Official Doctor Who discussion thread

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all my board compadres from the Mother country---

What is the deal with the North of England?

Last week not bad, and finally an enjoyable one. Hurrah!

The set up with the kids at the end seemed very forced, but I like the fact they are in the next episode (with Warrick Davis and The Cybermen, written by Neil Gaiman).  If there is one thing that Matt Smith does really really well is act with children.  

This is the one episode I have been really looking forward to.  

In what sense?

Soft London-centric media-basing south-east ignoring the rest of Britain? Accents?

Rose: if you're an alien how come you sound like you are from the north?

Doctor: Lots of planets have a north.

In what sense?

Soft London-centric media-basing south-east ignoring the rest of Britain? Accents?

When Skrax was detailing all the futuristic ordinance he thought Jenny should take into Sweetville, he stated it was needed because they were 'in the north'

When Skrax was detailing all the futuristic ordinance he thought Jenny should take into Sweetville, he stated it was needed because they were 'in the north'

I see, then the answer would be that the south is usually referred to as the 'soft south', and its inhabitants 'soft southerners' by anyone from the north. Mostly due to the historical general increase in heavy industrialisation and therefore 'harder' working class folk as you progress north of the Watford Gap.

Probably that sort of thing did not register with me as memorable since it is such a given for Brits.

By the time you get to glasgow fighting is more or less a hobby.

Surely you remember this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gMJBQoHJ4E

Not a fan of Billy Connolly generally, but this is not bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed. The November anniversary edition should be epic - and i am really looking forward to a 'feature length' show. I enjoyed what they tried to do yesterday, but it felt incredibly rushed in 45 minutes.

Also, funny how i mentioned Glasgow above, then Strax found it a home from home :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this article on the speculation on who will replace him.  I have been saying Ben Whishaw for years now.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/10094072/Whos-next-The-favourites-to-replace-Matt-Smith-as-the-12th-Doctor-Who.html?fb  

The one thing I hope they don't do is make the Doctor a Female.  I couldn't care less about the race but a woman Doctor, no.  

I suppose Benedict Cumberbatch is out, but still, that is who I would like to see as the doctor.

I would think anyone who is a "major star" is probably out.  In the current era Eccelston, Tennant, and Smith had minor successful staring roles prior to being the Doctor.  

Here is an article with a list of bookmaker odds.

http://io9.com/bookmakers-are-already-placing-odds-on-the-next-doctor-510915300

My prediction is that it will be someone we have never really heard of, but who has been in a critically acclaimed BBC series in the past 2 years.   

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am just a tad underwhelmed.

I am just a tad underwhelmed.

I like the choice, I think we are going to see a very different doctor. Gravitas was used in the special, which is good. I would bet he will be closer to hartnell more than any other doctor.

I like the choice, I think we are going to see a very different doctor. Gravitas was used in the special, which is good. I would bet he will be closer to hartnell more than any other doctor.

New Doctor means  no more River, which could be a good thing...could be a bad thing. Depends.

New Doctor means  no more River, which could be a good thing...could be a bad thing. Depends.

Well this is Sci-Fi so I wouldn't count on that.  Remember her consciousness is in the Library and can be brought back (as it was in The Name of the Doctor).  For me I think her story arch is pretty much done.  Though I would watch the hell out of  the Captain Jack and River Song spinoff they keep talking about.  

• 4 weeks later...