Official Doctor Who discussion thread

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New season starts (on BBCAmerica) September 8th. The BBC has not announced a date for the UK, but it will probably be the 8th or before.

http://www.spoilertv...daleks_20.html

Correction on my previous post it appears that the new season will start on Sept 1st rather than the 8th (per the Doctor Who Facebook page).

Which is weird, since there is 20 weeks or so between now and Christmas, and I thought they were going to show 5 episodes this year with the 5th being the Christmas episode. So unless they will be showing one every 4 weeks (which would suck) there is going to be some long breaks in there (which also sucks).

So the BBC is coming out with web shorts focused on Amy and Rory all this week, called Pond Life. I guess it will bring us up to date on what the Ponds have been doing since last we saw them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMdBsc5pQ1k&feature=youtu.be

Wonder what River has to say about his 'running into' Mata Hari?

This is an avatar of me waiting for tonight...

:bounce8

HOWEVER...watching the POND LIFE vignettes, I am concerned that Moffat is building upon a scenario (Amy and Rory having marital problems) that goes entirley counter to entire mythology of Rory and Amy (Rory being the lone Centaurian and protecting her for 2000 years...Amy's memory keeping them all alive...The Girl who waited) in order to build tension to move a story along.

\I

just saw it, the amy rory thing makes sense.

also did not see the big revel coming. makes other spoilers seem super odd.

eps rating 7.5/10

The Amy Rory thing DID make sense.

The big reveal was just right.

I do wonder a bit at the bit about forgetting the predator...

I think this one is an 8-8.5/10...a lot of good emotional stuff....Rory/Amy angst, Doctor fear, Orsin and all she entailed.

Plus, some really nice interplay between the Prime Minister of the Daleks and the good Doctor.

This could make for some interesting Doctor Who stuff...

OK...while I wait for the intelligentsia and whovians to post, I have a question. How is Jenna-Louise Coleman going to be the next companion (which she has already been announced as) when she has shown up as Orsin the dalek?

\I

The Amy Rory thing DID make sense.

The big reveal was just right.

I do wonder a bit at the bit about forgetting the predator...

I think this one is an 8-8.5/10...a lot of good emotional stuff....Rory/Amy angst, Doctor fear, Orsin and all she entailed.

Plus, some really nice interplay between the Prime Minister of the Daleks and the good Doctor.

I am not sure if we are talking about the big revel. I was talking about Oswin, not being a Dalek (which I did not see coming and was totally awesome).

but

The fact that the actress playing Oswin, is the same actress that is set to play the new companion (Clara), set to make her debut in the Christmas episode. Also from Moffat's descriptions of Clara, seemed to be the same descriptions of Oswin.

So is Oswin Clara? Or someone else entirely?

Next week Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, and Mr. Weasly as Rory's dad!

I am not sure if we are talking about the big revel. I was talking about Oswin, not being a Dalek (which I did not see coming and was totally awesome).

but

The fact that the actress playing Oswin, is the same actress that is set to play the new companion (Clara), set to make her debut in the Christmas episode. Also from Moffat's descriptions of Clara, seemed to be the same descriptions of Oswin.

So is Oswin Clara? Or someone else entirely?

Next week Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, and Mr. Weasly as Rory's dad!

re: spoiler stuff

That's my point! Mofat has really opened a can of worms...have we seen the demise of a future companion before she even appears? She did seem to be a bit familiar with the Doctor. I am really chuffed about this. (The big reveal being the Dalek stuff, not who Oswin was/is. They probably shouldn't have announcer her as a new companion. It would really have been a mind fuck to have her appear again after the end of ASYLUM OF THE DALEK'S.

I'm thinking the 'Make them remember you' and "they've forgotten me" stuff MIGHT be important for this season. If you show a gun in act 1...

re: spoiler stuff

That's my point! Mofat has really opened a can of worms...have we seen the demise of a future companion before she even appears? She did seem to be a bit familiar with the Doctor. I am really chuffed about this. (The big reveal being the Dalek stuff, not who Oswin was/is. They probably shouldn't have announcer her as a new companion. It would really have been a mind fuck to have her appear again after the end of ASYLUM OF THE DALEK'S.

