Official Doctor Who discussion thread

Adding insult to injury...not only did I have to bury my beloved mother this weekend, we had stormy weather in DFW and Doctor Who didn't record. Not to equate the two at all, but my daughter and I were looking to watching it today as a bit of mind numbing relief from the unrelenting sadness of thi weekend.

The capper to a really crappy weekend.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Some great LOL moments from the Xmas special.

"A grenade"

"automated laser monkeys"

"A bit of a tree, a bit of a wife?"

Schmaltzy stuff as usual whenever the Xmas special goes Victorian, but the Dr. is always welcome in our house.

The Sontarans were always my favourite monster characters - since way back a lone stranded one I can remember from my childhood in 73 (when the storyline was a whole series of course), and the comedy Sontaran here was excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to all of this but the other day my 14 year old daughter came down stairs and said "can we start watching Doctor Who?"  So we started with the 2005 season on netflix and are pretty well hooked at this point.  I think we've watched seven episodes over the past few days and are pretty excited to keep it going ...

I am new to all of this but the other day my 14 year old daughter came down stairs and said "can we start watching Doctor Who?"  So we started with the 2005 season on netflix and are pretty well hooked at this point.  I think we've watched seven episodes over the past few days and are pretty excited to keep it going ...

excellent.  It will be interesting to see how hers (and yours) attitude changes (about the show ) through out the significant changes the show goes through.  Specifically between the RTD years and the Moffat years.    

excellent.  It will be interesting to see how hers (and yours) attitude changes (about the show ) through out the significant changes the show goes through.  Specifically between the RTD years and the Moffat years.    

Some of the Tenant shows are downright silly. At times I think it's a shame that John Sim was wasted as the Master is his second appearance as such.

Some of the Tenant shows are downright silly. At times I think it's a shame that John Sim was wasted as the Master is his second appearance as such.

hun?  I am still trying to wrap my head around that syntax. 

I love John Simm, that thought he was great as the Master.  I liked him in the End of Time, despite the goofy parts.  That is the thing with RTD.  He would go balls out on everything.  Flying Master, giant spaceships, huge threats to the universe that you need the kitchen sink to solve.  Moffatt's stories is a much more personal and subdued.  Yes they have their silliness, but I will take Dinosaurs on a spaceship over Farting Aliens any day.      

hun?  I am still trying to wrap my head around that syntax. 

I love John Simm, that thought he was great as the Master.  I liked him in the End of Time, despite the goofy parts.  That is the thing with RTD.  He would go balls out on everything.  Flying Master, giant spaceships, huge threats to the universe that you need the kitchen sink to solve.  Moffatt's stories is a much more personal and subdued.  Yes they have their silliness, but I will take Dinosaurs on a spaceship over Farting Aliens any day.      

should be "...wasted as the  Master IN his second appearance as such."

My daughter first watched the Matt Smith Dr. and she cannot abide the silliness of the Tenant episodes. I personally think Ecclestone left way too early (I have a feeling he objected to the sillines)

• 2 months later...

That last scene looked like a slenderman cameo

• 2 weeks later...

We get to see The Rings of Akhaten tonight.

Does BBC America have adverts or is it subscription funded? Don't think I could face any of them all chopped up - and that's the reason I think that episodes have shrunk to 45 mins here - so that they will be a nice round hour in the US once puffed up with ads. I've heard there are other shows that have up to 12 minutes taken out so that they can be shown as hour long episodes in the US - ridiculous. 

Yes - there are commercials. Sometimes, lots of them.

I didn't get to see the episode. I was out and about.

I think there was a show on after Doctor Who called Ripper Street. Now it is a show called Orphan Black.

I think they should run the Dave Allen Show and Benny Hill. Ha Ha Ha

I was a bit dismissive of Ripper Street and did not see the first few episodes, but it got quite watchable later on as untaxing Sunday night TV and some interwoven ongoing storylines came together.

