Official Doctor Who discussion thread

Here's some random geeky shizz...

I was reading a Who discussion on Facebook and found this comment interesting:

The Immortality gate is used to take Gallifrey out of the Master's mind. That's what the constant drumming is: During the Time War, they found a way of packing Gallifrey into his head, then used the Fob Watch thing to allow him to escape, taking them to safety.

Is that what's going on, you think?

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched EoT part 2. I was disappointed, really. I tend to feel that after RTD episodes. I love Tennant and what he's done for the show, but somehow I don't feel as if his end was worthy of his acting ability. Though I did love one of his last lines "I don't want to go." He was certainly able to stave off his need to regenerate for what seemed ages until he said goodbye to everyone. Once it started I thought it was more of an immediate thing, but I guess they wanted a farewell tour, as it were. Here's to hoping it gets even better with a new Doctor and new head producer/writer.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed that. Obviously, I miss David, but Mr. Smith did quite well. For an introduction episode, it was great. I like when they throw in a little time travel into the show about time travel. '

The last shot of the episode added a real nice twist to the companion, though I was sort of expecting it when she asked how soon she could get back.

Not bad I thought for an intro episode. I had grown tired of the previous Doctor's hyperactive whining and he had become too one-dimensionally 'whacky' for me. This one seems to have more variation - calmer and serious at times. A few nice little jokes - the 'I thought you were a nurse', 'delete your browser history' for the adults etc. Hopefully Moffat, while having to stick with the remit of targetting 12 year olds, will keep enough depth in to keep the adults happy.

An episode guide:-

http://www.radiotimes.com/blogs/910-doctor-who-steven-moffats-episode-guide/

• 2 months later...

Ok, I don't feel the whole Dr. Who thing. Being a nerd, I thought I would get it. Stargate, Star Wars, Battlestar, Star Trek, love all the goofy sci-fi things and thought this would be right up my alley and so did Netflix because they are constantly suggesting them to me. So, I tried to watch an episode a while back (episode 1 of the new series?) because they have 50 billion of them to watch instantly on Netflix, and sweet baby jesus was it terrible. I just don't get it. Lame mannequins chasing after people? Crazy bad effects? It looks like it was shot in a basement too. What am I missing here?

Ok, I don't feel the whole Dr. Who thing. Being a nerd, I thought I would get it. Stargate, Star Wars, Battlestar, Star Trek, love all the goofy sci-fi things and thought this would be right up my alley and so did Netflix because they are constantly suggesting them to me. So, I tried to watch an episode a while back (episode 1 of the new series?) because they have 50 billion of them to watch instantly on Netflix, and sweet baby jesus was it terrible. I just don't get it. Lame mannequins chasing after people? Crazy bad effects? It looks like it was shot in a basement too. What am I missing here?

Maybe you want to watch some of the older episodes - try the Tom Baker years. It's a great show. Although, if you don't like it, then you don't like it.

So, I tried to watch an episode a while back (episode 1 of the new series?) because they have 50 billion of them to watch instantly on Netflix, and sweet baby jesus was it terrible.

I seem to remember that from a while back (not this series) and it was poor. Each Dr Who series can be patchy depending on the writer of each individual episode, but this series in particular has built to an amazing climax and I have not been so enthusiastic about Dr Who since I was a kid (which explains alot of the appeal in the UK - everyone has just grown up with it). It's funny that apart from the original Star Trek series and single original Star Wars film, all the things on your list haven't got much appeal for me. I think the set up simply gives free rein to imaginative storylines and historical settings rather than it being a techy/nerdy sci-fi series per-se (and it is still supposed to be targeted to young teenagers). The effects have been much better this series ( a long time ago it was a definite plus just how cheesy they were :thumbup ) but it is the episodes that deal with emotions (e.g. 'The Girl In The Fireplace' - not suprisingly written by Steven Moffat the new producer for this series, or 'Vincent and The Doctor') and moral dilemas and the clever/witty dialogue that provide the real payoff for adults. The actor playing the new Doctor displays much greater range than the previous one.

Give this latest series a chance. The two part conclusion was inspirational intelligent family TV. Just so well done and something for everyone.

