Official Doctor Who discussion thread

Sci Fi is starting with the 2007 Xmas special (cool, I get to watch Kylie die again!), on April 18th, so I won't be seeing the official start to season four for a couple weeks. I guess I'll stay out of this thread for a bit.

oh, I can't stand Cathrine Tate, and i'm not really looking forward to her as the companion.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i caught a decent handful of season 1 in re-runs after we finally got digital cable, but none of the other seasons since that...i may have to try and make this regular viewing. i just can't seem to jive w/ sci-fi's schedule and feel woefully behind to boot.

on a side note, the peter cushing flick 'dr. who and the daleks' finally worked it's way up my netflix que and is waiting for me at home. the sequel looked better, but should be fun anyhow.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Theres been some good episodes since we last talked, and some interesting additions to the canon...but anyhow, here's some big, fantastic, amazing, stupendous news:

Steven Moffat to be Doctor Who Lead Writer and Executive Producer

Steven has been (in my opinion) consistently the best writer on the new series, and I'm absolutely thrilled that he is taking the reigns over from Russell T. Davies. We have more episodes like (Hugo Award winning) The Empty Child/Doctor Dances, (Hugo Award winning) The girl in the fireplace, and Blink to look forward to...

Hooray

P.S. I got to meet him last year and he's a great guy and funny in person.

Theres been some good episodes since we last talked, and some interesting additions to the canon...but anyhow, here's some big, fantastic, amazing, stupendous news:

Steven Moffat to be Doctor Who Lead Writer and Executive Producer

Steven has been (in my opinion) consistently the best writer on the new series, and I'm absolutely thrilled that he is taking the reigns over from Russell T. Davies. We have more episodes like (Hugo Award winning) The Empty Child/Doctor Dances, (Hugo Award winning) The girl in the fireplace, and Blink to look forward to...

Hooray

P.S. I got to meet him last year and he's a great guy and funny in person.

This is great news, Moffat's episodes are always home runs, especially "Blink".

Yeah, hopefully this means a move to something a bit darker in tone to Davies' episodes.

I also read an interesting rumour that for the specials next year they're on about bringing McCann in for one of them...

I really enjoyed the Agatha Christie episode, even if the end was a bit rubbish!

I really enjoyed the Agatha Christie episode, even if the end was a bit rubbish!

Yeah, it was extremely fun nonsense. I was pleased :thumbup

P.S. No new episode this week.

have there been any rumors about who'll take over, if Tennant leaves?

I've been avoided spoiler/fan sites this season, just because ive had surprises ruined for me in seasons past.....so i don't know any rumors at all.

• 2 weeks later...

This weeks episode was great. Nice twists and turns, plenty of suspense and nice to see the Doctor dumbfounded by the person who knows more about him than he does!

As for spoilers, the only one I've read that I was excited about is the prospect of Neil Gaiman writing some episodes in the future.

This weeks episode was great. Nice twists and turns, plenty of suspense and nice to see the Doctor dumbfounded by the person who knows more about him than he does!

Yes, another great Steven Moffat episode, and I like that he has a two parter again this time. I think I have a good guess about the lady who knows a lot about the doctor. Other than that though, I'm very confused about whats going on.

• 3 weeks later...

That looks amazing. I've been happy with the most recent episodes...I think Davies has really stepped up his writing, especially on "Midnight". I unfortunately know the spoilers for next week. I'm not saying anything, but I'm excited.

WOW indeed... though I think there's enough get out clauses to ensure it's not a "real" regeneration...

I was left screaming "NOOOOOOOOOOOO" at the tv though - can't wait till Sat :)

I don't thing its real either, but I don't find out for another 3 weeks, since I'm off to South America on Friday. :ohwell

• 3 weeks later...

The Lost tapes from the Dr. Who engineer

The creator of the Dr WHO theme passed away in 1961 but an amazing treasure-trove of 267 tapes were found in her attic, including a techno track written in the late 60's that sounds like it could have been released this year. An amazing find for music and sound geeks.

Some BBC video of how the sounds were made

• 2 weeks later...
In an interview with the Daily Telegraph, Julie Gardner revealed that the second Doctor Who 2009 special will air at Easter. The first of the specials will air this Christmas and the last of the specials will air next Christmas. People are speculating that the third will air at Halloween. Here is a quote from the interview;

"Our main motivation for giving Doctor Who a break is that we want the audience to remember how much they love it," she said. "Come 2010, we want people to be cheering its return. We are making four one-hour specials. The first, which we

I just watched the finale a couple of nights ago. My daughter and I got really excited when we saw the Christmas special preview until we realized we have to wait until Christmas to see it! I've just been getting the series off of the internets and hadn't realized we were at the end of what's available. Now, I'm going to go back and watch the old school Doctors.