Toronto 6/30/2007

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really good, way better than last year (the entire crowd was standing from the start this time around, which really made a difference). Jeff was a lot more talkative than last time, and the band seemed to be REALLY enjoying themselves. Setlist was good but nothing special, but their performance was very energetic, and Nels was just insane. Highlights for me were Impossible Germany, Via Chicago, I'm The Man Who Loves You, and Spiders (really intense this time). Low was really good as well, and Nels joined them for a few tunes. Really nice minimalistic stuff.

Here's what I remember of the setlist (in album order because I don't really remember the order from the show):

Sunken Treasure

Shot In The Arm

Via Chicago

Hoodoo Voodoo

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

Kamera

War On War

Jesus Etc

Ashes Of American Flags

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Hummingbird

Handshake Drugs

Spiders

Late Greats

Either Way

You Are My Face

Impossible Germany

Side With The Seeds

Sky Blue Sky

Hate It Here

Walken

The Nels/Pat, face-to-face, duelling guitars on the Hoodoo Voodoo closer was worth the price of admission alone. This is the greatest rock and roll band on the planet, and they will always put on a great show, but I thought Jeff seemed a bit tired tonight, and, other than Walken, some of the SBS stuff came off a little flat to me. Other highlights for me were: the brilliant Sunken Treasure opener, Handshake Drugs always kicks a Wilco concert into another gear, Hummingbird is a real crowd pleaser, ITMWLY has never sounded tighter to me, it seemed to cook more than it ever did, and of course Ashes reaches the very core of my being. A typically wonderful evening with Wilco.

Here was the setlist for Toronto (in order, of course :pirate)

Sunken Treasure

You Are My Face

Side With The Seeds

A Shot in the Arm

IATTBYH

Either Way

Handshake Drugs

Impossible Germany

Sky Blue Sky

Kamera

Hummingbird

Via Chicago

War on War

Jesus, etc.

-crew intros and thank yous-

Walken

I'm The Man Who Loves You

----------------------------------

Ashes of American Flags>

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

----------------------------------

Hate It Here

The Late Greats

Hoodoo Voodoo (w/Josh [bass and keyboard tech] on cowbell)

Not to respond to my own post, but just a couple of notes I had to mention from the show:

-During the Hummingbird dance, Jeff opened his jacket to reveal a T-shirt that read simply, SELLOUT. That was pretty awesome. :thumbup

-The vibe seemed better than last year and I have to say a large part of it was because of the fact that security eventually relented and allowed people who rushed the stage when Wilco came on to stay. Apparently, the stage rush is a fairly traditional thing at Massey, where I get the sense that people stay seated for a majority of the shows there. In one sense, it kind of sucked for me because I had a pretty good seat on the floor (third row just left of center) and wasn't that aggressive in "rushing" because I didn't think security would let it go but it definitely put some energy into the place which was very much lacking last year. I can't really complain about that tradeoff.

-Curfew was, as with many venues on this tour, strict. I would guess that at least a song or two on the planned setlist wasn't played for time reasons.

-Josh, the bass and keyboard tech, who Jeff said is leaving the Wilco crew to go back to school had a nice farewell show. First, when Jeff mentioned the backdrop for the tour (i.e. the macrame owl), Josh came out wearing it, hung around his neck. And I'm pretty sure we have him to thank for Hoodoo Voodoo, for which he came out and banged a cowbell as he wandered around the stage.

-I have to mention how cool it was to see Nels finally play with Low on Pissing. He had come out a few times to play with them during the tour, but not on Pissing, which he and Carla Bozulich played together each night during her recent opening set for Wilco in Europe. Last night's performance was pretty devastating. Nels also stayed out and played with them on Violent Past, which I believe was also a first for the tour. I missed the first couple of songs of Low's set, so I'm reluctant to list a partial setlist, but the crowd seemed to enjoy them. They got a partial standing ovation, which was nice to see.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but this is what is coming to mind right now...;)

The Nels/Pat, face-to-face, duelling guitars on the Hoodoo Voodoo closer was worth the price of admission alone.

I got a message after the show last night.

"En fuego!" was the description I got.

There is a delightful thread that is running through all of these show reviews; that the band is having a total blast onstage. That joy seems to be infectious.

