Led Zeppelin reunion??

the original remasters were in 1990 and the rest of the songs came in 93. then they were released again from a different engineer in 94.

jimmy & robert mentioned it in the last few days that they'll be expanded with rarities with some lead vocals by JPJ. of course robert took some pops at JPJ

jimmy seems find unreleased stuff every time he says 'its all out there'. i say, just get back with jason and work on new material

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose we'll have to look that up - I don't see how they put them all out in a box in 1993, and then again in 1994.

Here is what I found:

Led Zeppelin Boxed Set 1990

Led Zeppelin Remasters 1990

Led Zeppelin Boxset 2 1993

The Complete Studio Recordings 1993

Early Days: Best of Led Zeppelin Volume 1 1999

Later Days: Best of Led Zeppelin Volume 2 2000

Early Days and Later Days 2002

Mothership 2007

Definitive Collection 2008

Edited by Analogman

they had different engineers along with jimmy that did the different versions. truth is, you cant tell the difference!. both the box sets are enough, or if you want them in album form, the complete studio recordings are enough. everything else is a re-hash

I never bought anything but the complete studio recordings. Well - that and the BBC disc.

I just hope these new versions sound better. I suppose it may depend on if they are going off the master tapes, or some old digital file. And I have to wonder what sort of shape some of those master tapes are in after all this time.

My benchmark is usually the GD Warner Brothers box or The Byrds re-masters. To me - those are some of the best sounding cds I own.

I never heard them - but I recall reading and/or Jimmy stating there were songs cut or maybe he was jut rather unhappy with the sound.

I figure the price will keep me from buying them. If I do get one - it will be LZ III - which is my favorite LZ album.

I grew up listening to the box sets from 1990 (crop circles) and 1993 (everything that wasn't on the first). It wasn't until much later that I heard the albums in proper sequence. Sometimes when I hear a Zep track, in my mind I'll think of what comes next according to the box set track listing instead of the album sequence. They were just burned in my brain that way. The BBC record is tops.

I picked up the below for about $60 bucks or so a couple of years ago - sounds okay - not the best but I heard much worse. I guess the Barry Diament mastered releases - released in the 80's I think - sound best. I do have a few of the Diament releases - they do sound pretty good.

12 SHM-CD. Japanese Limited Edition Box Set (September '2008)

led-zep-definitve-box-13142-contents.jpg

That must be this:

Definitive Collection Mini LP Replica CD Boxset is a twelve compact disc box set of albums by English rock group Led Zeppelin, distributed by Atlantic Records in conjunction with Rhino Entertainment on 4 November 2008. It contains all nine of the original Led Zeppelin studio albums digitally remastered and compressed, with the inclusion of previously unreleased tracks that had surfaced on the Box Set series, on Disc 12, as well as the two disc remastered edition of the film soundtrack The Song Remains the Same, which also includes bonus tracks. The albums are placed in chronological order all with miniature replica sleeves of the original vinyl releases. Previous to this box set, these replica CDs were only available as individual releases from Japan. A Japanese deluxe box-set was made available initially from 10 September 2008, limited to 5,000 copies on SHM-CD format.

The miniature replica sleeves have made all efforts possible to preserve the original artwork and functionality of the original vinyl releases. As such, the sleeves and CD labels only list what songs were originally released, omitting the bonus tracks from the packaging.

I figure they'll be similar to the most recent Floyd releases. There was some pretty revelatory stuff on there. Particularly the different takes on The Wall material.

Who knows what Page has. He's a big Zeppelin bootleg collector, I think mostly in an effort to get back what was stolen from him during his drug haze. He's probably pieced together a pretty substantial outtakes collection through the years.

• 1 month later...

Information on the new re-releases:

Led Zeppelin will release deluxe reissues of their first three studio albums on June 3. All three of the albums, Led Zepplein, Led Zeppelin II and Led Zeppelin III, have been remastered by guitarist Jimmy Page and feature companion discs with a number of unreleased studio and live recordings.

The reissued Led Zeppelin includes an unreleased recording of the band’s October 10, 1969 show at the Olympia Theatre in Paris, while the new Led Zeppelin II features alternate mixes of five songs from the album, as well as the previously unavailable track “La La.” Led Zeppelin III will include seven outtakes from the album, along with the never-before-heard tracks “Jennings Farm Blues” and “Bathroom Sound” (an instrumental take on “Out On The Tiles”) and a cover of “Keys to the Highway/“Trouble In Mind.”

The new reissues will be available in a few different formats, including CD, LP, digital download and super deluxe box set. More deluxe Led Zeppelin reissues from Page’s archival series are expected in the future.

Tracklists:

Led Zeppelin

1.   “Good Times Bad Times”
2.   “Babe I’m Gonna Leave You”
3.   “You Shook Me”
4.   “Dazed And Confused”
5.   “Your Time Is Gonna Come”
6.   “Black Mountain Side”
7.   “Communication Breakdown”
8.   “I Can’t Quit You Baby”
9.   “How Many More Times”

Led Zeppelin Companion Disc

Live At The Olympia – Paris, France
October 10, 1969

1.      “Good Times Bad Times/Communication Breakdown”
2.    “I Can’t Quit You Baby”
3.    “Heartbreaker”
4.    “Dazed And Confused”
5.    “White Summer/Black Mountain Side”
6.     “You Shook Me”
7.     “Moby Dick”
8.    “How Many More Times”

Led Zeppelin II

1.   “Whole Lotta Love”
2.   “What Is And What Should Never Be”
3.   “The Lemon Song”
4.   “Thank You”
5.   “Heartbreaker”
6.   “Living Loving Maid (She’s Just A Woman)”
7.   “Ramble On”
8.   “Moby Dick”

Led Zeppelin II Companion Disc

1.   “Whole Lotta Love”
2.   “What Is And What Should Never Be”
3.   “Thank You”
4.   “Heartbreaker”
5.  “Living Loving Maid (She’s Just A Woman)”
6.   “Ramble On”
7.  “Moby Dick”
8.  “La La”

Led Zeppelin III

1.   “Immigrant Song”
2.   “Friends”
3.   “Celebration Day”
4.   “Since I’ve Been Loving You”
5.  “Out On The Tiles”
6.  “Gallows Pole”
7.  “Tangerine”
8.  “That’s The Way”
9.  “Bron-Y-Aur Stomp”
10.  “Hats Off To (Roy) Harper”

Led Zeppelin III Companion Disc

1.   “The Immigrant Song”
2.   “Friends”
3.   “Celebration Day”
4.   “Since I’ve Been Loving You”
5.  “Bathroom Sound”
6.   “Gallows Pole”
7.  “That’s The Way”
8.  “Jennings Farm Blues”
9.  “Keys To The Highway/Trouble In Mind”

I think there are a few versions of that 1969 shows around. I have one of them.

I wonder if the mult-track Southampton show from 1973 will end up on one of the later re-releases. It will be interesting to see. It's been out for several years now.