6/14/07 - Cincinnati - Aronoff

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from the Cincinnati show. It was fantastic, as expected. I don't have a setlist, and I have to get up early, so here are a few thoughts on the show:

Tweedy looks good! Looks like he's lost quite a bit of weight actually.

The band is absolutely on fire right now.

Tweedy did a little "mini-Nels" during his "I'm the man who loves you" guitar solo. It's hard to explain, but when Nels gets his strumming hand going like a million miles per hour? Tweedy did that during "Im the man...". It was cute. Shall we call him mini-Nels? lol.

In a sheer Spinal Tap moment, they lower this Owl down above Glenn during the show. It's really funny, actually. And they brought it back out during Spiders in the first Encore. I guess you have to see it to understand. Anyone know if there is any signifigance to it?

Tweedy mentioned the fight in Davenport....he said something like 'right in the middle of the show, Altmont broke out.'

That's about all I can think of right now. Having seen Wilco on every tour since Summerteeth, it's somewhat surprising that this show was absolutely the most ROCKING show I have seen them do. Surprising, given that the new album is supposedly "subdued". I will say that the new SBS songs sound AWESOME live.

Someone, please, post that setlist!

Incredible...I realize with it being my first show (should've happened long ago and I won't miss another chance) I might be biased, but I thought it was flawless and I may have a new favorite band in the whole world. They were #2 before tonight but any band that performs this well live deserves my ultimate respect.

Shake it Off and What Light are personal lowlights of the new album but they were both fantastic tonight, particularly the former to open the show.

The trio of songs Handshake Drugs-Side with the Seeds-Impossible Germany was almost too much enjoyment in one short period of time for me.

The main songs I hope I get to hear performed live some day in the future are Theologians, Misunderstood and Either Way.

Mini-Nels sounds good, and why wouldn't Jeff want to be Nels? I know Nels gets talked about as a major reason why they're so mindblowing live right now, but is he always as good as he was tonight? I wouldn't know since I've never seen them before, but I find it hard to believe that he could be this perfect every night. Everything sounded exactly how it should sound, and I'm glad some of the new songs feature him so prominently (Side with the Seeds and Impossible Germany I LOVE). I was also ecstatic to hear Handshake Drugs because I think his work on that makes it 10 times better in person. His hands are so fast it makes me want to cry and never play my guitar again.

+ 1

Another live Wilco virgin here.....what a show. They brought the house down! Actually, NO ONE in the crowd sat down the entire show. Still wailing for more when the lights finally came back on.

F-ing brilliant. Wilco has apparently evolved into the freak love child of Pink Floyd, Devo and The Eagles. Fuck that, they're The Band --- on Steroids!! ;)

Nils and Jeff are like David Gilmour and Neil Young reborn into their prime. Seriously cool and NOT to be missed. Almost "too much" talent on that stage tonight, if that were possible. (3 very fine guitarists, I mean)

The only....and I mean ONLY... bummer was the exclusion of Ashes Of American Flags. One of my faves, along with Reservations. I suppose Kamera would've been nice too.

The "OWL".....I'll have to post my pics. LOL

If you look at it, the apparition resembled a vintage lingerie item, more than a bird.

(I'm not from Cinci, and forgot my upload cable at home. Got a ton of pics with my Rebel XT...)

Nice night, great weather, easy drive up to Cincinnati from my resting place in Louisville, KY. Pretty much set the mood for the evening. We arrived in plenty of time, saddled up to a couple drinks at the bar and waited for the opening band ( Low ) to finish their set before we found our seats.

The theater itself is located in the Aronoff Center for the Arts in Downtown Cincinnati and drenched in a very sterile vibe. No d

Mini-Nels sounds good, and why wouldn't Jeff want to be Nels? I know Nels gets talked about as a major reason why they're so mindblowing live right now, but is he always as good as he was tonight? I wouldn't know since I've never seen them before, but I find it hard to believe that he could be this perfect every night. Everything sounded exactly how it should sound, and I'm glad some of the new songs feature him so prominently (Side with the Seeds and Impossible Germany I LOVE). I was also ecstatic to hear Handshake Drugs because I think his work on that makes it 10 times better in person. His hands are so fast it makes me want to cry and never play my guitar again.

No doubt, Nels has made his presence felt in this band. After the long-awe inspiring guitar outro to Impossible Germany, I saw one dude give Nels metal :rock (was that you?) and I laughed and thought to myself "Wow! I don't know that anyone would have given anyone in Wilco metal like 5 years ago...but there it is, and damned if it ain't appropriate!"

Glenn was freaking awesome last night too, and seemed to really be enjoying himself.

Pot Kettle Black was really awesome.... best version I've ever heard. And Spiders was a lot more fun than I recall from a couple tours ago. Jeff seemed to really enjoy diving in to some serious guitar this time on a couple tunes. And I FINALLY got to hear Via Chicago after not having that in the setlist the last two shows I went to. Fantastic version of that too... And a few people have already commented on how good the new stuff sounds - that was definitely true.

It was great to see the Owl. What on earth is up with that? And the Bling & the Sunglasses were a treat - please let me know where someone will post THAT pic...

The "way back machine" seemed to be on the fritz - nothing back past the two ST tracks kinda surprised me, but a great setlist to go along with the new record.

Good crowd - no fights, only a couple rowdies (I thought that asking Jeff if HE was inebriated at Tall Stacks was pretty low class and uncalled for, imho). Couple of talkers in front of me during the quieter numbers were annoying. Why do people get second row tickets at a rock show to chat??

But the band was great, and seemed to be having a great time as well. All of them. And our little boy Glenn is becoming quite the rock star, now isn't he?

