Official Doctor Who discussion thread

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is one of the best episodes of the new run.

I was glad to see it - as I have been trying to watch the ABC version of Life On Mars - but I can't get into it. Note to the producers: Jim Croce was probably not the sort of dude who hung out in a discotheque.

I was glad to see it - as I have been trying to watch the ABC version of Life On Mars - but I can't get into it. Note to the producers: Jim Croce was probably not the sort of dude who hung out in a discotheque.

?

life_on_mars.gif

Speaking of British shows, I just started watching Garth Marenghi's Darkplace. This show is hilarious. Some of the stuff its making fun of is not far off from things that happened in the old Doctor Who series.

I have not seen the British version or the other one you mentioned.

you'd probably like it. i actually thought ashes to ashes was slightly better, but most people prefer life on mars - either way, they're both the best comedy/drama/cop show the bbc has ever made. gene hunt - 'the gene genie' is just a brilliant character. i had no idea the us made their own version - i would have thought that was really necessary.

Speaking of British shows, I just started watching Garth Marenghi's Darkplace. This show is hilarious. Some of the stuff its making fun of is not far off from things that happened in the old Doctor Who series.

that's a good show. dave berry voices my favourite tv ad at the moment: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=G63uNdyE3kk&...feature=related

the spin-off show of garth marenghi is "man to man with dean learner": http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=H_SCV8XwkX8

i think all the episodes are on youtube.

you'd probably like it. i actually thought ashes to ashes was slightly better, but most people prefer life on mars - either way, they're both the best comedy/drama/cop show the bbc has ever made. gene hunt - 'the gene genie' is just a brilliant character. i had no idea the us made their own version - i would have thought that was really necessary.

I figure networks are trying to capture the LOST vibe/audience anyway they can.

Actually, I am familiar with the references...just looking for an excuse to give some love to Marvin Martian.

• 2 weeks later...
okay, it took me long enough, but i think i've finally become geeked out by the tennant run. the past few saturdays i've been catching up w/ older episodes via PBS and the start of season 4 on BBC America. phwor!

took you long enough. :cheers

no shit, tully. you know, not that anybody here would be aware of any such place to do so, but i really wish there was a more cost-effective way to catch up w/ some of these episodes online.

also, while we're discussing other UK TV shows...did anybody watch Primeval? kind of goofy, but a lot of fun. that show, i saw from start to the finish of season 2.

also, while we're discussing other UK TV shows...did anybody watch Primeval? kind of goofy, but a lot of fun. that show, i saw from start to the finish of season 2.

I tried it out, but couldn't get into it.

I like Robin Hood, and I'm hoping that BBCA airs Merlin at some point.

I tried it out, but couldn't get into it.

I like Robin Hood, and I'm hoping that BBCA airs Merlin at some point.

i'm enjoying merlin, and i enjoyed robin hood. they're far from perfect, but there is something good about them. the only thing i find slightly annoying about merlin is it has a talking dragon in it - ok, it's john hurt's voice, but still it's something that could have been left out of the show (apart from anything else, they don't have the budget to make it look even slightly good).

i just can't say the same for the new doctor who, which i think is a mess - it's a show that could have benefited from a large ritalin perscription, or at least cutting out the fizzy pop for the writers, directors and cast. i just can't work out why people can watch it - i've given it enough of a chance - but every time i watch it i end up with a headache, and when did the doctor become such a righteous prig? - he never was in the past.

• 1 month later...
Re-watching a few episodes from Season 1, completed Season 2 last night and will be taking care of Season 3 by the new year...i'll continue watching season 4 on BBC America for fun. Good god, I have fallen for this show hard.

Then, might try Torchwood.

And there's a new episode on Thursday!

Torchwood starts off pretty mediocre in my opinion but then improves and improves.