1997 and since then they have only played it acoustically. Stay (Faraway, So Close!) & Stuck In A Moment You Can’t

I enjoy the Monster record - but I was not a huge fan of the live show on the cd deluxe edition -- enjoyed the music on the live set, but I thought Stipe's vocals were off -- to much straining, from w

Posted Images

On 11/3/2021 at 1:48 PM, Analogman said:

They must be going for a younger audience. 

I think that might be true with the heavy participation in Sing 2. They must know how polarizing they are, so they figure to target young kids watching an animated film. The same concept got Elton John a whole generation of fans without the polarization. America is a much different place now compared to when The Lion King came out, so I wonder if parents will avoid this film knowing that Bono is in it. I can totally see that happening and hurting the film’s box office, but the studio can blame Covid for any sort of failure. And I say America because there will be different recording artists voicing the character across the globe. For instance, Zucchero will be providing his voice for the film in Italian markets. 

The song is schmaltzy, but kinda decent. It’s nice to have something new from them. I just hope their next record doesn’t sound like this. 

• 10 months later...

Almost 2 years ago I read about Bono writing an autobiography. It seemed like something that was always inevitable. The rumor is that it’ll be released in early November. Surrender is the title which is a song off of War. According to Bono, a working title was 40 Tall Tales From A Short Irish Rockstar. 

Yep, 40 chapters each named after a U2 song. Of course, this being related to U2 they had to go off and re-record 40 songs to go along with the book chapters. I’m not a big fan of any bands re-recording songs, but I’m a bit intrigued. Will these be acoustic versions? The rumor is that these are reinventions of songs. 

The news that I am really excited about is the most recent rumor that dropped today which is that Bono will be doing a book tour starting next month into early December. A date leaked which is at the Orpheum Theater in San Francisco on November 12th. The quickly pulled LiveNation ad mentions that tickets will go onsale this Friday the 7th and will feature “an evening of words, music & mischief”.  Hmm. According to a reputable source, he will be joined by musicians (not his U2 bandmates) and there will be a theatrical element as well. I can already imagine the inflated ticket prices for this. Lol! Color me intrigued though…

0EBDBA99-2182-4C4C-A1A5-F11FC9100714.jpeg

I don't want to buy the book - but I will read it once it makes it way to my local library.

The Black Crowes did a thing where they re-did songs. The album is called Croweology.

I would be interested if they did a mostly acoustic re-invention of the songs.

39 minutes ago, Analogman said:

I don't want to buy the book - but I will read it once it makes it way to my local library.

The Black Crowes did a thing where they re-did songs. The album is called Croweology.

I would be interested if they did a mostly acoustic re-invention of the songs.

I hear the mention of acoustic versions and I cringe because I think back to past tours where they gave up on new songs way too early and turned them into acoustic songs. Or they kept other older songs in an acoustic version for way too many tours and didn’t go back to playing something closer to the original. 

5 minutes ago, Analogman said:

Aha - I have never seen the band live. So I have not heard about that.

They're fantastic live. I always go in skeptically as Bono wears on me but I always leave blown away. The last 2 shows I've seen were the 360 & the Joshua Tree a few years ago. I don't know how they do it but they have damn near perfect sound in football staudiums. Musically those guys are locked in. I admire the Edge a lot. Fantastic musician with a world class rhythm section. They always have a great presentation, too. I imagine the thing they're going to do in Vegas will be mind blowing. & very expensive haha.

2 hours ago, Analogman said:

Aha - I have never seen the band live. So I have not heard about that.

Yep, they botched Staring At The Sun on the opening night of the PopMart Tour in 1997 and since then they have only played it acoustically. Stay (Faraway, So Close!) & Stuck In A Moment You Can’t Get Out Of have both been played as acoustic, after their respective tour debuts in 1993 & 2001, respectively. 

2 hours ago, chuckrh said:

They're fantastic live. I always go in skeptically as Bono wears on me but I always leave blown away. The last 2 shows I've seen were the 360 & the Joshua Tree a few years ago. I don't know how they do it but they have damn near perfect sound in football staudiums. Musically those guys are locked in. I admire the Edge a lot. Fantastic musician with a world class rhythm section. They always have a great presentation, too. I imagine the thing they're going to do in Vegas will be mind blowing. & very expensive haha.

I read about the Las Vegas Sphere shows and have no clue what they might do in that space. There are also rumors that they will also do a stadium tour in 2023: Europe in June/July & the U.S. in August/September. Not a fan of all that comes with a stadium show, but can’t worry about that now.

I feel like this is the beginning of the end: Bono’s autobiography, the last 2 albums being autobiographical and a Netflix series due in 2024(ish). I don’t really picture them going on as long as The Rolling Stones, but that all depends on which type of contract Live Nation has with them. I don’t pay attention at all to the U2 SiriusXM channel, but the word from the fans is that Larry Mullen, Jr. has nothing to do with it. I think he has the same approach to the band. He started the band and he can end it. 

