Merriweather 6-21-07

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, and Pat was totally doing his Pete Townshend impression. After he did a couple of windmills (to raucous applause, of course), Jeff smiled and said "Happy Birthday."

It was a highlight of the show, IMHO.

suh-WEET! I think this current line-up is the best as far as rocking yer socks off! :rock

cheers,

b.s.

Did anyone get a good look at Pat's cake? Jeff apologized to the cute 6 year old in the front row for it being "vulgar".

I didn't see the cake, but the guy who brought it out to him didn't have a shirt on, and kind of looked like Frank Zappa. Maybe that's what he was talking about.

Good show. We sat in the pavilion for a while but I did not think it was loud enough. So we migrated up to the lawn with my friends and I liked the sound there much better. Then eventually we sneaked down to the GA area and the sound and energy was amazing. I thought the second half of the show was pretty amazing. Great crowd, met a lot of really cool people.

I'm gonna download this show when I get home from work (where I am right now) and then I will upload it to sendspace for the people are who are torrent illiterate :D. Sounds like a fantastic show.

I'm gonna download this show when I get home from work (where I am right now) and then I will upload it to sendspace for the people are who are torrent illiterate :D

Yep, that's me.. :blush

Thank you so much!! :rock

I'm gonna download this show when I get home from work (where I am right now) and then I will upload it to sendspace for the people are who are torrent illiterate :D. Sounds like a fantastic show.

thanks so much. my internet at home is all wacky with my recent move, so am thrilled you'll host a senspace for us digitally challenged!

I'm wondering what everyone else thought of the sound engineering;

I couldn't hear Nels whatsoever on 'Side with the Seeds', nor Mikael on 'Walken', hell, I couldn't hear John on any of Kidsmoke.

The mix was pretty good for the most part, but the sound coverage was terrible! The volume level was completely insufficent particularly as you moved towards the middle/back of the lawn. Even at the back of the pavillion. The sound was much better last time Wilco played at Merriweather.

Only downside of an amazing show!!!

The mix was pretty good for the most part, but the sound coverage was terrible! The volume level was completely insufficent particularly as you moved towards the middle/back of the lawn. Even at the back of the pavillion. The sound was much better last time Wilco played at Merriweather.

Only downside of an amazing show!!!

Agreed.

Last night, I was on a return flight from LAX to ORD (delayed of course), walking off the plane when my cellio rang. Lo and behold, my good friend Sara :wub gave me a concert call. The sound was actually pretty decent, so I continued to listen while walking through the concourse and picking up my bag until I got about half way home. It was wonderful -- it turned a mindless, tedious event to one where I was singing and tapping my foot.

My mini-list:

Side with the Seeds

You Are My Face

IATTBYH

Kamera

Handshake Drugs

Via Chicago

Shake It Off

War on War

Hurry up back to the MW boys. Missed you totally first time through, need you back soon :yes

I'm speechless....that show may have been the best I've seen out of a dozen or so since 95. :worship

Really? See, that surprises me. Because as great as the band is right now, and we can debate back and forth whether this is the best incarnation or not, I just can't ever put a show at a place like Merriweather on par with a show at a smaller venue like 930 club. I mean, I thought the show was great last night, dont get me wrong, but having that intimacy factor is just huge - at least for me - when it comes to concerts. If I had to pick a "favorite wilco show" - and I've seen them probably 15 times or so - I would hands-down pick shows at places like 930 or Recher Theatre before I would pick shows at Merriweather, regardless of how the band played.

I would hands-down pick shows at places like 930 or Recher Theatre before I would pick shows at Merriweather, regardless of how the band played.

I get where you're coming from - but "regardless of how the band played"? At think when it comes to rating shows, at some point the song selection, the tightness, the mood, the energy has to come into play. Thus, it is easily possible for a great show at an ampitheater to transcend an average show that happens to be in a more intimate setting, IMO.

But I guess everyone has a different way of looking at what makes a great show.

Really? See, that surprises me. Because as great as the band is right now, and we can debate back and forth whether this is the best incarnation or not, I just can't ever put a show at a place like Merriweather on par with a show at a smaller venue like 930 club. I mean, I thought the show was great last night, dont get me wrong, but having that intimacy factor is just huge - at least for me - when it comes to concerts. If I had to pick a "favorite wilco show" - and I've seen them probably 15 times or so - I would hands-down pick shows at places like 930 or Recher Theatre before I would pick shows at Merriweather, regardless of how the band played.

