Official Doctor Who discussion thread

I wondered that myself. (Although it might have been a matter of the specificity of the 'one day plague' and its effects on time lords).

However, if it is the flesh, that raises the question: just where is the 'real' Doctor? Back on the acid mine site? And it also seems to explain the Doctor's erratic behavior at Demon's Run.

I still have a feeling that the Master will make an appearance soon. The flesh seems like something the Master would be behind. And maybe now as 'the drums' might have subsided, the Master might be less erratic and insane and simply meglomanical.

I think the "Flesh" is a bit of a red herring and plot device, and having the Master controlling it would take the focus off of the Silence who for the past two series have been ramping up as the big bad. It would surprise me if the Master came back.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the "Flesh" is a bit of a red herring and plot device, and having the Master controlling it would take the focus off of the Silence who for the past two series have been ramping up as the big bad. It would surprise me if the Master came back.

If you look at the company name responsible for The Flesh, it *looks* wrong... I've been trying to work out if it's an anagram of something...

I'm still of the opinion that the "real" Doctor isn't in the Tardis. Where he is, well, I guess trying to find his way back...

If you look at the company name responsible for The Flesh, it *looks* wrong... I've been trying to work out if it's an anagram of something...

I'm still of the opinion that the "real" Doctor isn't in the Tardis. Where he is, well, I guess trying to find his way back...

Not convinced that the Doctor we are seeing is the Ganger Doctor. The two times in series 6.5 he has almost died and could not regenerate where explained. 1) The poison River used was engineered to not allow for regeneration, if the Silence wanted him dead they would create something like that. 2) The 1 day plague, also stopped regeneration, plus if it was the Ganger would the plague even affect him?

On the Master, again I just can't see him coming back. All of the episodes have been filmed, and the British Tabloids are pretty keen on Doctor Who spoilers. Ok most of them aren't true, but at least there are some indications of what is going to happen. No mention of John Simm going in or out of the Doctor Who studios, and I highly doubt they would use an unknown actor to play the Master.

The only way I could see the Master coming back is the last scene of the series and we hear the maniacal laugh, which sets up series 7 and the 50th Anniversary. I would say the Master has a better chance of coming back in 2013, maybe we see John Simm regenerate into Benidict Cumberbatch or James Nesbitt. Cause that would be cool.

Just a thought if John Simm could not come back as the Master who would you like?

Well...as badass as the Silence were purported to be, they certainly went out with a whimper

A blurb from the Dr. Who website about next week:

The Doctor pays a farewell visit to his old friend, Craig, but somewhere close, the Cybermen are waiting...

Why is it a 'farewell' visit?

Anyway...it appears that this in now three episodes without moving the story arc of The Silence, The Death of the Doctor and River Song forward.

Time to get back on the horse

Well...as badass as the Silence were purported to be, they certainly went out with a whimper

The Silence are not the Men in Black Alien creatures, it is the Religious Order that is waging a war (an it appears to be a succesfull one) against the Doctor. So they have not gone out yet.

Looks like series 7 isn't going to start until fall 2012. Though it appears there will be a Christmas Special and Easter Special. Then the end of series 7 will be sometime during the 50th anniversary.

Read about over at blastr.com

I know it is a secondary consideration, but a delay of that type will absolutely kill the momentum the show has built from its showings on BBC America.

As a side thought here, I am surprised that one of the American Networks has not attempted to buy the rights from the BBC to produce an Americanized version of the Doctor. I know Fox attempted a version that gave us the TV movie with Paul McGann as a memorable Doctor (and Eric Roberts as the Master . Surprised, but somewhat relieved. The very Britishness of the Doctor adds to its charm for this American.

But still, I would kind of like to see what would happen if the American standard production schedule would be followed. And maybe an American approach. Maybe Josh Whedon could do an acceptable adaptation for the American audience.

Anyway, I am somewhat diasppointed that we are facing a very delayed (by American standards) season start to season 7. (Note I use 'season' as opposed to 'series'. We invented the television Network, so I feel free to make that call.)

I know it is a secondary consideration, but a delay of that type will absolutely kill the momentum the show has built from its showings on BBC America.

As a side thought here, I am surprised that one of the American Networks has not attempted to buy the rights from the BBC to produce an Americanized version of the Doctor. I know Fox attempted a version that gave us the TV movie with Paul McGann as a memorable Doctor (and Eric Roberts as the Master . Surprised, but somewhat relieved. The very Britishness of the Doctor adds to its charm for this American.

But still, I would kind of like to see what would happen if the American standard production schedule would be followed. And maybe an American approach. Maybe Josh Whedon could do an acceptable adaptation for the American audience.

