• 2 months later...

I dont play keyboards (wish I did), but there is not much sexier than an old tube b-3 or A-100 with a real leslie whirring away. I get to play regularly with a few guys with real hammond setups, and it is absolutely magical!!!!!

I also want a mellotron badly, but they are like 6 grand. They sound so freaking cool though!

I've played an Electro a number of times, and they are great. Especially with the added bonus of being one of the more portable keyboards out there, it does excellent emulations of Wurlitzers, Rhodes, Clavinet (think intro to "Monday") and Hammond organ.

There are other keyboards out there which does similar things though, and some better, some just as well but slightly different... but the Electro is a really well designed, tasteful board.

Downsides... no actual drawbars for the organ (to slide in and out physically... instead, you use buttons - which ain't quite the same, you can't blindly feel your way around for example - you need to look). Limited sounds (you're not going to get any Mellotron stuff on it).

I personally play a Korg CX-3 organ and a Wurlitzer 200A, so have little need for an Electro.

Sorry to threadjack, but I'm looking into a Nord Electro 2 61. Have any of you had any experience with these machines, and can you make any recommendations?

Cheers!

I have one (i play keyboards occasionally), and the keyboardist in my band uses it.

I have to say, it's the most badass keyboard ever invented. Sure, it doenst have real drawbars and a CX-3 MIGHT sound a tiny bit more authentic, but it's not only an organ. Its electromechanical keyboard sounds are amazing: the Rhodes, Wurlitzer, etc etc.

Also, it has a bunch of cool built in effects, and an acoustic piano sample which doesnt sound as much like a grand as it does an upright (which is actually kinda refreshing in Grand sample-dominated keyboard world).

In conclusion, get one! Its a helluva lot of bang for the buck.

:cheers

Ordered. First impressions / review coming soon.

I don't often buy instruments blindly, but based on the few times I've played them in the show room, the fact that literally All my favorite bands who use keyboards play them live, and the fact that the organ emulation sound samples made me scream with happiness, I think I'm in a good position.

I understand the drawbar simulation button thing, but for me, someone who's not used to playing actual organs, I'm sure I'll be satisfied. The preset system is probably most useful for me-- I have the tendency to gravitate towards very specific sounds and rarely gravitate from them-- ever since I've "perfected" my guitar setup I haven't adjusted a single knob, save for when it gets accidentally knocked out of place.

The upright-based piano sound is exactly what I'm looking for as well. The grands are more than good for other people, but with my playing style it should suit it perfectly. In addition to that, my lady friend has this magnificent 80lb Roland digital piano that has more than enough sounds in it should we need something specific for recording. Hauling it places isn't the easiest, which, I won't lie was another huge factor in looking at the Nord.

Anyway, report soonnnnnnnnn.