Official Doctor Who discussion thread

Catching up on BBC iPlayer after being away for Christmas/New Year.

Some great moments - enjoyed it a lot.

... I know ...

Related - are they showing the new (modern set) BBC Sherlock Holmes in the US? - written by Moffat and Mark Gatiss. First short series of 3 was excellent. The first of the new one is my current next stop on iPlayer.

Ta ra.

P.S. By accident caught some Tom Baker voiced radio shows from 2 or 3 years ago on BBC4Extra a few weeks ago. Nice to hear his booming voice again - the Dr of my childhood, and my second favourite to the magnificent Matt Smith.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the first two have been shown (on PBS). I may buy the dvds of that series. I think that guy playing Sherlock could play Doctor Who some day.

I made it to the end of the recent series. I started at the very beginning today. I am now watching The Daleks episode (the second ever episode.)

As with most things, I prefer the old stuff.

I believe the first two have been shown (on PBS). I may buy the dvds of that series. I think that guy playing Sherlock could play Doctor Who some day.

I made it to the end of the recent series. I started at the very beginning today. I am now watching The Daleks episode (the second ever episode.)

As with most things, I prefer the old stuff.

It has been said that Benedict Cumberbatch (Sherlock) was offered the part of the Doctor, but declined. Matt Smith auditioned for the role of Watson, but it went to Martin Freeman instead. I think the right choice was made all around. Benedict is the voice of Smaug the Dragon in the upcoming Hobbit films, starring Martin Freeman. Fun stuff.

I see a lot of the Doctor in Sherlock overall, it might have to do with the main writing team (Mark Gatis and Moffatt) is the main writers for Who.

As for the old eps, I grew up with them and loved them, but they are mostly painful to watch.

Yea - you guys gets that, and we get Sherlock as a superhero. I'd say you got the better deal.

Mr. Cumberbatchis also going to be in the new Star Trek film.

Maybe he could play some sort of role in Doctor Who someday. I have to say one thing about the first two episodes - Susan's screaming gets old rather quick.

I did not know that. I wonder why he declined.

I think he didn't want to be type casted and stuck in the "Doctor" role. Since he did Sherlock he has been in (or will be in) Tinker, Tailor Solider Spy, War Horse, The Hobbit, Paradise's End, and Star Trek II. Matt Smith thus far only has two non Who roles since becoming the Doctor (two BBC TV Movies). Benedict didn't also want to appear on school lunch boxes.

Of course in this article Benedict says he wasn't offered the role at all, but wouldn't have taken it anyway.

I doubt Benedict would appear on Doctor Who, but apparently his mother did.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm up to Spearhead From Space (January 1970). This happens to be the first color episode. And the first with Jon Pertwee as the Doctor.

Wow impressive. Thoughts thus far? Really interested in what you think of the early 80's (Peter Davidson), that is when I started getting into it.

I've never seen any of the Davidson episodes. I started with Tom Baker (back in the day).

I don't know that I care for the 2nd Doctor all that much - but some of those episodes are great. Such as The Celestial Toymaker. Of course, a lot of the episodes are missing.

Actually - I probably did see some of the Davidson episodes. But I don't recall any of them. I might when I get up to that point.

Edited by Analogman

I don't know that I care for the 2nd Doctor all that much - but some of those episodes are great. Such as The Celestial Toymaker. Of course, a lot of the episodes are missing.

There is a lot of Patrick Troughton in what Matt Smith is doing today. Though I have always felt the second doctor was too cartoonish then he needed to be.

There are some great Pertwee episodes, but it gets bogged down being on Earth for a majority of it. The Brigadier is great BTW.

Yea - the first Doctor was aloof, but sort of mean. The second Doctor seemed a bit wimpy. And the third - more dashing.

The Mind Robber is another great episode from the time of the second Doctor.

The Third Doctor comes from a time when James Bond, the Avengers, etc were huge, I think this expression of the doctor tried to be much like that.

That is thing I always liked about Doctor Who and the long running nature of the program, it really reflects the time it was made.