Nice night, great weather, easy drive up to Cincinnati from my resting place in Louisville, KY. Pretty much set the mood for the evening. We arrived in plenty of time, saddled up to a couple drinks at the bar and waited for the opening band ( Low ) to finish their set before we found our seats.

The theater itself is located in the Aronoff Center for the Arts in Downtown Cincinnati and drenched in a very sterile vibe. No d

It was a good show, however, I was less than thrilled with the venue. The aisles (at least in the balcony, but I'm sure the whole theatre as well) had no breaks in between the seating, so, everytime someone felt the need to get out of their seat during the Wilco set (which was every three minutes at least) we were contending with the a-holes that could not stay seated trampling us. It was worse than a Bengals game. They needed a jerk hotline! haha :D .....This was my third Wilco/Tweedy show, it was probably my least fave of the three, although it was really good nonetheless. This was my wife's fourth show. Note to anyone that has not gotten a chance to see it yet: get a chance to see Jeff solo by any means necessary. Nothing beats solo Tweedy in a intimate setting.

Great show! And the SBS songs do absolutely kick ass live. The band seemed at times to forget we were there. It was great to see them enjoying playing together so much. I think Jeff's got them all whacked out on too much Diet Coke. Nels looked like the coked-up love child of David Byrne and David Bowie. It would have been nice to hear Jeff's vocals, but that duty was handled by the drunk guy behind me, who gave me shit for standing during the first song, then proceeded to SHOUT every lyric in a very loud, flat voice, even Via Chicago. I just took a deep breath and remembered we were going to Indy the next night, in 5th row seats. Otherwise, it was a great show, and it was good to see many old VC friends and meet new ones. More pics and stories to come, I'm sure. But for now, it's time for a good, crappy, free hotel breakfast!!!

Edit: This is J4Lackey, posting from my wife's laptop, and I don't remember my own password. Can't wait to see what tonight holds in store!

A few thoughts from last night..

After a VERY difficult afternoon for Poca & myself (car issues), we finally made the pre-show gathering & that was very very nice. I was a bit out of sorts due to the car and all, though. The first song-Shake It Off. Hmmmm....these dudes are trying to tell me something! So, I shook it off & had a very good concert! :dancing

I thought 'Seeds' was awesome live. Very good stuff. Other highlights for me were PK Black (of course...can we all say "Thank you Leo!"), and Poor Places>Spiders. I've seen this combo a few times now & it's still one of my favorite things they do live. This might have been the first show I've seen where no Mermaid stuff was played..but we still got tonight! :thumbup

(ah, thanks to a kind soul who PM'd me the list ... here it is again. Still not sure what happened to the original :hmm )

Shake It Off

You Are My Face

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

Shot In The Arm

Side With The Seeds

Handshake Drugs

Impossible Germany

Sky Blue Sky

Pot Kettle Black

Via Chicago

War On War

Jesus, etc.

Walken

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Hummingbird

---------------

Hate It Here

Poor Places-->

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

----------------------

What Light

Heavy Metal Drummer

Just a terrific show!

I can't wait to see these guys after a couple of months of touring this album (hint, hint). First time in the nosebleed for a Wilco show, though Sarah and I managed to pogo on our 12" ledge. My son said we were exactly in sync. :rock :rock

So great to see our VC buddies, old and new. It is heartening to hear the shout-outs during Via Chicago from our compadres strategically placed among the audience. :ninjatorch

Grateful for all of us. :wub

Does anyone know if a recording was made of this show?

I sure as hell hope so. In addition to the great music I want to hear a couple things Jeff said that I couldn't quite make out (favorite quote that I did hear: "adjust yourself to that reality" when the owl dropped down)

Anyone else think the mix was slightly bass-heavy and vocals-weak? Didn't bother me too much but I do like some of the vocal melodies a lot and if I were someone else who didn't know all the lyrics it would've been a pain.

Also: WaterHill's review was pretty entertaining - notice it reads like a horse race description (GHOSTIE'S REVENGE came out hard, faded at the quarter pole and was never a threat)? Appropriate given his hometown, which is also my hometown.

I sure as hell hope so. In addition to the great music I want to hear a couple things Jeff said that I couldn't quite make out (favorite quote that I did hear: "adjust yourself to that reality" when the owl dropped down)

When he tried on the bling, he said something about posting it on dadrock.com

There were also a couple times where Jeff used some mighty big words and seemed quite pleased with himself from a vocabulary standpoint... one was something about worring that the Owl might take away from the "poignancy" of the next number (War on War) or something like that... and there were a couple of others that were amusing at the time but I have managed to forget... anyone recall those?

And weren't we like 7 songs into the first set before we even got a "howyadoin"?

It was great to meet a bunch of you before the show (thank again for the beautiful beads, Tracy!). Good luck with your car issue, Mtn. Bed and Poca!

As for the show itself: it was solid and they sounded great as usual. No real surprises, though. My favorite part was probably Poor Places -> Spiders...for a second I thought they were doing a new ending to Spiders, and I was like, " :hmm", but then they started rocking again. :thumbup

Also, it sucks that the "wayback machine" only takes us back as far as YHF these days. :rolleyes

There were also a couple times where Jeff used some mighty big words and seemed quite pleased with himself from a vocabulary standpoint... one was something about worring that the Owl might take away from the "poignancy" of the next number (War on War) or something like that... and there were a couple of others that were amusing at the time but I have managed to forget... anyone recall those?

And weren't we like 7 songs into the first set before we even got a "howyadoin"?

The one I remember him looking jokingly smug after was "circumvent" (talking about the Iowa fight), although I'd hope both that and "poignancy" would be familiar to most people. I guess the unfortunate truth is that only fans of a band like Wilco are smart enough to know them, on average. We could test it though. Anyone going to a Nickelback concert soon?