help me choose what book to read next:)

If you read The Trial, and enjoy The Trial; then see if you can pick up The Castle by Kafka at some point, as it's basically the same theme, but slightly more interesting (well, I thought so). And; if Kafka doesn't get you depressed enough, you should get Hunger by Knut Hamsun, which is about a man - a writer - (never find out his name, actually), who is starving to death slowly because he is too proud to beg for money, but is unable to sell his stories to make money to live. Nice.

Another vote for Hesse. I'd also suggest Magister Ludi (The Glass Bead Game). Great novel.

My favorite Hesse is Steppenwolf. Siddhartha and Journey to the East were both good (I didn't fiinsh The Glass Bead Game), but I really identify with the philosophy in Steppenwolf. There's so many layers to that book, it's just amazing. I've re-read it about 7 times.

Nabokov is probably my favorite writer. If you haven't read Lolita, start with that - then move on to Pale Fire or Ada. You probably want to get through the stack you have, but a couple more can't hurt.

I would second Crying of Lot 49 and also suggest DeLillo's White Noise. DeLillo is a big fan of Pynchon and you can see the influence so you may want to go for 49 first. Both are a bit difficult to get through (49 more so) but fun reads. I read them both for a literature class last semester and enjoyed both quite a bit.

I read V and liked it but gave up on Gravity's Rainbow.

and after that:

Confederacy of Dunces (if you've read it before, read it again).

i would totally have to agree. this book changed my life in my early twenties, much in the same way catcher in the rye did in my teens. you absolutely must read this book. again and again and again. please allow me another quote:

"I find, dear reader, that I have grown accustomed to the hectic pace of office life... I have succeeded in in initiating several work-saving methods. I have taken to arriving at the office one hour later than I am expected. Therefore, I am far more rested and refreshed when I do arrive, and I avoid that bleak first hour of the working day during which my still sluggish senses and body make every chore a penance. I find that in arriving later, the work which I do perform is of a much higher quality. My innovation in connection with the filing system must remain secret for the moment, for it is rather revolutionary..."

Currently reading: The Children of Men by P.D. James. I haven't seen the movie yet, so I thought I'd try the book first. I'm about halfway through, and so far it's very good.

Thanks all for the kind responses. I ended up reading "Of Mice and Men" first since it got some votes and its a quick read. I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't call it one of my favorites.

Up next I think I am going to go with Herman Hesse or Kafka.

I will also check out the books you mentioned and the authors.

Thanks again

Middlesex-Jeffrey Eugenides

my sis is constantly raving about this book. It's next in line for me after Slaughterhouse 5

i was woefully underwhelmed by this book (Middlesex)

One Hundred Years of Solitude, however, is a great book and you should pick it back up and finish it.

If you haven't read Kite Runner or Life of Pi yet, those are must reads

and i continue to plug for one of my favorite books of all time: Winters Tale by Mark Helprin.

I couldn't get through Confederacy of Dunces. That main character was by far the most annoying character ever.

Sir, your characterization is an egregious affront to taste and decency, geometry and theology!

(God, please don't let Will Farrell play Ignatius J. Reilly on the big screen. One Chevy Chase was more than enough.)

(God, please don't let Will Farrell play Ignatius J. Reilly on the big screen. One Chevy Chase was more than enough.)

is that a possibility you've read somewhere??? nooooooooooooo! we need a disgusting pig of an actor...someone we've never seen before. unless they really wanna fatten up bill murray (not counting the razor's edge, please)....he is the only one that comes to mind immediately that could possibly pull it off...and i'm not totally sure of that...but please not Will Farrell.