Official Doctor Who discussion thread

I loved David Tennant. However Matt Smith's version is far better. I think it is partly the material Matt get's to work with. You will never see Matt Smith running with the Olympic Torch (see the awful Tennant eps Fear Hear). The strongest of David's performances are those that Moffat has a hand in.

I was afraid Smith's age would be a stumbling block, but happily, it seems to enhance the Dr.'s alieness. Plus, Amy is by far and away the best companion of the new rollout Dr. Who.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't like David Tennant at all, and do like the new bloke a lot - he is very Doctor Whoy, whereas to me Tennant would have been a far better assistant. Having watched the start of the new series, I still don't like the pace of the whole thing - it's just way way too fast, and there is no time to establish tension or character. I just wish they'd drag a storyline across more episodes - maybe even just 1 plot line for the whole series, it would just work better.

Plus, Amy is by far and away the best companion of the new rollout Dr. Who.

yes, she is hot. you're right. i assume that what you meant to say, right? :thumbup

I didn't like David Tennant at all, and do like the new bloke a lot - he is very Doctor Whoy, whereas to me Tennant would have been a far better assistant. Having watched the start of the new series, I still don't like the pace of the whole thing - it's just way way too fast, and there is no time to establish tension or character. I just wish they'd drag a storyline across more episodes - maybe even just 1 plot line for the whole series, it would just work better.

yes, she is hot. you're right. i assume that what you meant to say, right? :thumbup

The Silence (the big bad in eps 1 season 6) was brought up back in season 5 eps 1. I think the producers of Doctor Who do a pretty good balance of a "slow burn" themes and story lines over several episodes and seasons (Bad Wolf, Torchwood, River Song to name a few) while having stand alone episodes that the casual viewer can pick up easily. Remember Doctor Who is a kids show, it ain't Lost.

Beyond hot...and she can act too.

I've never thought of Doctor Who as a kid's show.

Yahoo's description of Doctor Who: Family-oriented program about a time-traveling physician.

I agree with you pretty solidly here A-man. There is often a bit too much sexual tension and heavy tension for your average kid's show. Maybe that's the difference between the Brits and Americans: British kid's show---Dr. Who; American kid's show---Hannah Montana.

I've never thought of Doctor Who as a kid's show.

Yahoo's description of Doctor Who: Family-oriented program about a time-traveling physician.

I worked with a woman from Britain and I told her I watched Doctor Who, she laughed at me and told me I watch a kids show. Of course this this was the first season with Eccelson and Billie Piper, who apparently was like England's Britney Spears.

Just finished "day of the moon" While not a good as the opener, damn fine. I did not see that ending coming. So who is the little girl?

Well...since she regenerated she is obviously a timelord. Is she the Dr. or prehaps ... The Master?

Well...since she regenerated she is obviously a timelord. Is she the Dr. or prehaps ... The Master?

A couple of theories I have heard, I'll divide them into two sections, classic series (with handy links for those who are not up on classic series characters) and new series

Classic

1. Susan - The Doctor's Granddaughter

2. Romana - Time Lady and Traveling companion of the 4th Doctor

3. The Rani - Time Lady and enemy of the Doctor

4. The Master

New Series

1. Amy's kid

2. Amy

3. River and the Doctor's kid

4. The Doctor

5. Jenny - The Doctor's Daughter

6. Rose

7. Meta-Crisis 10th Doctor

8.Meta-Crisis 10th Doctor and Roses Kid

9. Donna (including the DoctorDonna)

Whomever the kid is I am sure that Moffat will do a bang up job of explaining it in a way we never saw it coming.

A couple of theories I have heard, I'll divide them into two sections, classic series (with handy links for those who are not up on classic series characters) and new series

Classic

4. The Master

New Series

1. Amy's kid

2. Amy

4. The Doctor

6. Rose

Whomever the kid is I am sure that Moffat will do a bang up job of explaining it in a way we never saw it coming.