I can't wait till they hit Kansas City this autumn...:D

the show was awesome.

highlights for me, nels picture of george michaels (arrested development) on his guitar, WOW!

Nels.

hoodoo voodooo.

it was funny, i was standing at the stage right in front of nels, we actually went back to our seats after about 7 songs, cause we were right in front of his monitor, and could hear his guitar waaay louder then everything else, lol.

but it was nice to be so close.

but i also had some rude guy and his wife demand to get in front of me cause he was short, and he had a front row ticket. i gladly moved for him, but did not appreciate his rude, demanding attitude.

but it was an awesome show, would have loved to see some being there stuff, but hoodoo voodoo was awesome.

nice to see either way too!

nels is a beast!

-During the Hummingbird dance, Jeff opened his jacket to reveal a T-shirt that read simply, SELLOUT. That was pretty awesome. :thumbup

haha, awesome! that's almost as good as the, "Got Pills?", shirt he wore at the Otto's show in 2004.

Definitely my favorite Wilco show yet. Opening with Sunken Treasure was SO sweet. Having to cut the show short because of the curfew we missed Always in Love and Cali Stars. I got a setlist and pic from a roadie. The SELLOUT shirt was excellent. Best part of the night was meeting Glen just before the show. What a sweetheart! He seemed in a hurry, but stopped for a picture and a little small talk. I'll post the pic when I'm back home next week. Hope everyone else enjoyed it as much as me!

TBR&R

Love your picutres, newslang. I really love how you got so many of the band members in each shot. I don't see that in a lot of Wilco stage pictures.

Sounds like another excellent show! :dancing

Nobody wants to be a mother****** The crowd was totally into it before they came on stage. I think it was the end of IATTBYH - John looked at Jeff and nodded, as if to say "good crowd tonight". This was a great great great show. The best I have seen I think. I met Kalle. He really exists. I got him to put his hand up in front of his face to prove his identity. And we managed to get prime spots. Jeff came right out over the crowd during Hummingbird and I could have head-butted him in the groin (not that I would). Near the end of the main set, some guy tried to climb up on stage. Luckily some fast thinkers in the crowd pulled him back but the look on Jeff's face was pretty scary. Met most of the band after the show and as always they were very accomodating and charming. Jeff signed and had pictures taken with everybody out there. Nels was so nice to everyone. And he was a monster last night. Just a great show. People keep saying how great this lineup what is scary how much better they keep getting. Just wow. Well worth the drive.

Love your picutres, newslang. I really love how you got so many of the band members in each shot. I don't see that in a lot of Wilco stage pictures.

Sounds like another excellent show! :dancing

well I had to shoot from way off on the side of the audience so I didn't really have much choice than to get everyone onstage in the shot, I couldn't get any closer.

But I'm pretty pleased with what I got.

I met Kalle. He really exists. I got him to put his hand up in front of his face to prove his identity.

This made me lol. :D

great show, but would the jerk who stole my wife's jean jacket (left center floors row O)

please return it to the Massey Hall lost & found department.

Thanks

HEY GUYS I DO EXIST. Wow best Wilco show I have ever seen. Every song sounded amazing just fantastic. Crowd was really really into it (me and bobfrombob dead center!) no cusses sworn at us (motherf*ckers) and an awesome way to end the tour I figure. I got some really amazing shots from real close and then my dads pictures from up top I'll post them tomorrow, they are fantastic some of them. Nice to meet bobfrombob super nice guy. Told Jeff to say hi to the crowd this year (last year he didn't) and then some guy yelled "SKY BLUE SKY IS F*CKIN BRILLIAT" and Jeff goes "Brilliant what?" and I said "EAGLES ALBUM" then him and John gave me a weird look and I felt really embarassed... Anyways it was just a fantastic show and they were in fine fine form.

Anyone get a photo of the "Sellout" T-shirt -- sounds pretty funny.

I got a good one, I'll post later.

Also besides me giving Ron McLean the salute, Gentleman Reg from the Hidden Cameras was there as well.

Kalle, were you sitting in row F on the aisle before you headed to the front of the stage? Blue shirt?

Yeah! I was looking for other VC'ers only bobfrombob came and said hi, who were you?