I agree. I have been lucky enough to see Wilco in all kinds of venues and have great seats/location to see them. But sitting half way back in the pavilion with the quiet sound system kind of felt blah to me. Luckily we decided to move because I was actually thinking of leaving early. So you can have a great time at Merriweather, but you better be close.

I agree. I have been lucky enough to see Wilco in all kinds of venues and have great seats/location to see them. But sitting half way back in the pavilion with the quiet sound system kind of felt blah to me. Luckily we decided to move because I was actually thinking of leaving early. So you can have a great time at Merriweather, but you better be close.

I've been lucky enough to see Wilco in all kinds of venues now, too. But, I was sitting in Row V, a little less than halfway up, close to the center aisle and I thought the sound was good. Crisp, clear, and loud.

dcd

I just can't ever put a show at a place like Merriweather on par with a show at a smaller venue like 930 club.

I've gone on record as someone who is a fan of 930 and who really dislikes Merriweather (I'm not fond of sheds/pavillions), but last night's show did transcend the venue for me. I was great, uneven sound mix and all.

I'm 100% certain that I wouldn't have liked it as much without the GA option, though.

I've gone on record as someone who is a fan of 930 and who really dislikes Merriweather (I'm not fond of sheds/pavillions), but last night's show did transcend the venue for me. I was great, uneven sound mix and all.

I'm 100% certain that I wouldn't have liked it as much without the GA option, though.

Yeah, slipping into the GA section made all the difference for me.

Last night was my eighth Wilco show and just beat out the last 9:30 show for the best. I was close, but then again I've been lucky enough to be withing 25 feet of the front row each time I've seen them. Comparing the show two years ago at Merriweather and this one, while both great they were very diifferent. The first show Nels kicked ass, but still was a bit out of place and almost seemed like a guest. Now they are playing like a BAND and seem to be enjoying themselves more than any band I've seen in years, possibly ever.

Having seen a ton of shows at Merriweather, the folks at IMP have done a great job making the venue fan friendly (much like the 9:30 when not oversold). I preferred the previous Wilco show's pit seating over GA, but then again fans don't get much friendlier than Wilco's so it was great. The only time I ever had a problem with sound there was the Ben Folds w/Baltimore Symphony show, but I think it sounded better in the back due to the speaker set up.

So you 'judge' a rock show without taking the actual performance into account? Thats like judging chocolate solely by its texture.

You gotta taste it.

It's more like judging chocolate by the picture on the wrapper or the font they used.

I was there last night too -- 4th time seeing Wilco, and 2nd time seeing them at Merriweather. I was smushed into the middle of the GA section but enjoying every second of it -- thank gawd Wilco has some of the most respectful and friendly fans on earth or my social anxiety issues would have kicked up. I thought the music was extraordinary, and I am glad to hear that others agreed. My favorite stage banter was the request to send macrame to the band by simply addressing the envelope "Wilco, Chicago."

Due to a beer-induced tailgating time warp, my friends and I missed Low. :(

But we made it to our spots just as Wilco was taking the stage, which was nothing short of a miracle.

I donated some cans of beans and tuna and got $10 off the concert poster. I can't wait to get it framed and hang it in the rec room.

Could you post the Low setlist? WE missed the first few songs. Their set was just beautiful, though the droning with Nels went on a bit too long, and they were barely playing loud enough for anyone beyond the pit to hear them. Nobody around me (in the pit) seemed to hate them, but a lot of people weren't really listening that much. Low is a band that you really have to pay attention to to get something out of, so I'm not sure how well it translated in the venue, but being a fan I wish they had played a little longer.

It was my 12th Wilco show and easily top three. Another highlight was Stubbs BBQ, Austin, '05.

Low was amazing, though I felt really bad that the crowd was not into them, and were talking and yelling during their entire set. I did snag a setlist from them, so I was happy with that. Nels came out and played with them even for a little while. This tour has to be awkward for Low. Fans just don't seem to get them, which I don't understand. To each their own I suppose. They seemed to be enamored though by my requests as Alan and co. smiled to each other each time I said something. Maybe they just thought I was odd.