Anyway, I am somewhat diasppointed that we are facing a very delayed (by American standards) season start to season 7. (Note I use 'season' as opposed to 'series'. We invented the television Network, so I feel free to make that call.)

I argee with you, it will slow the momentum. However, I wonder how many new fans the BBCA showings have created. I would imangine that the BBCA views are people like me, who watched DW on PBS growing up and started watching NuWho in a somewhat less then legal manner and now watch it on BBCA. These people will come back no longer how long it takes.

As for an Americanized version, I don't think it would play well here in the States. The Paul McGann movie was an attempt to have something co-produced by BBC and Fox, and was to be a series if the movie went over well, it did not. I think Paul McGann got the shaft on being the Doctor, his audio plays are quite good.

If we did get an American Doctor Who would we get

?

And it surley isn't Inspector Spacetime.

I argee with you, it will slow the momentum. However, I wonder how many new fans the BBCA showings have created. I would imangine that the BBCA views are people like me, who watched DW on PBS growing up and started watching NuWho in a somewhat less then legal manner and now watch it on BBCA. These people will come back no longer how long it takes.

As for an Americanized version, I don't think it would play well here in the States. The Paul McGann movie was an attempt to have something co-produced by BBC and Fox, and was to be a series if the movie went over well, it did not. I think Paul McGann got the shaft on being the Doctor, his audio plays are quite good.

If we did get an American Doctor Who would we get

?

And it surley isn't Inspector Spacetime.

The Problem with the Fox reboot is it was being done by FOX. The development execs over there are really tone deaf. Hell...they cancelled Firefly. I knew it was doomed when I saw Eric Roberts was cast at The Master. Another disturbing element was the overt romantic implications of the companion.

I think in the hands of a Who fan and in capable hands, an American take would work.

...Another disturbing element was the overt romantic implications of the companion....

Nothing like what RTD did though.

But why rehash what was in the far past. I want to know you thoughts on Closing Time.

I thought it was a great episode, I really love the chemsitry that James Cordon and Matt Smith has. I don't think he would make a good full time companion, but as a one off he is great. Plus I really love how they are showing the Doctor as a true alien. From what I understand this episode takes place 200 plus years after he said good by to Amy and Rory in the God Complex. One would assume this is when he had the majority of his adventures with River Song (Jim the Fish, Easter Island, etc.) I guess we will never see that, and I am fine with it. Also we have a definative answer (maybe) on who is in the space suit at the bottom of the lake.

As a note I will feel cheated if it is the Ganger Doctor that gets shot. It is something that RTD would do, Moffat has too much respect for the audience.

Next week all questions will be anwsered, and new ones will be raised.

Nothing like what RTD did though.

But why rehash what was in the far past. I want to know you thoughts on Closing Time.

I thought it was a great episode, I really love the chemsitry that James Cordon and Matt Smith has. I don't think he would make a good full time companion, but as a one off he is great. Plus I really love how they are showing the Doctor as a true alien. From what I understand this episode takes place 200 plus years after he said good by to Amy and Rory in the God Complex. One would assume this is when he had the majority of his adventures with River Song (Jim the Fish, Easter Island, etc.) I guess we will never see that, and I am fine with it. Also we have a definative answer (maybe) on who is in the space suit at the bottom of the lake.

As a note I will feel cheated if it is the Ganger Doctor that gets shot. It is something that RTD would do, Moffat has too much respect for the audience.

Next week all questions will be anwsered, and new ones will be raised.

One thing we know for sure...nothing will be as it seems. Unless the intent is to have Matt Smith be the last Doctor, there's going to have to be a helluva twist to all of this.

I think the Doctor's room in the God Complex is a obscured key.

Also, Moffat has spent the las season and a half emphasizing Rory as a heroic figure would need to have some culmination other than simply being Amy's salvation.

Another thing...Amy's roll has been more significant than any other companion that I can recall. I don't think that Moffat's use of Amy's voice over emphasizing her roll as the girl who waits (and runs) is simply an attempt to jazz up the opening credits.

Another thing...Amy's roll has been more significant than any other companion that I can recall. I don't think that Moffat's use of Amy's voice over emphasizing her roll as the girl who waits (and runs) is simply an attempt to jazz up the opening credits.

Amy has been the key all along. Though I do worry about the future of Rory. I really want to those kids to stay safe, for Amy to become a Model/Perfume Magnate and make many brothers and sisters for River.

On a side note, the BBC has cancelled Doctor Who: Confidential. Not a huge loss, but they were fun to watch.

