Songs/Albums To Get You Through a Hard Time

i've had a pretty miserable few weeks of being fucked up over a girl and i'm still in the wallowing stage. here's what has dominated my listening:

bonnie prince billy - i see a darkness

m. ward - transfiguration of vincent

beck - sea change

ryan adams - heartbreaker/gold

handsome furs - plague park

the national - sad songs for dirty lovers

the hold steady - seperation sunday

bright eyes - lifted

not pulled out 'electro-shock blues' in ages.

almost 100% of the time i feel that way, i go for Van Morrison's 'Astral Weeks.' its an album of unfathomable beauty that truly acts as a friend and will pull you through. i really hope you get to it, preferably with a good pair of headphones, because i am positive it will help. also see Van Morrison's 'Veedon Fleece' for a similar healing.

also, here's lester bangs amazing exploration into the beauty of Astral Weeks:

http://www.harbour.sfu.ca/~hayward/van/reviews/astral.html

Temple of the Dog's- Temple of the Dog

Yes. Haven't thought about that album for a long time. I use either Husker Du's Zen Arcade or Candy Apple Grey or the Cowboy Junkies' Trinity Sessions myself.

i've had a pretty miserable few weeks of being fucked up over a girl and i'm still in the wallowing stage. here's what has dominated my listening:

m. ward - transfiguration of vincent

beck - sea change

ryan adams - heartbreaker/gold

the national - sad songs for dirty lovers

bright eyes - lifted

not pulled out 'electro-shock blues' in ages.

good choices.... "Waste" by bright eyes really hits home

Bob Dylan's "Most Of The Time" makes it hard to swallow sometimes

Many good Eels tracks too, ie "Rags to Rags", "Not Ready Yet", "Guest List".... I guess mostly all of Beautiful Freak

almost 100% of the time i feel that way, i go for Van Morrison's 'Astral Weeks.' its an album of unfathomable beauty that truly acts as a friend and will pull you through.

Yes :worship

Not only will it pull you through difficult times, but it's so gorgeous that there's no worry of it being ruined afterwards. This album has helped me through some pretty hard times, but I still think of the sunrise every time I hear it. That sounds really hippie-esque, but there's really no other way I can describe it.

Yes :worship

Not only will it pull you through difficult times, but it's so gorgeous that there's no worry of it being ruined afterwards. This album has helped me through some pretty hard times, but I still think of the sunrise every time I hear it. That sounds really hippie-esque, but there's really no other way I can describe it.

I think it might be my favorite non-Beatle recording. Lester Bangs got it right.

--Mike

My father died January 31, 2007. We were and, I guess, still are, very close.

This morning, while driving to work, I listened to Freeze The Saints by Stephen Malkmus and cried.

The song has, over the past several months, become very important to me. It might help you too.

In regards to it being a family sickness, in the past I've gone with...

"In the Living Years" - Mike & the Mechanics in order to wallow in it

OR...

"Give a Little Love" - Ziggy Marley to bring myself up :thumbup

...or "Three Little Birds" by his dad. :thumbup

Too funny!!! I was singing THAT VERY SONG at work to myself yesterday to get me thru an unexpected rush at my restaurant!!! :dancing

I never knew the title...thanks!!! :D

Ditto REM's Automatic (really any REM can make me happy or sad in a bittersweet way, just depends on what I'm in the mood for)

Uncle Tupelo: Still Feel Gone (if you've got some pissed off feelings mixed in with your other stuff)

Son Volt: Trace and Wide Swing Tremolo (for whatever reason, these albums really helped me when my son was sick)

Wilco: YHF ...also alot of the b-sides and rarities really do it for me

Jayhawks: Rainy Day Music, Hollywood Town Hall, Tomorrow the Green Grass

Grant Lee Buffalo: Songs from the Storm Hymnal

Victoria Williams: Loose (if you need a good cry and want to stop feeling so damn jaded)

Bright Eyes: I'm Wide awake it's morning

Matt Pond PA: Emblems (reminds me of the end of summer)

Paul Westerberg: Best of (cuz he's more pathetic than you)

Pavement: Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain

Frank Black: Teenager of the Year (seems like it's all about escapism and needing to clear your head)

Buffalo Tom: Big Red Letter Day

Flaming Lips: Yoshimi, Soft Bulletin

Mazzy Star: Fade into You (if you REALLY want to wallow in your misery)

The Shins, They Might Be Giants, and Built to Spill ...when you're ready to feel a little better, sort of

Hope whatever is troubling you gets better. :) Don't forget to take care of yourself.