Weezer: Album Six

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better than the last one, but nowhere near as good as the first three. Reminds me of Maladroit in that there's some good stuff but some dross. Pretty uneven but that lends it a certain charm. Nice to see them mixing it up a little with the longer songs. As usual, a few of the "bonus" songs on the Deluxe Edition are much better than some of the songs on the album. Makes you question the value of democracy in a band like this.

Weezer covering The Band is one of the strangest things ever. Does anyone know which member is singing? I know that's Rivdawg doing the "crazy chester" part. I'm thinking it's probably Brian since Pat's voice sounds um... bad. But it's been awhile since I gave "Osaka Aquabus" a spin.

Weezer covering The Band is one of the strangest things ever. Does anyone know which member is singing? I know that's Rivdawg doing the "crazy chester" part. I'm thinking it's probably Brian since Pat's voice sounds um... bad. But it's been awhile since I gave "Osaka Aquabus" a spin.

I thought I read somewhere that it's Scott singing.

So I've listened to this album. There are some parts which I think are good. There are some parts which I think are not so good. There are some parts I think would be better if Rivers stopped singing in that stupid voice of his that he's had since The Christmas EP. Also some of the lyrics are pretty bad. Anyone know R.C.'s address? I'll mail him a copy of Blonde on Blonde... for inspiration. Anyways, I think it's pretty cool that they are sharing the vocal duties... that's something they should have been doing for a long time.

Anyways, I think it's pretty cool that they are sharing the vocal duties... that's something they should have been doing for a long time.

Ugh, gotta disagree there. The bassist is a decent singer if he stays in his limited range (sounds great on "King"), but the other two guys are pretty blah. (But then again, I like Cuomo's "new" voice.)

All three of the songs not written by Cuomo stand out like sore thumbs, especially when the bonus tracks are so much better. Cuomo definitely has his weaknesses as a songwriter, but this album reminds me of the last Creedence record where the rhythm section was writing songs when you had freakin' John Fogerty in the band. Or even more so like The Who's "A Quick One", because of all the long songs with the multiple, disjointed sections - as well as the songs written by Daltrey and Moon. Bands like these need to be dictatorships, or you get these uneven, lukewarm albums.

Bands like these need to be dictatorships, or you get these uneven, lukewarm albums.

I disagree, this band is 2/5 when it was a dictatorship. Actually, you know what... The Blue Album had a bunch of shared writing credits and apparently Matt Sharp cowrote a lot of Pinkerton. Now, I don't think the drummer or guitarists songs are that good on this album but The Special Goodness had some alright tunes, I seem to recall and as I said before Osaka Aquabus by The Space Twins is classic.

At the end of the day I think the problem is, Rivers is writing songs to be hits, when with Blue and Pinkerton he wasn't. I wish the label would let them release two records at the same time, a poppy one and a more "out there" one. That is, if Rivers still writes songs for the joy of writing.

So did anyone get the deluxe cd? I'm mulling over which to get. I know the difference, is, what 4 songs?

from what i've read there is a deluxe booklet as well with commentary from the band about the songs. by now someone has probably scanned it up somewhere.

i was watching MTV and i heard one of the Scott Shriner songs - at first i didn't recognize the band cause he looks a little different, but i thought it was alright. King i think?

So did anyone get the deluxe cd? I'm mulling over which to get. I know the difference, is, what 4 songs?

I'd recommend the deluxe edition only because two of the four songs ("Ms. Sweeney" and "Pig") are better than a lot of the songs that made the album. "King" is pretty good, too. The deluxe booklet (complete with about a dozen errors/typos) has been scanned and can be seen at albumsix.com.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1588728/2...04/weezer.jhtml

Cuomo: Promo? We're going to go on a tour. It's called the Hootenanny Tour, and it's coming to your town in June. We're gonna bring ourselves and invite a bunch of Weezer fans down to bring their instruments and, uh, jam with us. I don't know, 100, 200 people, whatever. Everyone come down and bring an instrument

Thanks for the opinions. Amazon was out of stock this morning when I checked so I think I'll bum around this weekend and see if i can find it in the musical abyss of the town where I live.

I've now heard all the bonus songs (at least I think I have) and they left some really great songs off the record. If they had asked me to make a 10-song tracklist, it would have looked something like this:

1. Ms. Sweeney (Deluxe album extra track...Between this song and the chorus from Pork and Beans it's nice to see Rivers still can write songs that sound more like Blue-era Weezer)

2. The Greatest Man That Ever Lived

3. Dreamin'

4. Pork and Beans

5. Heart Songs

6. Pig (Deluxe album extra track...I like the studio version)

7. King (Deluxe album extra track...I would love to hear what it sounds like with Rivers singing, but Scott does a really good job with this one)

8. Thought I Knew

9. It's Easy (iTunes bonus track...a great song by Brian Bell, although I have a hard time thinking of his songs as Weezer songs)

10. The Angel and The One

Just missing the cut would be:

- Spider (Deluxe album extra track)

- Everybody Get Dangerous (I can get behind the second half but dislike the first half of the song)

"I Can Love" is a great demo, doesn't sound finished, and could make a great studio song. I really like their cover of "The Weight" and think Scott's singing on that is great, but I don't think a cover should be part of the official album. I haven't been able to get into "Cold Dark World" but I have warmed up to "Troublemaker," which sounds better on the album than it did on the low quality mp3 I had before the album came out. "Automatic" would be good on a SG album, but it doesn't sound like a Weezer song to me. The two Brian Bell songs don't sound like Weezer songs either, but I really like both of those songs. I like them enough to think they should be on any album.

• 2 weeks later...

Weezer just did a pretty great AOL Sessions. They play a lot of the songs that should have made the "regular" album, including "Miss Sweeney," "King," and "It's Easy." All of it is acoustic. As a bonus they do "Why Bother" but with Brian Bell singing and Rivers on drums.

All the videos are up commercial free at their website:

http://www.weezer.com/media/

• 2 weeks later...

So when the hell are they going on tour? Unfortunately, the new album is already starting to get old for me. It's a pretty good album.. WAY better than their last, but it's still far from Blue or Pinkerton.