Led Zeppelin reunion??

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what you mean. I have read that these sound good. And you can hear things that you could not hear before.

I see Jimmy is taking a page from the Bruce Springsteen School of Design - no liner notes. There is just a booklet with a bunch of photos stuck in the middle of the cd sleeve. That's a shame.

I think How The West Was Won and the BBC Sessions has some of the worst cd art of all times.

• 2 weeks later...

I am getting around to checking the new releases out. I have not listened to music with headphones on in about 4 years. I thought I would check out the new discs that way for the hell of it. My first thought is the sound is cleaner and fuller than the the sound on the boxset.

Dazed and Confused is now credited as "Page - inspired by Jake Holmes"

You can really hear a difference during Moby Dick. You can hear John breathing in some places.

Oh, and Robert Plant does have great hair. His is gone, so is mine (mostly).

Friday nite I listened to a live version of "Dazed and Confused" from March '75, Vancouver. About 35 minutes long, it encompassed everything that is great and awful about LZ. Lots of bloat and mindless jams but then there was the spectacular burst of riffs, crazy theramin and the vocal interplay with RP.....with a version of Joni Mitchell's "Woodstock" thrown in for good measure. I almost fast forwarded it but glad I didnt.

Friday nite I listened to a live version of "Dazed and Confused" from March '75, Vancouver. About 35 minutes long, it encompassed everything that is great and awful about LZ. Lots of bloat and mindless jams but then there was the spectacular burst of riffs, crazy theramin and the vocal interplay with RP.....with a version of Joni Mitchell's "Woodstock" thrown in for good measure. I almost fast forwarded it but glad I didnt.

there's a version from LA shows that went for 43 mins. I'm glad they dropped the tune after the 75 tour. Page had his solo during the 77 to 80 shows wen it seemed fit

• 2 weeks later...

ok, our Rolf Harris, child molester, jailbird now, did Stairway a few times. here's a montage of an old clip of him doing it, mixed in with page/plant jones at the kennedy centre awards last year. a nice mix, but he deserves all he gets

ok, our Rolf Harris, child molester, jailbird now, . . . but he deserves all he gets

Joke I saw today:-

Dear Rolf,

Looking forward to finding out if Jake the Peg has two arseholes.

Your future pals in H.M. Prison Wormwood Scrubs

• 4 weeks later...

Led Zeppelin IV and Houses of The Holy re-master information:

Led Zeppelin will continue their wildly popular reissue series with 1971’s Led Zeppelin IV and 1973’s Houses of the Holy. The band will be releasing digital, single CD, single LP, deluxe CD, deluxe LP and super deluxe editions of the albums on October 28 via the Atlantic and Swan Song labels. As with the previous reissues, the albums have been newly remastered by guitarist Jimmy Page, and the deluxe editions are accompanied by a second disc unreleased material related to that album.

Led Zeppelin IV tracklist:

1.    “Black Dog”
2.    “Rock And Roll”
3.    “The Battle of Evermore”
4.    “Stairway To Heaven”
5.    “Misty Mountain Hop”
6.    “Four Sticks”
7.    “Going To California” 
8.    “When The Levee Breaks”

Companion Audio Disc
1.    “Black Dog” – Basic Track With Guitar Overdubs
2.    “Rock And Roll” – Alternate Mix
3.    “The Battle Of Evermore” – Mandolin/Guitar Mix From Headley Grange
4.    “Stairway To Heaven” – Sunset Sound Mix
5.    “Misty Mountain Hop” – Alternate Mix
6.    “Four Sticks” – Alternate Mix
7.    “Going To California” – Mandolin/Guitar Mix
8.    “When The Levee Breaks” – Alternate UK Mix

Houses of the Holy tracklist:

1.    “The Song Remains The Same”
2.    “The Rain Song”
3.    “Over The Hills And Far Away”
4.    “The Crunge”
5.    “Dancing Days”
6.    “D’yer Mak’er”
7.    “No Quarter”
8.    “The Ocean”

Companion Audio Disc

1.    “The Song Remains The Same” – Guitar Overdub Reference Mix
2.    “The Rain Song” – Mix Minus Piano
3.    “Over The Hills And Far Away” – Guitar Mix Backing Track
4.    “The Crunge” – Rough Mix – Keys Up 
5.    “Dancing Days” – Rough Mix With Vocal
6.    “No Quarter” – Rough Mix With JPJ Keyboard Overdubs – No Vocal
7.    “The Ocean” – Working Mix

Of course, there is so much live stuff out there to be had. Maybe that is another reason he is skipping over the live stuff. Or maybe they plan on doing some more live releases in the future. If they can find the multi-track masters. 

I'd like to see more live stuff on the bonus discs. But I guess Jimmy would say they don't have the multi-track masters. 

really?. there's soundboards (multitrack), from the 75 and 77 tour that came out on bootlegs recently

The story goes that alot of the soundboard tapes were stolen out of his library. Not sure if many were multitracks or what, but that didn't stop him from putting the radio show with the Zep I reissue and making it sound really good. I know he's about the biggest Zep bootleg collector and that at least started as a way to track down people profiting from the shows.

For some reason the extras on the ones released already and these two, don't appeal to me --- at least enough for me to purchase. Am I missing out?

As a monster Zep fan, I'd say you're missing out. The live show with Zep I is really good and one of the few artifacts of early Zeppelin. The stuff from II and III is a little more hit or miss, but the alt takes of Immigrant Song and Since I've Been Loving You, the stuff like Gallows Pole that's been stripped back to just the basic tracks, and the previously unreleased songs....Jennings Farm Blues and LaLa are pretty cool.

The story goes that alot of the soundboard tapes were stolen out of his library. Not sure if many were multitracks or what, but that didn't stop him from putting the radio show with the Zep I reissue and making it sound really good. I know he's about the biggest Zep bootleg collector and that at least started as a way to track down people profiting from the shows.

the '73 and '80 tapes were stolen, but not multitracks. the 80 ones sound dry and sterile. dig out the audience recordings of the 80 tour (rotterdam or munich), and you'd love that tour a lot more. these mystery multitracks that have leaked, i have a conspiracy theory that he's throwing bait in the water. there's a pro-shot video of Houston '77 that's out there 'somewhere' with the high roller collectors, but hasnt leaked yet