Led Zeppelin reunion??

One of the greatest singers of all times and one of the greatest guitar players of all times - but lacking in the song department. I am sure you can listen to all of it on Youtube.

You are obviously referring to Coverdale and Page, right?    :rock

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was curious because I found a SBD show of them on a download site I frequently peruse. Thought, "Hmm, might be worth a listen." Looks like they did a fair amount of old blues covers...kinda like Zep!

I remember the first Firm album had a Page tune from the Zep period called Swan Song or something.

IIRC when I saw The Firm they did some Death Wish II soundtrack stuff, nearly all of the first record, and a couple of covers. No Zeppelin.

ED: I remember saying something like, "Well, I paid 15 bucks to see the violin bow".

Supposedly - Paul and Jimmy made a pact to not play any Bad Company or LZ songs. Robert would not play any LZ songs either (in the beginning, anyhow). When I saw him in the fall of 1990 he was playing a few LZ songs. 

So I guess I can say I've seen all the surviving members, but there ain't NOTHING close to The Mighty Zeppelin. 

same here. P&P twice in 2006 (the last 2 shows of the No Quarter tour), and Jonesey with the Vultures in 2010 (actually briefly shook his hand at the side entrance of Festival hall. a few lads from Liverpool played at the same venue in 1964!

I saw The Firm tour for their first album. Suites is correct, they had some good tunes on the first one. I liked the show I saw and I have a tape somewhere of a show from their first tour (not Chicago though).

• 5 months later...

Looks like old Jimmy may actually go though with it:

Jimmy Page confirmed to Guitar World that he will be heading back out on the road next year, and is currently putting together a live band that he says is "totally different" from Led Zeppelin.

"There will be all sorts of material from different eras," the guitarist told the magazine. "Right across the board; that’s the way I’m seeing it. But like I said, there will be surprises. It won’t be entirely what people might be expecting."

Page's last tour was alongside Robert Plant in 1998. He's also planning a solo release for 2016, his first since 1988 album Outrider. "I haven't got another 20-30 years left in me," Page told Billboard late last year, "so I really need to get out there and present myself the way that I like to present myself, and to be seen and be heard."

His last tour was with the Crowes, not Plant. Also, the Plant/Page shows were in the early 90s, not 98' right?the

As far as this being something different...could be good or bad. I have to say when I was skimming the article 'Outrider' caught my eye. For a split second I thought he was re-releasing it or playing it on tour!

Walking Into Clarksdale came out in 1998

The sound of that album is terrible (as is the album cover).

I am guessing Jimmy is going to do what Ritchie is doing for the upcoming Rainbow shows. That is - hire a bunch of unknown young players. And maybe a surprise guest here and there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_and_Plant

Tour '95.  

I had such high hopes for that album.  It had some moments, but really wasn't that well produced.  Jimmy seemed to still be doing all that near eastern stuff etc.  I did like the No Quarter set from '94.  They looked so damn cool.

Did you see the tour, Aman?  I should've.  Just was burned out with Zep at that point in my life.

I am guessing Jimmy is going to do what Ritchie is doing for the upcoming Rainbow shows. That is - hire a bunch of unknown young players. And maybe a surprise guest here and there.

If he gets out there and it's good no one will complain about that!

I saw both of the Page/Plant tours.  I've come to realize that those two tours were the Led Zeppelin reunion, or as close to it as it we'lll ever get for a full blown touring.  Its really a shame they did not invite Jonesy, what a slap in the face to him and a diservice to the music.  Michael Lee was absolutely incredible with his passion, hard-hitting, big sticks big drums style as well as his swing.  I prefer him even to Jason Bonham as far as trying to fill in for Bonzo.

I recall on the first tour how hard the whole arena was rocking out to Hey Hey What Can I Do, it was one of those electric,super intense, super emotional collective crowd responses.  Everyone was feeling it, that is for sure!

The second tour had less of the Celto-Indo-Arabic vibe and more straight up rock.  It opened hard with The Wanton Song.

They really should've just had JPJ in the band and just let it be called Led Zeppelin.  Nothing since except the one-off show at O2 a few years ago even came close to the old power and glory of Zeppelin.

This might not be the right place to post it, but I wondered what people think of The Firm? (Also, I didn't want to start a separate thread about a band I don't really know at all.) Is their material interesting, worth checking out? Or is it that "lost in the 80s" syndrome that happened to so many artists that made it big in the 60s-70s?

Lost in the 80s, I'd say.  Rodgers and Page were both so adamant to not just recreate their 70s sounds, but the result just wasn't that good.  I saw both those tours and while I, as a teenager, was very excited to see Jimmy Page live, it really wasn't anything powerful or special or musically exciting.  Chris Slade was a pretty good drummer on those records and tours, but the 80s production and mediocre songwriting sunk them.

Outrider solo record was a little bit better and the tour was a LOT better because Page played Zeppelin stuff including In My Time Of Dying and he had Jason Bonham on drums, but I will likely never listen to studio or live recordings of any of those.

The Page and Plant Unledded DVD and the live album he did with the Black Crowes and the O2 reunion DVD are to me, the closest Page got post-Zeppelin to coming close to the power of original Zeppelin and I still watch or listen to all of those pretty regularly, in addition to live Zepp audio and video that I have.

I know I can look this up, but I'm pretty sure the Plant/Page tour was over at least by 97, if not sooner.

the first tour ended on Feb 1st '96 in melbourne. i should know - i was there :)

the 2nd one didnt make it to japan and australia because robert had another one of his hissy fits

I didn't follow any of the 90 reunion stuff too close --- only recently did I realize that Porl Thompson was part of their band -- guess Plant was listening to the Cure a lot prior to the tour.

Interesting choice, though I am a Cure fan.

The below Song Remains the Same is pretty decent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBAewzK4EC8