Where to start with The Grateful Dead?

I love Owsley's contention that he provided a 'community service'. I have no way to dispute or agree with this idea...I was born 10 years too late to make an 'informed decision'. :lol

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about injecting pureed steak directly to the stomach?

I'll take mine fresh off of the grill, sir.

7/15/89---the first Deer Creek show. A veddy good 'un. "Close Encounters" space. Really, this show was the jump start to the excellent Alpine Run, and the next 2 years of killer Dead.

Dick's Picks, Volume Eleven

Grateful Dead

Initial release : June 1998

Grateful Dead Records GDCD-4031

Three CD live set from September 27, 1972 at the Stanley Theatre.

Dick's Picks, Volume Eleven

Grateful Dead

Initial release : June 1998

Grateful Dead Records GDCD-4031

Three CD live set from September 27, 1972 at the Stanley Theatre.

Question: there are 3 DPs from that 10-day stretch in Sep. '72 (9/17, 9/21, 9/27). Which one is your favorite? I kinda lean towards the last DP ever (9/21) just because I love Dark Star>Dews..but that Dark Star>Cumberland is amazing! Really sweet transition. Might be the only time that combo was played. Too bad, it works!

Hell, that 9/28 show should be released. One of my favorite Other Ones.

That is the only one I have heard - out of that run.

Dick's Picks, Vol. 2, 1995 : Columbus, 10/31/71

Dick's Picks, Vol. 5, 1996 : Oakland, 12/26/79

Dick's Picks, Vol. 7, 1997 : London, 9/9-11/74

Dick's Picks, Vol. 8, 1997 : Binghampton, 5/2/70

Dick's Picks, Vol. 10, 1998 : Winterland, 12/29-30/77

Dick's Picks, Vol. 11, 1998 : Jersey City, 9/27/72

Dick's Picks, Vol. 12, 1998 : Providence & Boston, 6/26 & 28/74

The first two I bought used - they are the original tape box cover cover art releases. The rest, I bought at the same time when they were available for a time at the place where I buy cds - they have the pale cloud looking covers with the individual art icon deal on the front.

a good site

For more than 20 years, Stanley -- at 72, still known as the Bear -- has been living with his wife, Sheila, off the grid, in the outback of Queensland, Australia, where he makes small gold and enamel sculptures and keeps in touch with the world through the Internet.
How exactly is he "off the grid" and on the net at the same time? :huh

I'm currently doing my anti-rain dance, since the weather forecast for seeing Ratdog tomorrow night looks like a 50/50 chance of rain/thunderstorms. Kinda blows cuz I am suddenly finding myself all geeked up for this show and was hoping for a picturesque summer night. But I guess as long as there is no lightning a little rain doesn't matter. If you dance fast enough you can slip between raindrops...

I'm currently doing my anti-rain dance, since the weather forecast for seeing Ratdog tomorrow night looks like a 50/50 chance of rain/thunderstorms. Kinda blows cuz I am suddenly finding myself all geeked up for this show and was hoping for a picturesque summer night. But I guess as long as there is no lightning a little rain doesn't matter. If you dance fast enough you can slip between raindrops...

Is that at PromoWest? F*#k the rain. You'll have a great time! :dancing

One of the best times I ever had--Alpine '89. Torrential downpour the last 2 nights. Very "Woodstock-esque" you might say.

"Woodstock-esque". Nice. :thumbup

Yep, the venue nowadays is called Lifestyle Communities Pavilion (horrible name) or "The LC" as the kids call it. I've never been to an outdoor show there, but the indoor/outdoor venue is an interesting concept. The setup looks cool in the sense that you get the chill vibe of an outdoor show without anybody being a zillion miles from the stage like if you were on the lawn at a shed. The whole thing is GA for this show, which is cool:

18892s.gif

Rain or shine, I'm lookin' forward to this one. :dancing

How exactly is he "off the grid" and on the net at the same time? :huh

I think he means without using city water, electricity, etc. In the Rolling Stone article, it says that he got all that land by simply claiming it as his own.

I'm currently doing my anti-rain dance, since the weather forecast for seeing Ratdog tomorrow night looks like a 50/50 chance of rain/thunderstorms.

So if I hear you correctly, it looks like rain...

md_BobWeirofGratefulDead.jpg

I'll revive this just to add to the dismay of those whom might have though this thread finally croaked. :lol

Counting down to showtime for BobDog tonight. Rain has held off thus far today, tho evening looks dicey. So be it. I haven't danced in the rain since I was a kid--might do me some good.

Dear Bob, on the off chance you are spending the afternoon in my fair city by perusing a Wilco messageboard, here are some songs it would be cool to hear tonight:

Estimated Prophet (been digging on this one recently)

Black-Throated Wind (maybe a long shot, but I always liked this one)

Corrina (b/c my most recent serious GD kick came about by me listening to GD live shows while sitting up with my baby daughter Corrine for her 3:00am feedings. so this would be a cool choice)

In return for your cooperation in playing any of these, I promise not to visibly grimace in pain when you choose to sing some Jerry songs tonight. :lol

You might get a Corrina or Estimated, Black-Throated looks like a long shot indeed.

Here's last night's setlist; he's doing a lot of Dead these days.

I: Jam > The Golden Road to Unlimited Devotion > Jack Straw > Easy to Slip > Supplication > Easy to Slip > Lazy River Road > Big Railroad Blues

II: K.C. Moan, Friend of the Devil, Victim or the Crime > Even So > October Queen > The Deep End > West L.A. Fadeaway > Jam > Wharf Rat > GDTRFB

BTW does indeed seem like a long shot.

What fun is it to put songs on your wishlist that you actually think will get played? :lol

I've had a headache all day at work, but it is suddenly subsiding as quittin' time draws near. :dancing

Enjoy the show. I might catch 'em at Red Rocks early next week (depends on the mood of the day). I hear Kimmock's been rippin' it up, too.

I don't mind Weir doing Garcia tunes. They're partly his tunes, as well.

One of my favorite stickers from tour in the 80s: "Bob Spit On Me."

Will do. :thumbup

BTW, I don't really have an issue w/ Bob doing Jerry tunes. In fact, its wonderful to see them in the setlist--it just takes a little getting used to.

Hey q23 be sure to give us a report when you can. Have fun!

I know this should probably be in the NP thread, but what the hell...just unwrapped (finally!) From the Vault 3 and am crankin' me some Pig! :worship