Led Zeppelin reunion??

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing for sure about a Led Zeppelin: there is no need for it. Plant obviously does not need the money, has no interest in doing it, is interested and engaged in making new music with other people, and anyway, if people really want to see him sing some Zep tunes, all they have to do is see him live. Personally, I find the idea of someone else filling in for him an absurd one, although I know the idea got floated at one point for Tyler in Aerosmith, and it's even happened to Jon Anderson with Yes. I, for one, would not pay a dime to see an Anderson-less version of Yes, so I can't imagine too many people are hip to a Plant-less Led Zep.

One thing for sure about a Led Zeppelin: there is no need for it. Plant obviously does not need the money, has no interest in doing it, is interested and engaged in making new music with other people, and anyway, if people really want to see him sing some Zep tunes, all they have to do is see him live. Personally, I find the idea of someone else filling in for him an absurd one, although I know the idea got floated at one point for Tyler in Aerosmith, and it's even happened to Jon Anderson with Yes. I, for one, would not pay a dime to see an Anderson-less version of Yes, so I can't imagine too many people are hip to a Plant-less Led Zep.

I saw Jon Davison with Yes about a year ago and he's fantastic. But no Percy, no Zep.

I saw Jon Davison with Yes about a year ago and he's fantastic. But no Percy, no Zep.

I heard he was great - which makes sense, if he was fronting a Yes tribute band - but I would not want to give the other guys my $$ after they did that to Anderson. I will, however, see Anderson again if I get the chance. He was wonderful here in FL earlier this year.

this might be the final nail in the coffin:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/jimmy-page-fed-up-with-robert-plant/

In a new interview, Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page says he’s tired of singer Robert Plant “playing games” regarding a reunion tour for the surviving members of the legendary group.

When asked by the New York Times if he was eager to hit the road after spending three years locked up in a studio remastering and expanding Led Zeppelin’s nine studio albums for the massive re-release campaign which kicks off next month, Page emphatically answered, “Absolutely, absolutely. I definitely want to play live.”

Which brought up the next logical question — would Plant and bassist John Paul Jones be a part of those plans? And that’s where the guitar hero let out a little steam. Page began by bringing up a February 2013 interview where the singer indicated he might be willing to take a break from his successful solo career for a 2014 Zeppelin reunion.

That offerarrow-10x10.png would seem to be off the table now, with Plant about to release another solo album, scheduling a summer-long tour with his new band the Sensational Space Shifters — and most damningly, declaring himself not “bored” or willing to be “part of a jukebox.”

This clearly doesn’t sit well with Page. “I was told last year that Robert Plant said he is doing nothing in 2014,” he told the Times, “and what do the other two guys think? Well, he knows what the other guys think. Everyone would love to play more concerts for the band. He’s just playing games, and I’m fed up with it, to be honest with you. I don’t sing, so I can’t do much about it. It just looks so unlikely, doesn’t it?”

But don’t worry, it looks like Page will simply hit the stage with somebody else. “I’ve still got a twinkle in my eye. I can still play… I’m not devoid of ideas. So let’s hope that sometime in the next year, I’m seen to be playing out there. Because that’s the only thing that’s been missing.”

I think Jimmy will have a bunch of young guys with him - or if not - it will be someone old such as Paul Rodgers. Or maybe he will just do a Jeff Beck and mainly play instrumental music. I wonder if he will have Jason playing drums on whatever he is going to do.

I don't think I ever actually listened to that album they made back in the day. I do recall having the first Firm album on cassette.

The last LZ member solo album I recall hearing was Manic Nirvana. I actually saw Robert on that tour and have a signed cd of the album.

I'm sure Plant can be a real tool, but I gotta give him credit for doing what he wants. Growing up in New England in the 70s, I got so sick of hearing Zep on the radio, I never even bothered to buy their albums. Why buy what I was already getting more than enough of for free? Same with Lynyrd Skynyrd.

The Led Zep material is so played out. I still don't much get into listening to it, because of the saturation, and that was 30 years ago. I can only imagine how little appetite Plant has for singing more than a handful of those songs.

The Outrider album was not great, but the band was damn good live.  It was the first time I saw Jason Bonham live and they did In My Time Of Dying, it put me absolutely over the top in excitement.  John Miles on vocals did just fine.  I'd take Miles over Coverdale in a Page band any day.  And while Paul Rodgers and Page seems like a fantastic match on paper, the Firm, both in the studio and live (I saw both of their tours) left ALOT to be desired, very disappointing.  Maybe it'd be better now that we are well past the 80s and its music production values and cheesy keyboards and synthetic tones.

The Outrider album was not great, but the band was damn good live.  It was the first time I saw Jason Bonham live and they did In My Time Of Dying, it put me absolutely over the top in excitement.  John Miles on vocals did just fine.  I'd take Miles over Coverdale in a Page band any day.  And while Paul Rodgers and Page seems like a fantastic match on paper, the Firm, both in the studio and live (I saw both of their tours) left ALOT to be desired, very disappointing.  Maybe it'd be better now that we are well past the 80s and its music production values and cheesy keyboards and synthetic tones.

I completely forgot, until I read this, that I saw Page on the Outrider tour. That was a good band. I do remember seeing The Firm on the tour for Mean Business in '86. And that was not so good. Lots of starts/stops at the beginnings of songs and some sloppy playing. I thought Jimmy looked pretty wasted.

I don't think I ever actually listened to that album they made back in the day. I do recall having the first Firm album on cassette.

The last LZ member solo album I recall hearing was Manic Nirvana. I actually saw Robert on that tour and have a signed cd of the album.

I bought that Firm cassette, as well. Listened once ... maybe twice. The Manic Nirvana was the last RP solo I bought (which I enjoyed to a certain extent). I saw him on that tour, as well. Not a terrible show, as I recall. Then again, this was probably during my peak LZ obsession phase and I was probably very forgiving. 

I think Jimmy will have a bunch of young guys with him - or if not - it will be someone old such as Paul Rodgers. Or maybe he will just do a Jeff Beck and mainly play instrumental music. I wonder if he will have Jason playing drums on whatever he is going to do.

Well, I know Jason would probably drop everything to play with Jimmy, but as you know he's hooked up with Glenn Hughes and some cat named Andrew Watt in a new band, California Breed. I actually heard them tonight on Alice's radio show and I was pretty damn impressed. Glenn is a force of nature! How a guy his age (and what he's been through wink wink) can belt it out like he still does is pretty miraculous.

I've seen all the surviving members in some form - Jimmy with Rodgers in The Firm in '85, Robert around the same time, and JPJ opened from King Crimson here in '01. I missed them here in '77 because of the repercussions from  parents finding out about some "youthful indiscretions" I might have possibly indulged in.  ;)  But I'm not sure if I agree totally with Frog, even though he's probably spot on with the 'final nail' comment. It ain't over 'til it's over, and the more bitching that goes on can often be an indicator that we could be in for a big surprise at some point.

Heard an interesting story about LZ opening for the band Spirit on their first U.S. tour. Spirit had a tune off an album that they played live often called "Taurus". That Spirit tune sounds waaaaay like the chords in "Stairway To Heaven" that coincidentally came out an year or two later. One of R&R's biggest hit single. 

Heard an interesting story about LZ opening for the band Spirit on their first U.S. tour. Spirit had a tune off an album that they played live often called "Taurus". That Spirit tune sounds waaaaay like the chords in "Stairway To Heaven" that coincidentally came out an year or two later. One of R&R's biggest hit single. 

Apparently legal proceedings are being pursued on this.

"The Immigrant Song" popped up on my iTunes this morning and I had to crank it… LOUD!