2007 recommendations

is andorra by caribou worth checking out? i liked up in flames a lot when i first got it, but never really listen to it anymore. heard milk of human kindness once at a buddy's place one time and found it kinda boring. which album is it more in the vein of?

It's closer in spirit to Up In Flames, although there is one track that's quite Neu!-like and similar to Milk of Human Kindness. But ignore all that becaise the thing that the album sounds most like is anything poppy and psychedelic rocky from the 60s. Specifically, think Odyssey and Oracle from the Zombies and you won't go far wrong. Seriously.

Rickie Lee Jones' Sermon on Exposition Boulevard is excellent. I've never been a fan of hers and picked this up on a whim a week or two ago and have been overly pleasantly surprised at the tunes on here.

Patti Smith's album of cover tunes, 12, is decent.

I like both the new Son Volt and Dinosaur, Jr. discs a lot.

The new Modest Mouse is o.k.

The Kings of Leon disc, Because of the Times, gets some considerable play from me, as well.

I really love the new Dr. Dog pretty rockin. I thought I enjoyed the new Modest Mouse but upon listening to it again I really hate it. I can't believe Under The Radar gave that a 9/10 and Wilco a 5.

I'm digging a lot of the Blitzen Trapper album pitchfork raved about last week. The title track may be the best jam of the summer.

Also playing from 2007:

Dolorean

Elvis Perkins

The Magnolia Electric Co. box

O'Death

Rock Plaza Central

Shearwater

Tom Brosseau

plus the stuff all the kids are digging these days, like the arcade fire, the white stripes and dr. dog.

Mark Olson - Salvation Blues

Stars of the Lid - And Their Refinement of the Decline

Explosions in the Sky - All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone

Battles - Mirrored

Marnie Stern - In Advance of the Broken Arm

Son Volt - The Search

I second (or third or whatever) the Andrew Bird album. Patti Smith's new one was okay, but some of her choices are suspect, the say the least. (Tears for Fears? Er, all right.)

Rachel Sweet's Fool Around has just gotten a long overdue re-issue. John Doe has a new one out, but I've yet to hear it. I was kind of digging the new Apples in Stereo for a while; needs a few more spins, though.

Angels of Light - We Are Him. its not out yet but it leaked and it is berry good.

seconded. you are the same guy that likes the silver jews a lot, and that makes sense to me.

A couple of people have mentioned it but I want to throw another recommendation for Panda Bear's Person Pitch record. It is certainly the 2007 record that I have played the most and I keep finding new things in those songs. Everyone should check it out.