I seem to remember that from a while back (not this series) and it was poor. Each Dr Who series can be patchy depending on the writer of each individual episode, but this series in particular has built to an amazing climax and I have not been so enthusiastic about Dr Who since I was a kid (which explains alot of the appeal in the UK - everyone has just grown up with it). It's funny that apart from the original Star Trek series and single original Star Wars film, all the things on your list haven't got much appeal for me. I think the set up simply gives free rein to imaginative storylines and historical settings rather than it being a techy/nerdy sci-fi series per-se (and it is still supposed to be targeted to young teenagers). The effects have been much better this series ( a long time ago it was a definite plus just how cheesy they were :thumbup ) but it is the episodes that deal with emotions (e.g. 'The Girl In The Fireplace' - not suprisingly written by Steven Moffat the new producer for this series, or 'Vincent and The Doctor') and moral dilemas and the clever/witty dialogue that provide the real payoff for adults. The actor playing the new Doctor displays much greater range than the previous one.

Give this latest series a chance. The two part conclusion was inspirational intelligent family TV. Just so well done and something for everyone.

I watched a couple fo the new ones, and I still think it's a train-wreck (the first episode and the last episode, actually, were the ones i saw). The new Doctor is a million times better than David Tennant - so that is not the problem, I find the problem is the appalling storylines - or rather the way they are told. It's done at such a pace most of the time that it doesn't have any tension at all, it just makes it seem paper thin. Also, they seem to have to stick in plot developments with a crow-bar, because they're not willing to alter the pace. I'm trying right now to think about what those 2 episodes were about and it's hard to do, because the stories were so badly told. A box was involved in the last one (and i won't say any more in case i spoil it for people), and the first one involved a crack in time and a creature in the corner of your eye (which is a nice idea, only it never went anywhere with it) - but that's about all i can say about them.

Also, every time i watch them the plot really is

The Universe is Going To End.

Solution

1. Humans Spirit/Love And General Coming Together of People To Work as One, is the Answer to Defeating The Enemy. Which is fair enough - once, but 20 times is a bit much. Surely once we can defeat the enemy by being a complete bunch of selfish bastards. Doctor Who says, "Ha Ha, Screw you Cyber Men - you never factored into your plan what a bunch of bastards the human race really is! And now they've screwed you right over. So, jog on back to whatever planet you come from!" etc..

2. The Doctor Sacrifices Himself to Save Everyone

In both cases the Doctor comes up with this idea in the last 2 minutes, executes his plan, and then everything is fine again - almost as if the end of the universe wasn't the end of the universe after all, but simply a question of "who's gonna do the washing up tonight?" Turn's out . . . . Who is! (i just made that joke up as i typed, so don't judge!)

I thought Robin Hood was better and that got axed, and whilst Merlin suffers a little from what Doctor Who does - it's still made well enough so that it doesn't give you a headache to watch it.

• 3 weeks later...

but it is the episodes that deal with emotions (e.g. 'The Girl In The Fireplace' - not suprisingly written by Steven Moffat the new producer for this series, or 'Vincent and The Doctor') and moral dilemas and the clever/witty dialogue that provide the real payoff for adults.

Ditto this.

And for the record, I liked both Eccleston and Tennant more than the new guy. I'm cool with the new guy but I loooooved Tennant.

absolutely loved this season. Matt Smith is an excellent Doctor. Love his old man type of mannerisms. Also you get the sense that the Doctor is an alien, rather then some dude. Tennant always felt to me like he was a hipster that was too cool for the room and a damn know-it-all. Smith is a much more flawed character.

• 5 months later...

anyone here excited for the Christmas special? Looks like the most Christmasy Doctor Who special ever. Might be a reversal of the downer that was years. Not to say that last years was bad, but it was kinda depressing.

io9.com has a great spoiler free review here.

Also it is cool that Brits and Yanks can see it at about the same time.

• 2 months later...

I decided a couple of weeks ago that I am going to try and watch every episode of Doctor Who that is still available by way of dvd, vhs, streaming, etc.

I began with The Runaway Bride and now I am at Partners in Crime. I plan to start at the beginning after getting caught up to the most recent episodes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Prior to Saturday, I had not seen any of the Matt Smith Dr. Who episodes. I was so completely taken with David Tennant's take on the Dr. that I really wasn't sure how Smith would sell it.

After the marathon on BBC America, I gotta say that I am well and fully back on board.

Prior to Saturday, I had not seen any of the Matt Smith Dr. Who episodes. I was so completely taken with David Tennant's take on the Dr. that I really wasn't sure how Smith would sell it.

After the marathon on BBC America, I gotta say that I am well and fully back on board.

I loved David Tennant. However Matt Smith's version is far better. I think it is partly the material Matt get's to work with. You will never see Matt Smith running with the Olympic Torch (see the awful Tennant eps Fear Hear). The strongest of David's performances are those that Moffat has a hand in.