Official Doctor Who discussion thread

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, that was something.  I am not sure how I feel about it, honestly.  

I think the one thing that bothered me was for the first time ever I watched Doctor Who on BBC America, which had commercials.  And the commercials came at the worst time and broke up the flow of show, it was very distracting.  

I am going to watch it again sans commercials and see if I find it more enjoyable.    

Soooo...we spend two years wiping out the Silence and they end up allied to the Doctor.

Galifrey is saved, but they can never return.

Not a lot of payoff for the emotional investment

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Been busting through Doctor Who with my daughter for the last few months.  Currently finishing up Season 4.  Going to miss David Tennant although I hear his replacement is very popular.  Anyways, it was great fun reading through this thread to about 2009.  Will pick up after I get a few more seasons under the belt.  It's funny, seemed like Rose was pretty popular with most the people here.  I liked her but my wife and daughter both found her annoying. 

• 1 month later...

Walked past the Tardis on the Thames Embankment on the way to work this morning. Too early for any of the actors for the photo shoot though.

Not sure about the new Doc from an actor/personality point of view yet, but I welcome a change of direction to a bit more thought and mystery rather than crash-bang-wallop and snogging the assistants - though Matt Smith was fantastic.

I can't get past the terrible theme song to be able to watch this show.. 

But yet you feel it necessary to post in a thread devoted to the show.  (slow clap)

Quite a shame really it is a fun show, worth your while if you like scifi.  I am looking forward to Saturday.  

This was posted on the Doctor Who Official Tumblr.  I forgot how truly awesome it was.  Should get you ready for Saturday.  

Any thoughts on the New Doctor?

I was a little underwhelmed.

Need a Vastra, Jenny and Drax spinoff.

I just watched it a little while ago. I missed the premiere last night. I'd say the pace has been slowed down. Not like the old days, but certainly different than recent years.

I think Cherie Priest should write some episodes.

After watching the premier again, I must say it is the weakest rollout of a new Doctor. since Christopher Eccelston. There's dark, then there's grim and forlorn.

I think Capaldi will find his stride, but after Tenant and Smith knocked their debut episodes out of the park, he has a lot of work to do.

On second thought, the Tenant  premier was a bit lame...revived by a cup of tea? Asleep most of the episode? Re-growing a hand? A sword fight?

• 2 months later...

So, have been watching the current series out of a sense of duty more than anything. Nothing especially bad (except the moon egg concept was a bit daft) and Capaldi is OK, but just was not coming away feeling pleasantly entertained. Perhaps because of the nagging thought that everything about the failing relationship between Clara and the Doctor seemed to ignore the 'impossible girl' story that meant she would have known so much more about his possibly varied character(s) already. However, Saturday was a cracker. Some nice concepts to ponder on, some surprises, and the wonderful Missy (the actress has made a specialty in warped comedy characters in the past e.g. Green Wing). Plus, the cybermen turned up right on my daily walk to work.

I thought is was just a bit too much.

Why is it the Doctor can NEVER sense another Time lord/lady? So out of the blue, we have the Master returning as the Mistress? Why not have the Rani show up? At least that would fit in with the continuity (never really been seriously posited as canon that a time lord/lady can regenerate into another sex). And, we get that the Brits don't believe in God. I mean, we really get it. We get it that you are all a bunch of open minded humanists. But this afterlife scenario was barking SILLY.

Capaldi's take is pretty wonderful, but the relationship with Clara is a mighty FAIL.

If things keep going in this vein, I can see myself finding another show to obsess on.

I thought is was just a bit too much.

Why is it the Doctor can NEVER sense another Time lord/lady? 

I thought that was weird too, previously both the 9th and 10th Doctors have said they could sense another time lord living (presumably in all of the Universe).  10 could not sense the Master when he was Harold Saxon because of the low level psychic field of the Archangel Network.  And in the End of Time 10 could sense the Master so that is why he was so eager to find him.  

When the Doctor first met Missy and she put his hand on her chest (and I am guessing he felt the two heart beats) he knew she was a Time Lord.  Why he couldn't sense her early is anyone's guess.  

At least that would fit in with the continuity (never really been seriously posited as canon that a time lord/lady can regenerate into another sex).

Well that is certainly wrong.  There are two instances that I know of that mention a gender change in regeneration.  First is in the Night of the Doctor when 8 (Paul McGann) is confronted by the Sisterhood of Karn where they give him options on his next regeneration, they ask him to choose man or woman.  Also in Neil Gamin's the Doctor's Wife, the Doctor mentions the Cosair, who was normally a man but had at least been a woman once.  Here is an interesting article on regeneration and gender from Doctor Who TV http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/a-study-of-regeneration-lord-or-lady-68459.htm.  

Also Moffatt himself said, "We've been saying for years now, certainly since I took over, that regeneration can change your gender..."  http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/capaldi-and-moffat-on-the-masters-gender-change-68582.htm

I was pretty sure Missy was the Master because, A. of Moff's previous comments on regeneration and B. the fact he said the Master won't return.

Capaldi's take is pretty wonderful, but the relationship with Clara is a mighty FAIL.

I actually find the relationship pretty great and refreshing.  At long last we do not have this "sexual tension" between the Doctor and Companion.  Rose, Capt. Jack, Martha, River, Amy and Clara, all had this love interest thing going on.  It was frankly old and annoying.  With the abrasiveness of Capaldi there is no other way that the relationship could go.       

well that was interesting.  All in all a good finale.  Not great, but good.  This season as really played well with the character arc, and wrapped up those themes by the end.  It didn't leave too much hanging, but opened the door for the Christmas Special (yeah Nick Frost).  

But the elephant in the room was of course Michelle Gomez's Master (aka Missy).  Regardless of what you think of gender swap regeneration, it is what Moffatt decided to do and it is one we are stuck with.  So in general I was put off by the portrayal and the writing of the character.  The Master has been a little crazy, but there is a cold calculating aspect to what he does.  Missy was just bat-shit insane.  Really doing things just because they seemed crazy.  Most notably murdering Osgood (who BTW I knew as a goner when the Doctor invited her on the TARDIS).  But really her whole plan didn't seem to make sense.  And manipulating Clara so that the Doctor or Clara would end up killing her?  Seriously what was that all about?  

The best Masters are equal parts crazy and cold and calculating.  My favorite Master scene is when The Master (John Simms) is newly elected as Prime Minster and he gases his cabinet.  He behind his mask has the manic  grin and give a huge double thumbs up and then it cuts to him leaned back in his chair tapping the drumbeat.  Is stare still behind the mask is chilling.  Missy had none of this.  It was all manic, you got no sense of the true evilness of the Master, just someone who is insane.  

Overall, I think the 8th series was pretty good.  I give it a solid B.  Peter Capaldi is growing on me, I can't wait to see what he does with the role.  He and the writing of his character got better as the season went on.