I'm Always In Love (and ELT)

As for Summerteeth, I think SBS has pretty much made it irrelevant.

This statement makes no sense to me.

Summerteeth is as valid an album as SBS. They're both just a collection of ideas which reflect the band's position in music, and in life. The lineup has almost completely changed since Summerteeth, but that doesn't make it any less of a Wilco album. ST is a beautiful pop record. SBS is a beautiful (dare I say it?...) mellow record. Both are just as important in the development of Jeff's songwriting and the band's arrangements. Listen to A Future Age again, it'll refresh your memory. :thumbup

This statement makes no sense to me.

Summerteeth is as valid an album as SBS. They're both just a collection of ideas which reflect the band's position in music, and in life. The lineup has almost completely changed since Summerteeth, but that doesn't make it any less of a Wilco album. ST is a beautiful pop record. SBS is a beautiful (dare I say it?...) mellow record. Both are just as important in the development of Jeff's songwriting and the band's arrangements. Listen to A Future Age again, it'll refresh your memory. :thumbup

I completely agree.

As great of an album as Summerteeth is, it's still one of the last ones I reach for when I listen to Wilco. It's too bloated, inconsistent, and suffers from the worst leadoff track on any Wilco album. Those are all relative terms to other Wilco albums, of course.

A lot of the individual songs are standouts, though, including I'm Always in Love.

Ok, guess I got a little self-righteous there with that statement.

I've given ST a lot of unjustified flack just as I've been gushing over SBS lately, but I listened to the album recently, and actually enjoyed and appreciated it for the very interesting album that it was. It seemed to so accurately capture the hell that was described in Kot's book. It was also the first album where they played the re-invention card so well, so yes, very essential, artistically. However, I hope the band doesn't return to the album's three flaws; bloated production, lyrics that came from planet trying-too-hard, and despair without equal contrasts of hope (and dumping it onto the last track doesn't really count).

I have to admit though, I prefer the faster, rockier, version of I'm Always In Love, like in IATTBYH.

Me too. The song is incomplete without the "whoo oooh's" toward the end. I definitely need to get me some more live

versions of this song.

Candyfloss is also underrated IMO. I would love to know how they created that guitar sound in the song. Plus

it sounds like an early Elvis Costello song to me.

As great of an album as Summerteeth is, it's still one of the last ones I reach for when I listen to Wilco. It's too bloated, inconsistent, and suffers from the worst leadoff track on any Wilco album. Those are all relative terms to other Wilco albums, of course.

SBS says hello.

SBS making Summerteeth irrelevant is laughable. Haha

I agree that it's poorly tracked, as much as I like the song there's no reason to have two versions of Shot In The Arm on the record, and Candyfloss should have been a (great!) b-side. Remember though that this was before the internets really took off and while the record industry was trying to make CDs a value added proposition by tacking on as many extra tracks as possible. What'd be cool is in the gap between records if they re-recorded Summerteeth with the new arrangements they've been doing and the new lineup. And then go back and do YHF because they've been tearing that shit up live too.

What'd be cool is in the gap between records if they re-recorded Summerteeth with the new arrangements they've been doing and the new lineup. And then go back and do YHF because they've been tearing that shit up live too.

:no Sounds good....but def not cool.....

-Robert.

SBS says hello.

I agree that it's poorly tracked, as much as I like the song there's no reason to have two versions of Shot In The Arm on the record, and Candyfloss should have been a (great!) b-side.

Uh, thanks, but I wasn't the one that said SBS made Summerteeth irrelevant, nor was I even attempting to compare the two. (In fact, comparing any Wilco album to another is kind of a fruitless exercise.) However, if you want to go that route, I would take a lot of songs on SBS over We're Just Friends, Pieholden Suite, and most of the latter half of ST. And I enjoy the understated beauty of Either Way a lot more than the mess that is Can't Stand It.

But I agree with that last sentence up there.

SBS says hello.