Very interesting. However, as I understand it, in order to regenerate, one must be a timelord. But the bit with the tardis' scan of Amy does pose an interesting item. Presumably, Amy's child would be by Rory.

• 1 month later...

if it is Saturday it is time for Doctor Who! Yippie!

Well...so A-man has so kindly found, linked and, thusly, revived this thread, let's have some reactions to "A Good Man Goes to War". For me, the whole River Song saga has not been the stumbling block that it appears to be to some of the folks who post to internet forums. And it answers some questions, but really opens up some new issues. Ultimately, her identity does make for a bit of an ick factor when considering her identity and her (still fully unexplained) relationship with the Dr.

Another really nice bit was Amy's exposition about the man coming to rescue her. "The Last Centurion"...a nice little bit. Rory has evolved from a really milquetoast boyfriend of the cool companion to a bona fide hero in his own right. This might make the identity of "The Good Man" a little less obvious. As soon as Amy's story turned out to be about Rory, it hit me that the "good man" that River killed may be her father.

I have managed to get my daughter (Magic Kristen)hooked on the Good Doctor. It has been really cool to have somebody share this obsession. Doctor Who has grabbed me in the same fashion that Lost did. I think Moffat really has this whole thing mapped out. I don't have the cultural identification that you guys across the pond do. I first encountered the good Doctor in PBS reruns of the Tom Baker incarnation. But I have bought into the mythology hook, line and sinker.

Classic

4. The Master

New Series

1. Amy's kid

2. Amy

4. The Doctor

6. Rose

Well...the question has apparently been answered. Now the question is whether or not the Doctor that was killed was the 'real' Doctor or whether he was 'the flesh'. I don't think we've actually seen the last of the silence either.

Well...the question has apparently been answered. Now the question is whether or not the Doctor that was killed was the 'real' Doctor or whether he was 'the flesh'. I don't think we've actually seen the last of the silence either.

So the chances seems to indicate that the little girl in the space suit (and who we saw regenerate) in "Day of the Moon," is indeed Amy's daughter, who is River Song. But I have a handful of questions, if this is indeed true.

1) Does River remember being in the spacesuit as a little girl?

a) if yes, then why didn't tell anyone?

if no, then why doesn't she remember it? The effects of the Silence perhaps?

2) River apparently has Time Lord DNA being exposed to the time vortex durning conception. The Doctor has explained he can sense other Time Lords and their are no more. So why did he not sense this when he first met River in "The Forest of the Dead"

3) Was it River (as a kid) in the Space suit that killed the future doctor in 2011?

a) why 2011? The girl in the suit escaped from the Silence in 1969. Did the Silence recapture River, (after regeneration) and transport her to 2011 to kill the doctor.

i) the whole death scene strikes me as odd, it seems as though it was set up. The Doctor knew it was going to happen, and was not surprised who killed him. Also where is the future Doctor's TARDIS?

4) So eye patch lady kidnaps Melody / River in 55th century then goes back to 1960ish to the crazy orphanage in "Day of the Moon" where River is raised by Silence to become a weapon to kill the doctor in 2011? It is a too convoluted story line to be true.

5) River is in prison for "killing a good man, the best she have ever known." Is this the death of the Doctor in 2011?

a) I say not, she obviously remembers the murder, but apparently has no recollection of killing the Doctor in 2011. This crime is on someone else. My money is on Rory, since Moffatt is a fan of making us think people are talking about the Doctor when they are really talking about Rory.

A couple of other things, I hope the Doctor who died in 2011 is not the ganger / flesh Doctor it would be a cop out to me.

And the next episode title, "Let's kill Hitler" What is that all about.

So the chances seems to indicate that the little girl in the space suit (and who we saw regenerate) in "Day of the Moon," is indeed Amy's daughter, who is River Song. But I have a handful of questions, if this is indeed true.

1) Does River remember being in the spacesuit as a little girl?

a) if yes, then why didn't tell anyone?

if no, then why doesn't she remember it? The effects of the Silence perhaps?

