Hammerstein NYC

All in all, a great show. They're really tight, have lots of talent, and I really can't picture seeing a really mediocre Wilco show. That said, I think they're too comfortable with themselves right now. They could really pick up a big following of fans on tour if they mixed it up a little. If you look up a setlist from earlier in the tour, you know what's coming at the show you're going to. California Stars and I'm Always in Love, while fucking remarkable, were unfortunately somewhat predictable at the point they were played on Monday. Why not Hesitating Beauty or Summer teeth? You'd think Tweedy would have a concrete reason for the lack of variation. Maybe he truly dislikes most pre-Yankee songs, I don't know. The songs that were played, though, couldn't ask for more in terms of quality.

I was towards the front of the balcony, where my friend and I could hear each other talk all too well. The venue really needed to turn the sound up. We were some of the only people standing up in the balcony, I'm glad no one told us to sit down, but the crowd, at least in the balcony, really sucked. Someone mentioned the there-to-be-seen hipster hypothesis, and maybe that was it. I don't know why more people weren't pumped. Everyone sitting, little to none grooving. Overall, though, great time.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi. I used to post on this website, but I lost contact. So much so I had to re-register. I was once misunderstood. Now I'm.....I don't know........an asshole. Or a cherry ghost ...cherry asshole. I'm something. Anyway, yesterday was my 8th different venue in New York for Wilco and somewhere in my 30's for shows. I know everybody's happy for me. Regardless, here's one person's review.

Hammerstien is a very good place to see a show in NYC. One of the few good ones. But the seurity is fercocked. It has that Roseland Cattle system where they funnel everyone through barriers and into the same 2 doors. Low sounded like every other band that opened up for Wilcothat wasn't named Califone- Just not for me. They might have been good,but I wasn't paying attention. If you liked them, you're one up on me. Okay, I root every show for a "misunderstood" opener and.....

You are my face

Side with seeds (Oh well. Maybe they'll close with it. Anyway, I knew that Sky Blue Sky would sound great live. Just not this good. When Glenn is on, you get your money's worth and Glenn was fucking on!!!!)

Shot in the arm ( I must be getting old because I'm having flashbacks. They seem to always play this song this early in the set list. In other words predictable. And Pat Sassone hasn't done any annoying guitar poses, so I won't complain.)

IATTBYH

Kamera ( Yay! Kamera! Love this song, love always like it loud and live. there was an extra scene in Iam trying where they had 8 boom boxes and played 8 different versions of Kamera on them. The louder this song is the better i say)

Handshake drugs (O.K. Now I know I'm old, because I'm comparing this HandShake Drugs to the one that Opened the Irving PLaza show. I think I like this one more, only because Nels and Jeff really went to town one the dueling guitars.....very very cool. Unfortunately, Pat struck a stupid guitar pose. really really would like to slap him. I know,it's just me. Still......)

Shake it off ( What a great song..........to go get a beer. I know I'm one of those assholes walking through the crowd to get a beer.I wasn't talking on my cell phone but I am over weight and made a lot of people move out of my way. But screw it, I needed a beer and this was the song to do it.

Hummingbird ( I notice that women LOVE this song. I also notice that men don't seem to like it but pretend to so as not to piss off the women they are with. I know the 3 tone def women shrieking like pregnant sewer rats really seemed to like this song. It's too bad.)

Via Chicago ( I really enjoyed the video that accompanied this song during the AGIB tour at Radio City. Some how the macramae Owl just didn't cut it.)

Jesus etc ( Great song. can't bring myself to say anything bad about it. )

Hate it here ( Oooh More Sky Blue Sky. Hopefully it's out of their system by the encore. It's much better live but it kind of has to be doesn't it? Because it's down there in terms of Wilco records....just my opinion.)

Walken

I'm the man who loves you

Poor places

Spiders ( Kind of predictable even though it's extremely well played. This show does feel like a set list instead of a setlist.....if that makes any sense.

Impossible Germany

Sky Blue Sky ( I like Sky Blue Sky much more when it was Far Far away.....apparently us old folks can go spin tonight. No A.M., No Being there. Too bad, next time I see Jay Bennett I'm definetly dropping some change in his cup.)

California Stars ( mikeal Jurgensen (spelling?) might be the least talented member of Wilco ever did you hear his solo during this song.....yeesh. Someone wake up Leroy! I liked Jurgensen more like 4 years ago when he just made sounds on his mac. His Apple-option-8 during Always in love at Irving....TOTALLY KILLER!)

War on war

Heavy Metal Drummer

Always in love

I'm a wheel

Encore was a little underwhelming. Just expected.....I don't know.....something else.....something more. Still a good show. Not their worst ( Summerstage and New Years eve take those honors....) but middle of the pack. I agree with the people that say their shows should be as challenging as their albums.But it was worth the $35 dollars I would have paid had my friend not comped me. Life's simply better with Wilcoin it, even if it was a fairly run of the mill show.

Thanks for letting me babble.

Welcome to NYC, eh?

Exactly, I lived in NYC for eight years and every crowd was the same. It's almost like you're in NY now and we are not impressed! I don't think it's necessarily representative of the band?

PS exception Grateful Dead MSG :dancing

I love you evil horn.

Hey, me too! Thanks again for setting me up. :thumbup

Also, I was there with a friend who had never seen Wilco before, and he had a great time. We had no problems with the crowd, people around us were friendly and into the show, and he wanted to hear California Stars, so it was a good night for us.