I'm thinking the 'Make them remember you' and "they've forgotten me" stuff MIGHT be important for this season. If you show a gun in act 1...

A couple of things to think about

1) We have seen Oswin's face. The Doctor did not, he only saw the Dalek. Maybe in the future when he meets Clara/Oswin he will realize she will become a Dalek and erase her mind (ala Donna)

2) I actually liked the fact I knew she was the new companion. I thought hey, they are introducing her early and she might have a couple of eps with Amy and Rory. But then she turned out to be a Dalek and I was like whoa.

3) She is a genius. How did she become a genius? Was it because of the Doctor? Or because she was turned into a Dalek?

4) Well there is the whole River Song thing. The first time we met her we saw her death. So the theme is there and used.

Needless to say, the eps gave us a lot to think about. And stand alone I thought it was great. Can't wait to see how it all unfolds.

After rewatching the eps, there was something lacking. If the planet was full of Daleks too crazy for regular Daleks, they sure did act like regular Daleks (just old and broken). It would been interesting to see a Dalek just going apeshit on everything. Or rather a super nice Dalek, other than Oswin of course, that helped the Doctor, cause that would be a truly insane one.

Dinosaurs on a Spaceship.

Waiting for the eventual mashup with Snakes on a Plane.

Just a solid fun episode. Nothing too earth shattering like last weeks. I think is was more for the kids than anything else.

No Owsin unfortunately.

7.5/10

Dinosaurs on a Spaceship.

Waiting for the eventual mashup with Snakes on a Plane.

Just a solid fun episode. Nothing too earth shattering like last weeks. I think is was more for the kids than anything else.

No Owsin unfortunately.

7.5/10

There was a very telling exchange between Amy and the Doctor about mortality and traveling with the Doctor...that and the fact that there is no recorded record of the existence of the Doctor.

Something's brewing...

There was a very telling exchange between Amy and the Doctor about mortality and traveling with the Doctor...that and the fact that there is no recorded record of the existence of the Doctor.

Something's brewing...

Also the fact that really the Ponds have something that no other companion have/had, each other. They are in a realtionship with each other.

Plus how awesome is Rory now? He is truly one of the best characters on the show.

I watched most of the first episode of the new season. It was alright, I suppose. But - since I am now watching the Tom Baker years (which is where I began back in the early 1980s) I still say he is the best. Of course some of the stories and effects seem hokey now, but that is part of the magic to me. I don't think I will get finished this year, but I am still on course to watch every episode there is out there.

I watched most of the first episode of the new season. It was alright, I suppose. But - since I am now watching the Tom Baker years (which is where I began back in the early 1980s) I still say he is the best. Of course some of the stories and effects seem hokey now, but that is part of the magic to me. I don't think I will get finished this year, but I am still on course to watch every episode there is out there.

There is a certain charm to the classic Who, but after rewatching the stories don't stand up. And the special effects are terrible.

There is a divide now in Who-fandom. Classic Series v New Series (which has its subset of RTD v Moffatt). I am on the NuWho Moffat side personally.

But tonight it is A Town Called Mercy. The Doctor in a Stetson and with a gun. Should be interesting.

Blogtor Who's Spoiler free review

I think it also has to do with the pacing of the show.

The new ones seem fast, while the old ones seem slow.

They also certainly made some of the old episodes way too long.

I may make a list someday (although I am not a fan of lists anymore) of the episodes that have stuck out to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Reasonable episode...but fell into the trap of trying to cram too much into the show..

I

Reasonable episode...but fell into the trap of trying to cram too much into the show..

I

Assuming you mean the Power of 3 right?

It seemed like a hold over from the RTD era. With the news clips explaining things, to the Dad figuring things out. It also felt a bit jilted themematicly from the first 3. We increasingly where getting a darker Doctor and this one felt light.

Next week we say good bye to the Ponds