Ah, the most predictable response imaginable =)

I'm probably one of the biggest ST overproduction whiners around but the songs themselves kick the ones on SBS to the curb. If you see them played live there's a palpable difference in intensity and energy when they play something like Shot In The Arm compared to, well, anything on SBS. You don't have to take my word for it, dig up that Bonnaroo live stream download that was posted and see for yourself.

Yes, "A Shot in the Arm" has some ass live. I most particularly remember them *effing nailing* it at Lollapalooza. While intensity is great, so is the great shape-shifting subtleties and dynamics of the post-Reprise material. "Impossible Germany" won't have the intensity of "Shot in the Arm", but "Shot in the Arm" also won't be the greatest thing Television never did either. Although, I will admit that so far, judging from the bootlegs, SBS in a live setting doesn't seem to have that raw power that many of the "Ghost is Born" songs had live.

As great of an album as Summerteeth is, it's still one of the last ones I reach for when I listen to Wilco. .

If I organized my cd's right,I'd listen to it over any of them.That is after Being There disc 2.

I got married about a month ago. My wife and I were introduced at our reception to "I'm Always In Love."

I can't even tell you how great it was, and the party was a smashing success. "I'm Always In Love" was in a constant loop in my head for days afterward, and it was a constant reminder of how great that day was and how much fun everyone had.

So that song will forever remind me of my wedding day.

I listened to Summerteeth the other day. I can never rank the Wilco albums (other than AM at the end), but Summerteeth is always great to listen to, especially with headphones on when you can really hear all of the overdubs and other stuff going on.

It was the 2nd Wilco album I ever listened to about 2 years ago. I'd love to see them start playing a few others from the record during live shows, but that's not for me to decide.

I listened to Summerteeth the other day. I can never rank the Wilco albums (other than AM at the end), but Summerteeth is always great to listen to, especially with headphones on when you can really hear all of the overdubs and other stuff going on.

It was the 2nd Wilco album I ever listened to about 2 years ago. I'd love to see them start playing a few others from the record during live shows, but that's not for me to decide.

It seems like a lot of Summerteeth has gone to the solo shows now; Kot's book gave the impression that Jeff regretted having to bury the songs in the studio

Guest ChooChooCharlie
So that song will forever remind me of my wedding day.

AWWWW, says the chick in the room..That's so sweet...

I don't know you, but I wish I could have been a guest :D

So know one has mentioned they played this in Charlotte last night? Perhaps someone in the band keeps up with VC forum??

I heard Jeff play this solo and it sounded perfect, a superb rendition that seemed right in postST era. Last night the band played the hell out of it. Here's hoping they keep it in the set!

Ah, the most predictable response imaginable =)

Yes, "A Shot in the Arm" has some ass live. I most particularly remember them *effing nailing* it at Lollapalooza. While intensity is great, so is the great shape-shifting subtleties and dynamics of the post-Reprise material. "Impossible Germany" won't have the intensity of "Shot in the Arm", but "Shot in the Arm" also won't be the greatest thing Television never did either. Although, I will admit that so far, judging from the bootlegs, SBS in a live setting doesn't seem to have that raw power that many of the "Ghost is Born" songs had live.

I have listened to every 2007 concert that has been made available and am quite impressed. This line-up is awesome. I believe that all the SBS songs I've heard live have been improved (especially Shake It Off).

While I don't have anything to contribute to the dialogue concerning raw power that AGIB tracks have in a live setting, I will say that the one thing that does not show up on the live streams and listening to all the recordings is how much fun the band seems to have playing the new music. Having watched them in Charlotte, they clearly are enjoying playing the new music live. There seems to be more playfulness and joy expressed. The audio recordings cannot capture this element, which to me makes the current line-up and SBS even more impressive, because they've brought an unbelievable amount of joy and satisfaction to the band.

So know one has mentioned they played this in Charlotte last night? Perhaps someone in the band keeps up with VC forum??

I heard Jeff play this solo and it sounded perfect, a superb rendition that seemed right in postST era. Last night the band played the hell out of it. Here's hoping they keep it in the set!

They played it in Stuttgart, Germany, too. By the way, that's one of the best recordings of a live show I have heard in a while.