Weezer: Album Six

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The World Has Turned..." is better than the last three weezer records put together.

that has always been one of my favorites on the album that rarely gets mentioned.

before Green came out, remember how they posted new demos pretty frequently?

were there some of those songs that should have been on Green?

to me, Green could have made a good EP because half of it seems to repeat the other stuff.

i thought Maladroit was a lot better though.

The best songs on the Green Album are the ones that don't sound like Weezer.

"HAsh Pipe" and "Island In The Sun".

Though "Island in the Sun" eventually became so popular it is now regarded as the "Weezer sound", but they never really did anything too similar to it before or since.

• 2 months later...
Weezer Sets Date For, Names New Album

Weezer

April 01, 2008, 4:50 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Weezer's sixth studio album will be yet another self-titled affair, and will arrive June 17 via Geffen, according to their publicist.

"The album is meaty, crunchy and melodic like a good Weezer album should be," frontman Rivers Cuomo writes on the band's Web site.

Cuomo previously described the new songs, which were co-produced by Rick Rubin, as "dark and deep and beautiful," and "definitely more sophisticated and adventurous. You'll hear very long songs ... and non-traditional structures."

This is Weezer's third self-titled album, following their 1994 debut and their 2001 comeback album.

I do too, although for the latest album my excitement was crushed after the first song.. I'll give them one more chance with this new one, but it's the last time.. (even though I said that with their last album)

The best songs on the Green Album are the ones that don't sound like Weezer.

"HAsh Pipe" and "Island In The Sun".

Though "Island in the Sun" eventually became so popular it is now regarded as the "Weezer sound", but they never really did anything too similar to it before or since.

Interesting, as "Hash Pipe" was pretty much ripped off from The Shods song - "Shot Himself Up" - Kevin Stevenson, lead singer is a close friend, and my wife's cousin.

From the Throwing Music Message Board:

"Before you run out and waste your money on the new Weezer album, I think you should know this.

The new single for their new album, cleverly entitled Weezer, is a rip off of a song by Boston/Lowell band the Shods. The song

Want to provide a link to this song?

I just spent the better part of an hour looking, with no luck. They have a bunch of songs up on their myspace page, but, Shot Himself Up is not one of them.

I'll ransack my car (where the cd is housed, er, I hope. Am I the only person here with a car full of cd's? It's getting to the point where you'd sort of think I was some sort of horder or something, which, I'm not.) and post a link to yousendit or something or other.

Edit: Honestly, my opinion, the songs are similar, but not carbon copies - the riff in question sounds more like the Henry Mancini Spy Hunter theme or whatever it's called - but, I did learn, from a mutual friend of both, that Rivers sort of admitted he may have "borrowed" from the song.

Edit: Honestly, my opinion, the songs are similar, but not carbon copies - the riff in question sounds more like the Henry Mancini Spy Hunter theme or whatever it's called - but, I did learn, from a mutual friend of both, that Rivers sort of admitted he may have "borrowed" from the song.

If he's going to go around "borrowing" songs, he should borrow from better songs, so he doesn't end up with "Hash Pipe" again. Perhaps that explains "Beverly Hills"! And we all know that he stole "We Are All on Drugs" from the "When you're sliding into first" song. :)

Whatever the case, the Shods stuff sounds interesting. I'd also love to hear the song if you can dig out your CD. (I probably have something like 40 CDs in my car right now for reasons I don't even understand.)

• 2 weeks later...
Hey, not bad at all.. It's far from "Beverley Hills" that's for sure.

Yeah, that's what I thought. It sounds more like the Blue album than anything they've done since. Of course, it's only 30 seconds of one song, but I think it's promising.

New song sounds okay. Still don't like Rivers voice... something happened after Pinkerton.

As for The Shods: boo freakin hoo, you can only copyright melody and lyrics. Every artist has had this done to them and every artist has done it to someone else. Look at The Beatles, Paul's bass lines especially.