Amy has been the key all along. Though I do worry about the future of Rory. I really want to those kids to stay safe, for Amy to become a Model/Perfume Magnate and make many brothers and sisters for River.

On a side note, the BBC has cancelled Doctor Who: Confidential. Not a huge loss, but they were fun to watch.

Moffat has really emaphasized Rory's inherent heroic nature (the lone centaurion, the whole A Good Man Goes to War stuff)...Also, Rory has been very vocal in his less than rosy take on the Doctor.

Unlike the writers of Lost, Moffat hasn't seemed to roll out a plot point just to serve the random plot progression.(even the pirates showed up at Demon's Run)

I think the last episode will certainly be jammed pack with *stuff*... there's a lot of unanswered questions. Really enjoyed the last two episodes (been away on holiday and watched them back to back last night). Think the Cyberman were a little rubbish, seemed tact-on... I think a lot of the "wins" this season have had little to do with the Doctor as such, but making people (his companions or, erm, partners) believe in themselves. As if he's ready to leave the people he usually saves save themselves...

Moffat has really emaphasized Rory's inherent heroic nature (the lone centaurion, the whole A Good Man Goes to War stuff)...Also, Rory has been very vocal in his less than rosy take on the Doctor.

Unlike the writers of Lost, Moffat hasn't seemed to roll out a plot point just to serve the random plot progression.(even the pirates showed up at Demon's Run)

I think Rory will end up saving the day in this last episode, but I doubt he will die. I think it will be too much of a cop out and something that many fans could see form a mile away. It seems like something RTD might do, but I have more faith in Moffat to come up with something good.

We know this, the Doctor makes it as there is a series 7 commissioned, my only hope is that it is not another universe reset ala The Big Bang or Last of the Time Lords.

Well...that certainly was interesting.

Now we know how he defeated a fixed point in time

still digesting thoughts about this episode. I first when the Doctor bypassed his death by being the Tesslector, I thought I was going to feel the same way if it was the Ganger Doctor who got killed. But I don't, and this is the reason if it was the Ganger who died it would have meant that Doctor we had been watching did not go through the adventures we saw. It was a different person entirely, but that is my early morning thoughts.

All in all good, and set's up some big ideas for the 50th

still digesting thoughts about this episode. I first when the Doctor bypassed his death by being the Tesslector, I thought I was going to feel the same way if it was the Ganger Doctor who got killed. But I don't, and this is the reason if it was the Ganger who died it would have meant that Doctor we had been watching did not go through the adventures we saw. It was a different person entirely, but that is my early morning thoughts.

All in all good, and set's up some big ideas for the 50th

I'm wondering if the Doctor and River are actually married. Does the fact the Doctor is in the Tesselector negate the ceremony.

The bit with River and Amy at the end having a Mother/Daughter talk was priceless.

And the bit with Dorian at the end...Is it just a big pun? Doctor Who? And the Doctor receeding into the shadows...won't the Silence eventually figure out he isn't dead?

And since the Doctor said "look in my eye", what was it River told the tenth Doctor to make him trust her?

Did he tell her his name later?

And the bit with Dorian at the end...Is it just a big pun? Doctor Who? And the Doctor receeding into the shadows...won't the Silence eventually figure out he isn't dead?

And since the Doctor said "look in my eye", what was it River told the tenth Doctor to make him trust her?

Did he tell her his name later?

I am pretty sure the question is "Doctor who?" I think the pun is intended, but also it plays into a much larger story that Doctor Who has been trying to tell. This would be the Cartmel Masterplan.

So...River Song is in prison for killing "The Best Man I Ever Knew". Except she didn't kill him.

And who exactly tried and convicted her of this murder (which didn't actually occur)?

Andhow did the Tesselector start to regenerate? And if the Doctor was inside the Tesselector, how did he escape burning? This seemed a tad bit slap dash.

And if the Doctor not dying caused all of time to collapse, well...he still didn't die (Even if you follow the caveat of River needing to kill the Doctor and the fact that she chose not to do so caused the time collpse...she killed a tesselector, not the Doctor. If it is the necessity of appearances, well that reeks of bullshit).

However, Matt Smith is an absolute jewel as the Doctor.

Yes... this seemed to, actually, be a way of setting things up for the next season rather than finishing this one. The Tesselector was a bit of a cop-out, i'd prefer the Flesh version really. And agree, as he didn't die anyway, how did Time sort itself out?

Hmmmm. I do get the feeling this wasn't much of ending, more a bigger beginning for the 50th...

• 2 months later...

I'm up to The Vampires of Venice episode. I think this new guy is pretty witty.

Man oh man...you have a LOT of good television ahead of you.