In Praise of Selling out...in the Chicago Reader

Jeff - That is why they kicked out Jay - he was a Ross Perot man.That's not really a true statement.

Well, I don't know if you're messing with me or not.

And even if Jeff is a registered Republican, I can't see blaming him, his band or their music/commercials on the problems that we live with today. :no And that seems to be where this guy was heading. (That's the way I took it anyway.)

Music is music...it means to you, the individual, whatever you want it to mean. You take from it what you want, what you feel, what you need...

(Not that I have tell any of YOU that.)

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to hear those songs in those cheesy ads.

Is it possible you really mean: "I don't want other people hearing Wilco in those cheesy ads"?

If you don't want to hear it, turn off the tv.

I still believe it is LESS shameful to sell your song to the company of your choice than it is to get regular airplay on commercial stations.

Well, I don't know if you're messing with me or not.

And even if Jeff is a registered Republican, I can't see blaming him, his band or their music/commercials on the problems that we live with today. :no And that seems to be where this guy was heading. (That's the way I took it anyway.)

Music is music...it means to you, the individual, whatever you want it to mean. You take from it what you want, what you feel, what you need...

(Not that I have tell any of YOU that.)

He is also a Free Mason.

Are they playing any shows in Ingolstadt?

I actually had read most of what was posted there. I was sort of disappointed in the fact that alot of was along the lines of stop talking. Alot of it was along the lines that there are facts I can choose to perceive, and there are facts I can choose not to perceive. For that, I sort of think we should be ashamed of ourselves, because this country relies on that type of thing too much.

Thing is, much of what you're calling "fact" is, in fact, merely your interpretation. Frankly, this country relies on that type of thing too much.

He's also a member of the Tri-Lateral Commission

Alright, alright...you all can cut it out now :P

After reading the majority of the posts on VC regarding the Wilco/VW ads, it's apparent that most of the folks on this site are either in complete support of the band's decision or are somewhat indifferent. Of course, this is not all that surprising since it is a fansite. But I found myself wondering what the reaction might be if the situation were reversed. For whatever it's worth, here's the bizarro scenario I dreamed up:

Rumors begin to circulate that Wilco may be licensing songs from Sky Blue Sky for a new VW ad campaign, timed to coincide with the release of the album. Chatrooms and fansites are all abuzz with people weighing in with their opinion on the supposed deal. At this point, Wilco posts a message on their website stating the following: "In light of recent rumors regarding a possible deal between Wilco and VW, we felt the need to clear things up. It is true that VW had approached the band with the intent of licensing songs from Sky Blue Sky for an upcoming ad campaign. However, after much thought and discussion within the band, we decided not to follow through on the offer from VW. In spite of the fact that VW made a very generous offer, and that the proposed ads would have offered Wilco another medium in which the songs could be heard, we decided that it wasn't the right fit for the band. A very large part of the joy of creating and performing music in Wilco comes from the relationship and interaction with our fans, and it is a relationship that has rewarded us time and again throughout the band's history. Wilco has seen its popularity grow exponentially over the years, thanks in no small part to the devotion of its longtime fans. Wilco has always sought to create music with the purpose of making a lasting connection with its listeners, and we feel fortunate that so many fans have made that music a part of their lives. Ultimately, we felt that using our music to promote a product of any kind might risk that emotional connection to our fans by taking the songs out of their original context. We should say that Wilco has nothing against VW or their products...like we said, it just wasn't the right fit. Anyway, we hope this puts all the speculation and rumors to rest. As usual, don't believe everything you read, unless you read it here first!"

Call me crazy, but I'd be willing to bet the price of a brand new Passat that if Wilco had turned down VW's offer there'd be a virtual orgasm of admiration on VC and we'd be knee deep in happy emoticons! Sam Jones would announce plans for a sequel: I Am Trying to Break Your Heart part II: Impossible Germany! Hell, even the Snarky McSnarkersons over at Pitchfork might start to warm to the band again!

I'm honestly not trying to rile anyone with this...just thought it might be interesting to ponder "what if...".

If I get buzzed on wine and tell someone to fuck themself, will someone close this thread?

But Jules, we're ONLY on page 6, don't we have another 40 or so to go ;)

If I get buzzed on wine and tell someone to fuck themself, will someone close this thread?