Orphan Black - first I've heard of it - not even shown here yet. Googling says not actually made in the UK, so that might explain it.

Dave Allen - genius.

They must be making shows just for BBC America. I have not really watched any of those other shows in recent years. Except - Doc Martin - which I rather like. I am glad there is not an American version of Doctor Who. One is enough.

Two poor episodes in a row, with tonight's being definitely piss poor. Getting fed up with the ubiquitous sonic screwdriver too. Hoping for better with ice warriors on a submarine next week.

Piss poor is about right...this surely played like one of the lesser Tennant era shows. (But nothing will top The Doctor lighting the Olympic torch...absolute dreck).

And as for the new companion...not a very appealing last name for an American audience...and even for Brits. Oswald mosley and Lee Harvey Oswald. Why not just name her Sarah Mussolini?

Secondly, where are they going with this 'impossible girl' shit. Her background won't be timelord related...we saw  her parent's meeting and courtship. She won't be a 'love interest'; the Doctor is married after all (River...remember her?) She doesn't seem especially special outside of the fact that she is cute.

Moffat needs to start bringing his "A" game here. We waited a year for this shit?

Piss poor is about right...this surely played like one of the lesser Tennant era shows. (But nothing will top The Doctor lighting the Olympic torch...absolute dreck).

Yeah this episode wasn't the best, but it wasn't completely awful.  It was in a long line of "sophomore" companion episodes and held that format pretty true where the Doctor takes his companion to the future/past and she shows how special she is (Rose's End of the World, Martha's The Shakespeare Code, Donna's The Fires of Pompeii, Amy's Beast Below).  Now these episodes are never great, it is just a way to show off the new companion.  And in comparison Rings is not any better or worse than these episodes.  Though from the mind of Neil Cross (creator of Luther) I was expecting a lot more.  I have learned from Doctor Who never get my hopes up I will always be disappointed.   

And as for the new companion...not a very appealing last name for an American audience...and even for Brits. Oswald mosley and Lee Harvey Oswald. Why not just name her Sarah Mussolini?

Yeah I never made that connection between Lee Harvey and the new companion.  I don't think anyone who watches the show will really care.   

Secondly, where are they going with this 'impossible girl' shit. Her background won't be timelord related...we saw  her parent's meeting and courtship. She won't be a 'love interest'; the Doctor is married after all (River...remember her?) She doesn't seem especially special outside of the fact that she is cute.

Just because you saw her parent's meeting etc doesn't preclude her from begin a timelord or timelord related.  Remember this is the third time we have seen her.  Once in the far future, once in past, and now in the current time.  She is some how fragmented in time, that could be some crazy timelord shit right there.  This is why she is special, this is why the Doctor is obsessed with her.     

Also on the Love interest thing, I don't think River would actually mind.  And spoilers, she is set to return sometime this season.  

Assorted musings, I loved all of the aliens.  They don't do that as much as they should.  It seems like almost every episode they are back on earth doing something rather than exploring the vastness that is the Universe.  They need to do more of that.  Also I loved the shout out to the Doctor's granddaughter.  Plus for Matt Smith being 30 he is looking old.  I swear in fact he starting to look more and more like William Hartnell, it is kinda spooky.

I do want to see more of an effort from Moffat these last two episodes haven't been awesome, true, but they aren't deserving of the hate they have been getting.  

BTW Orphan Black is a BBCA only and pretty good (after seeing only one episode).  Ripper Street was terrible.   

A recovery of sorts and I do like most of the things Gatiss does (especially lots of radio stuff here), but somehow I'm still not feeling it like I was over the past 18 months.

BTW forAnalogman - there was a new one off Jonathan Creek for Easter weekend that was well received. Have not seen it myself yet.

Oh really. I must see it.

(I made up for acquiring all the episodes and specials a few years ago - I bought all the dvds.)

Still no Caroline Quentin? That's a shame.

It's on Youtube. I will save it for Sunday morning.

Alan had a show not too long ago called Whites. It got canceled.