*For People That Know Stuff About Guitars* Why do you think Jeff doesn't play more Martins?

I've seen pictures of him at solo shows with a Martin 0-18 and he talks about recording with that guitar on almost all the Wilco albums except the new one. The 12 string is a Martin D-20 12 used on Heavy Metal Drummer, What Light and One By One. He uses a J-45 primarily on She's A Jar and Via Chicago if I can remember correctly. The rest is either the Santa Cruz 000 or his custom made Montuoro guitar, seen on the recording of Please Be Patient With Me on the Shake It Off dvd. He's also used a Gibson Folk Singer for the recording of "Sky Blue Sky" and has been seen live, Pat's also been using one for the acoustic parts in You Are My Face and a couple other songs.

Candy Floss, dear, you can make your point just as effectively in your topic title without resorting to all capitals, which is generally considered the online equivalent of screaming at people.

No offense, but some of us were napping.....

I've adjusted your volume a bit. ;)

Candy Floss, dear, you can make your point just as effectively in your topic title without resorting to all capitals, which is generally considered the online equivalent of screaming at people.

No offense, but some of us were napping.....

I've adjusted your volume a bit. ;)

Maybe he got a better offer from the capitals

Guest Speed Racer

I know that several of the Martins he records with are pre-war, possibly 6-figure guitars. I don't know about you all, but that ain't shit I'd take on tour.

He does play martins...he plays that D20-12, the 0-18, also seen with a 00-18 pre-war sunburst (in shows and on the sunken treasure dvd), and what seems to be a 00-18 that's natural top (what he rehearses backstage with during I am trying to break your heart..); the martin on the cover of guitar world acoustic is actually nels' martin 00-17 that he's talked about in interviews. He hasn't really been using his gibsons lately!! (and he's only used the J45 and, rarely, a hummingbird, live). AND, the santa cruz's and the new breedlove are really modeled after pre-war martins. So, actually, it seems like he really has a soft spot for martin guitars!!

i personally play both martin and gibson. both companies make outstanding instruments. it may be that jeff or the sound techs get an idea for the acoustics of the building, then get an idea of the tone they want a certain song to have and choose the guitar which will suit the need. often, martins have a huge bottom end when amplified which can be a bad thing depending on the type of room you are playing in. gibsons tend to have a much more even tone. my humble opinion...

Guest Speed Racer
i personally play both martin and gibson. both companies make outstanding instruments. it may be that jeff or the sound techs get an idea for the acoustics of the building, then get an idea of the tone they want a certain song to have and choose the guitar which will suit the need. often, martins have a huge bottom end when amplified which can be a bad thing depending on the type of room you are playing in. gibsons tend to have a much more even tone. my humble opinion...

I agree. I cannot fathom a 'No Poetry' recording without the punch of a Gibson. If there ever was a song that was intended for a Gibson, it was 'No Poetry' (or the acoustic 'Someone Else's Song'). :yes

I just dont see any real personality in Gibsons.

I play a Martin myself,but that statement is just crazy.There is nothing like a vintage Gibson............unless you can afford a pre-war Martin.

I think JT has lot's of vintage Martins; as mentioned above, there's the D-12-20 and the pre-war shade-top 000-18. I've also seen him with an 0-17, a couple 12 fret 0 or 00 18's and the natural top 000-18. Even though the Santa Cruz 000 he plays is long-scale, judging from the acoustic guitars he plays on tour it would seem he prefers short-scale guitars (Gibson J-45, L-00, Martin 0, 00, 000).