How much ya bench?

Call me crazy, but I'd be willing to bet the price of a brand new Passat that if Wilco had turned down VW's offer there'd be a virtual orgasm of admiration on VC and we'd be knee deep in happy emoticons! Sam Jones would announce plans for a sequel: I Am Trying to Break Your Heart part II: Impossible Germany! Hell, even the Snarky McSnarkersons over at Pitchfork might start to warm to the band again!

I'm honestly not trying to rile anyone with this...just thought it might be interesting to ponder "what if...".

I think you are very right.

After reading the majority of the posts on VC regarding the Wilco/VW ads, it's apparent that most of the folks on this site are either in complete support of the band's decision or are somewhat indifferent. Of course, this is not all that surprising since it is a fansite. But I found myself wondering what the reaction might be if the situation were reversed. For whatever it's worth, here's the bizarro scenario I dreamed up:

Rumors begin to circulate that Wilco may be licensing songs from Sky Blue Sky for a new VW ad campaign, timed to coincide with the release of the album. Chatrooms and fansites are all abuzz with people weighing in with their opinion on the supposed deal. At this point, Wilco posts a message on their website stating the following: "In light of recent rumors regarding a possible deal between Wilco and VW, we felt the need to clear things up. It is true that VW had approached the band with the intent of licensing songs from Sky Blue Sky for an upcoming ad campaign. However, after much thought and discussion within the band, we decided not to follow through on the offer from VW. In spite of the fact that VW made a very generous offer, and that the proposed ads would have offered Wilco another medium in which the songs could be heard, we decided that it wasn't the right fit for the band. A very large part of the joy of creating and performing music in Wilco comes from the relationship and interaction with our fans, and it is a relationship that has rewarded us time and again throughout the band's history. Wilco has seen its popularity grow exponentially over the years, thanks in no small part to the devotion of its longtime fans. Wilco has always sought to create music with the purpose of making a lasting connection with its listeners, and we feel fortunate that so many fans have made that music a part of their lives. Ultimately, we felt that using our music to promote a product of any kind might risk that emotional connection to our fans by taking the songs out of their original context. We should say that Wilco has nothing against VW or their products...like we said, it just wasn't the right fit. Anyway, we hope this puts all the speculation and rumors to rest. As usual, don't believe everything you read, unless you read it here first!"

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant.

Had this indeed been the case, I would have changed my 11 month old daughters name from Lily Mae to....

WILCO!

Seriously - beautiful post.

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant.

Had this indeed been the case, I would have changed my 11 month old daughters name from Lily Mae to....

WILCO!

Seriously - beautiful post.

He basically said we'd all agree with what the band did regardless of what they did because frankly, it doesn't effect us, isn't our decision and because we are fans.

That actually sounds about right. I'm pretty someone has said that a few times over the course of like 38 threads.

I have an uncanny ability to kill threads when I post.

Here's hoping I still have the touch... :pray

Damn. Maybe I'm not the thread killer I thought (hoped)!

Honestly, this really mystifies me. Are you being forced against your will to read this thread? There's certainly no shortage of other topics on this site, so why is it unacceptable if others might want to continue this discussion?

He basically said we'd all agree with what the band did regardless of what they did because frankly, it doesn't effect us, isn't our decision and because we are fans.

That actually sounds about right. I'm pretty someone has said that a few times over the course of like 38 threads.

With all due respect, I think you are misrepresenting his post

Honestly, this really mystifies me. Are you being forced against your will to read this thread? There's certainly no shortage of other topics on this site, so why is it unacceptable if others might want to continue this discussion?

Are you being forced against your will to read his posts? he's AWATT, for chrissakes. All Wilco All The Time. All this negative energy towards the band is just killing him. If we have the right to trash or defend the commercials, certainly others have the right to tell us to shut up.

Are you being forced against your will to read his posts? he's AWATT, for chrissakes. All Wilco All The Time. All this negative energy towards the band is just killing him. If we have the right to trash or defend the commercials, certainly others have the right to tell us to shut up.

Why not just ignore the thread altogether? I think, if you went to a doctor because you felt a sort of, pain in your eye every time you jammed your finger into it, the Doctor might respond with something along the lines of