2) River apparently has Time Lord DNA being exposed to the time vortex durning conception. The Doctor has explained he can sense other Time Lords and their are no more. So why did he not sense this when he first met River in "The Forest of the Dead"

3) Was it River (as a kid) in the Space suit that killed the future doctor in 2011?

a) why 2011? The girl in the suit escaped from the Silence in 1969. Did the Silence recapture River, (after regeneration) and transport her to 2011 to kill the doctor.

i) the whole death scene strikes me as odd, it seems as though it was set up. The Doctor knew it was going to happen, and was not surprised who killed him. Also where is the future Doctor's TARDIS?

4) So eye patch lady kidnaps Melody / River in 55th century then goes back to 1960ish to the crazy orphanage in "Day of the Moon" where River is raised by Silence to become a weapon to kill the doctor in 2011? It is a too convoluted story line to be true.

5) River is in prison for "killing a good man, the best she have ever known." Is this the death of the Doctor in 2011?

a) I say not, she obviously remembers the murder, but apparently has no recollection of killing the Doctor in 2011. This crime is on someone else. My money is on Rory, since Moffatt is a fan of making us think people are talking about the Doctor when they are really talking about Rory.

A couple of other things, I hope the Doctor who died in 2011 is not the ganger / flesh Doctor it would be a cop out to me.

And the next episode title, "Let's kill Hitler" What is that all about.

I concur on the 'killing a good man'.

I don't think I agree on you ganger Doctor opinion. Why introduce him if not to have him play a larger role down the road? And remember the events proceedihg his death...the outlandish stunts he was pulling to get the attention of Rory and Amy. Also, he seemed to know exactly what was coming. But if River was the little girl in the suit...WHY DOESN'T THE OLDER RIVER REMEMBER KILLING HIM?

I hope Moffat knows where he is going with all this.

In a recent newspaper interview here, the actor who played Rory very breifly referred to his Dr Who role in the past tense when describing his latest theatre work, and then clammed up as if he realised that he had let something out of the bag, so my money is on him not making it much longer.

Yes, feels like a lot of holes in this story, but it was so choc-ful of little gems (the Victorian sword-weilding lesbians and the lactating egg man) that I was content with letting it all wash over me. Not to mention the fact that I could hardly reconcile what I was seeing with the cardboard props and silly rubber mask Dr Who budgets of old. Tremendous stuff.

In a recent newspaper interview here, the actor who played Rory very breifly referred to his Dr Who role in the past tense when describing his latest theatre work, and then clammed up as if he realised that he had let something out of the bag, so my money is on him not making it much longer.

A simliar situation occurred with Karen Gillian (Amy). Also when the announcement was made for the next season it only mentioned Matt Smith was returning (of course the show now might not return until 2013). So it looks like the Ponds are not long for the show. Let's hope the next companion is a young River.

man spoilers is crazy.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this season was really good - plenty of twists and turns. The whole River Song aspect was also great and well worked.

Shame we have to wait so long for the next season, which is only going to be a short one as well.

I guess there's always Torchwood to look forward to...

I thought this season was really good - plenty of twists and turns. The whole River Song aspect was also great and well worked.

Shame we have to wait so long for the next season, which is only going to be a short one as well.

Hey you're back!

Torchwood looks crackers btw.

I am really enjoying this season. I thought Matt Smith did a magnificent job last year and he was even better this year.

I ama little perturbed that the Beeb and Moffat seems unable to produce more than 12-14 episodes a year. Cuse and Lindlehoff managed to keep Lost on the air six years and had 20+ one-hour episodes a year in a continuing story arc that managed to keep reasonalby on track and had an ultimately satisfying denoument.

Also, Lost was filmed in Hawaii, Dr Who is based in Cardiff.

The weather is not so reliable for filming year round :pirate

(and serious note - it is the major, major production for BBC Wales stretching their resources)