He even has his own car.

Got so upset in the 10th Doctor's story The Sontaran Strategy / Poison Sky the did not bring it back. It would have been perfect, he was back with UNIT, cars were acting crazy, he could have brought out old Bess and saved the day. It would have been a cool call back. Another reason why those episodes sucked.

Does anyone recall the Doctor Who movie that was on TV? I think it was in 1996.

Yes, unfortunatly.

Some of the bad things (minor spoilers):

1) The Doctor is revelied to be half human (not sure if that is true)

2) Eric Roberts is the Master

3) the plot is insane

Some of the good things

1) Paul McGann

2) Slyvester McCoy's regeneration

3) Coolest TARDIS interior ever

All in all it is pretty forgettable and bad. Though it had potential. Paul McGann was a pretty cool Doctor and it would have been neat to see him do more, the Audio plays are pretty good. Let's hope he comes back in the 50th anniversary.

I think if Fox/BBC picked it up (as was the intention) it would have lasted a yeaer at most and we would not have gotten the awesomness that is the current NuWho.

I recall watching it when it was on. There are also those films with Peter Cushing. I recall seeing them by way of the public library's VHS collection many years ago.

Along with the video Mr. Crow posted, I also some an announcement about the new girl who is going to be on the show. Since I found the Sherlock series online, I have taken a break from watching Doctor Who.

Jenna-Louise Coleman

Terror of the Autons (01/02/1971) - first appearance of The Master.

The Invasion of The Dinosaurs. I wonder who came up with the idea of the hovercraft car. Pretty wacky.

I'm now watching this episode (The Deadly Assassin):

While not precisely a villain, Mary Whitehouse almost deserves the title for she has dogged the Doctor's steps with her campaigns against violence in British television since the sixties, frequently targeting Doctor Who specifically. Mary Whitehouse was always attacking the programme for being too frightening. She once called it the most violent show on television

Taking over in Season 12, the Fourth Doctor's stories instantly became much darker and more horrific than anything which had preceded them, fighting against the giant insect Wirrn, shape-shifting Zygons, ancient mummies, human-hating Robots of Death, knife wielding dummies in Victorian London as well as the evil creator of the Daleks - Davros. However, the new-found emphasis on terror brought the show to the attention of a foe he was destined to lose against - Mary Whitehouse and her powerful and deadly National Viewers and Listeners Association.

Doctor Who had come under fire from Mary Whitehouse and her National Viewers And Listeners Association before, but never to the same degree as after the broadcast of part three of Deadly Assassin on November 13th, 1976. Whitehouse protested strongly about several sequences in the surrealistic, nightmarish episode but none more than the freeze-frame shot of the Doctor's head being held under water for several seconds. Whitehouse even quoted one child who had allegedly told his mother that he would do the same to his younger brother the next time he made him mad. Unlike past complaints by the NVALA, this time the group was successful in coaxing an apology from BBC Director General Sir Charles Curran. Indeed, the BBC even edited portions of the offending scene from the master tape of the episode, meaning that the BBC no longer holds a complete copy of part three. Fortunately, the sequence is preserved in its entirety on prints made for international distribution.

This would be the last major public outcry by Whitehouse against Doctor Who, but also marked the start of a general reduction in the horror content of the series and it's decent in silly comedy. Some fans attribute show's growing unpopularity which eventually led to it being taken off the air in 1989 to this change in direction, so ultimately Mrs. Whitehouse's campaign may have been successful, which would make her the only villain to have actually defeated the Doctor.

It all seems odd now that someone would get upset about such things when we live in a time of TV shows about serial killers, meth labs, Italian mobsters, and biker gangs.

Edited by Analogman
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In a blunder that will haunt me for the rest of my days, I was walking around London last week and passed by the theater where (unbeknownst to me) they were showing a sneak peak of the first episode of the new series with a Q&A session afterwords with cast and crew, only a few hours later. If only I had a Tardis to go back in time....

I did make it out to the all Dr. Who shop, and although its less impressive than I'd have liked, I did get some cool shirts/posters.