Official Doctor Who discussion thread

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i concur. And the christmas episode could be a really disaster, in my opinion. I have a feeling its going to sink the show. We'll see if it can even stay afloat after this.

That's pretty cool. She did a fine job as companion, though I preferred Rose probably. I would be very surprised if she doesn't show up in Dr. Who next season though, as well as these Torchwood episodes.

Yeah, I think that's the deal according to the BBC link... she got better as the season went on. Particularly liked the reason WHY she wouldn't go on with him as well... quite sweet.

I think they need to mix things up a bit for season 4 though... perhaps get rid of Russell T Davies' finale's and give someone like Stephen Moffat the chance, who's writing is brilliant.

EDIT: I've edited the thread title so we can meander a bit... :)

I would love it if stevan moffat was writing more episodes or even given control of the general arc of the 4th series. I was lucky enough to meet him at a Dr. Who convention in Los Angeles and he is a really, really cool guy and definitely my favorite writer on the show.

Although he does like to mention he won the Hugo Award alot....

But i think Russell is on the show until 2009 and then he'll step away. Thats my understanding at least.

I watched 2 episodes this season. The first was about the daleks and some pig-faced men, or something in 1920's New York. Then I watched the final episode last weekend. And I've half watched a few other ones that all merge into each other (mainly because the endings and general plot lines are variations on an over-played theme)

In the first of those I watched, the daleks seemed to be entirely different from what they used to be like. I think they flew, for one thing, which is nonsense, plus they mixed a human with a dalek and he ended up looking like an octopus in a pin striped suit. Apart from Davros (spelling?) did the older shows even show what a dalek looked like? Anyway, seeing them spoilt the whole thing for me.

Then in the last episode they had The X?*

In my opinion you ended up watching some of the more cheesy episodes from this season. Russell T. Davies episodes are always a bit nonsense, and the season finale was no exception. The way they brought you-know-who back was quite brilliant, but like you said the dobby-doctor and then glowing was a bit much.

They showed the daleks insides a few times in the old series (Davros doesn't count as he isn't a Dalek). Essentially they are just little blobs in metal armor:

Dalekattack.jpg

The daleks actually have tried a bunch of times to mix themselves with humans to try and evolve, so its not really so far fetched. But like you said, they never ended up with an octopus in a pinstriped suit.

I think if you watch the episodes Human Nature/The Family of Blood, Blink, and even Utopia from this season, youd get a better estimation perhaps of why me and Mr. Saxon are still keen on the show.

I've watched a few from each of the new series, I've just never been able to get into it because they always seem to rush far too quickly through the plot lines from all the ones I've seen. I never think I'm going to get into it, but I can sit down and watch them every now and again and not want to switch it off.

Why can't you call him The X?*

I don't imagine there are enough American hardcore Dr. Who fans on viachicago for it to matter. Especially since if you are really hardcore, you already downloaded them. So don't sweat it. :thumbup

I don't imagine there are enough American hardcore Dr. Who fans on viachicago for it to matter. Especially since if you are really hardcore, you already downloaded them. So don't sweat it. :thumbup

have to disagree with you on that one. I consider myself a pretty diehard Doctor Who (not Dr. Who) fan, but I don't download the episodes, because I don't have alot of HD space, nor do I have a DVD burner. so, I wait for them to air on tv.

have to disagree with you on that one. I consider myself a pretty diehard Doctor Who (not Dr. Who) fan, but I don't download the episodes, because I don't have alot of HD space, nor do I have a DVD burner. so, I wait for them to air on tv.

Yeah, my apologies. I am just unable to wait until Sci-fi airs them, as I am an impatient sort.

did i spoil it for you, then?

nope, I came back into this thread after you had typed this:

right, so i've ruined it for everyone now. i'll delete those bits on my last few posts then.

and I haven't scrolled up to see what you wrote. :thumbup

Phew! That's good then, I was a little worried we'd spoilt the twist.

I think the episodes you caught Richard were the poorest, the one's leading up to the finale were perfect slices of Sci-Fi that didn't need an interest to Doctor Who to enjoy. Especially as he didn't use his fucking sonic screwdriver to get out of it, which really annoys me...

Not sure how I feel about this... Catherine Tate is going to be the new companion for the next season, playing the same character as the one in last years Christmas Special...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/6267680.stm

As long as she's not too OTT... though I do have a bad feeling about it.

I definitely felt relieved when she didn't stay on after the christmas episode. But part of the point of that episode was to make her annoying - i.e. that no one would want to marry her, so I feel like she'll be more subdued. There have been no awful companions yet though, so I trust them.

Tate Joins Doctor Who

British comic actress Catherine Tate will play the Doctor's newest companion in the BBC's upcoming fourth season of Doctor Who, the BBC announced. Tate will reprise the role of Donna, the runaway bride from the 2006 Christmas special.

Tate will join star David Tennant for the complete 13-week run of the new season, which is due to begin filming in Cardiff, Wales, later this month.

Freema Agyeman, who played the Doctor's companion, Martha Jones, in the third season, will return the middle of the coming season. The third season of Doctor Who recently ended in the United Kingdom; it begins running on SCI FI Channel in the United States on July 6 at 8 p.m. ET/PT.

Agyeman, meanwhile, will play Martha Jones in three episodes of spinoff show Torchwood, which producers have said will expand her character.

The fourth season of Doctor Who is due to debut on BBC One in spring 2008. A Christmas special starring Tennant and Australian pop diva Kylie Minogue will air in December in the United Kingdom.

I seldom watch the Sci-Fi channel these days - but I caught this bit of news last night.

• 3 weeks later...