• Like 1

They are probably one of the few bands I listened to that were current when I was young (early 1980s) and still listen to today. But yea - I have never seen them. My dream would have been to see them on The Unforgettable Fire or The Joshua Tree tour.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Analogman said:

They are probably one of the few bands I listened to that were current when I was young (early 1980s) and still listen to today. But yea - I have never seen them. My dream would have been to see them on The Unforgettable Fire or The Joshua Tree tour.

I saw an early pre-stadium show of Zoo TV with Pixies opening. That show was unreal. First time I saw them was the War tour in a theater, so I've pretty well covered the venue spectrum. They played a bar here on their first tour when I was 20. Unfortunately, the drinking age is 21 here. Not fair as the band is the same age as me!

On 10/2/2022 at 6:34 AM, Analogman said:

Damn! That would have been amazing to see them in the early 80s. Those were both incredible tours. I wish that there was more footage of The Unforgettable Fire tour. I’m sure you’ve dug into the Rattle & Hum documentary footage that’s floating around on YouTube.

On 10/2/2022 at 8:14 AM, chuckrh said:

I saw an early pre-stadium show of Zoo TV with Pixies opening. That show was unreal. First time I saw them was the War tour in a theater, so I've pretty well covered the venue spectrum. They played a bar here on their first tour when I was 20. Unfortunately, the drinking age is 21 here. Not fair as the band is the same age as me!

Jealous! Super Jealous! I was just a bit too young to catch that, even the summer stadium tour. 😢I’m curious which show it was, since most of that indoor tour was bootlegged extremely well. I think every show was recorded.

On 10/2/2022 at 9:05 AM, Analogman said:

I am pretty sure the first thing I got was the tape of Under a Blood Red Sky. I still have it.  Which has different stuff on it than the newer releases.

I was always upset that they never released a cd of the actual Red Rocks concert. They sort of came close when they released a digital only 4 song set from that show about a year ago. I have the bootleg though and the sound is pretty stellar. 

9C306BB3-42A3-4645-B1D8-8251A64381D2.jpeg

5 minutes ago, u2roolz said:

Damn! That would have been amazing to see them in the early 80s. Those were both incredible tours. I wish that there was more footage of The Unforgettable Fire tour. I’m sure you’ve dug into the Rattle & Hum documentary footage that’s floating around on YouTube.

Jealous! Super Jealous! I was just a bit too young to catch that, even the summer stadium tour. 😢I’m curious which show it was, since most of that indoor tour was bootlegged extremely well. I think every show was recorded.

I was always upset that they never released a cd of the actual Red Rocks concert. They sort of came close when they released a digital only 4 song set from that show about a year ago. I have the bootleg though and the sound is pretty stellar. 

9C306BB3-42A3-4645-B1D8-8251A64381D2.jpeg

The Zoo TV arena show I saw was the Tacoma Dome in Tacoma, WA. I think they did 2 nights & I went to the first one. The War show I saw was in the Paramount Theater in Seattle. That one was pretty stunning, too. The audience kept singing 40 for a real long time after the band left the stage & Bono broke up a fight down front during the show.

8 minutes ago, chuckrh said:

The Zoo TV arena show I saw was the Tacoma Dome in Tacoma, WA. I think they did 2 nights & I went to the first one. The War show I saw was in the Paramount Theater in Seattle. That one was pretty stunning, too. The audience kept singing 40 for a real long time after the band left the stage & Bono broke up a fight down front during the show.

Those were awesome shows to catch. I’ve listened to both of those Tacoma shows. I sought out the second night because they did Slow Dancing which was a song that Bono wrote for Willie Nelson. I believe it was written during the recording of Rattle & Hum. They also tour debuted When Loves Come To Town on the second night. Both Tacoma shows are on YouTube in audio form, if you weren’t aware. 

I haven’t listened to that War show in Seattle, but that story sounds familiar. That one is on YouTube too. 

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Analogman said:

I can't recall what is cut from Under a Blood Re Sky. I also have the VHS and DVD.

I will have to look that up.

I don’t remember either. It’s been years since I’ve dusted off that cd. According to Wikipedia, 2 songs are from Red Rocks: Gloria and Party Girl. 1 is from Boston and the rest are from Germany. Yeah, that video was awesome for early U2.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, u2roolz said:

I don’t remember either. It’s been years since I’ve dusted off that cd. According to Wikipedia, 2 songs are from Red Rocks: Gloria and Party Girl. 1 is from Boston and the rest are from Germany. Yeah, that video was awesome for early U2.

I'm pretty sure I have a boot of the whole Red Rocks show somewhere. I'll have to look. That would be something I would grab.

• 4 weeks later...

Just checked out From the Sky Down  from my library --- never even heard about this DVD  --- anyway, a great segment is during the playback of "Sick Puppy" ("Mysterious Ways") --- the new bridge which turned out to be the chords of "One'. It's great that they had the DAT rolling. 

A great doc thus far.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Analogman said:

My first thought when I read that was of the mostly horrible R.E.M. album Monster.

I like Monster. The tour was fantastic, too. It was a nice change of pace although I must say New Adventures in Hi-Fi was much better. In fact, that's my favortie REM record.

• Like 1