tonight i saw the indie movie "once" starring the frames' glen hansard (also was the guitarist in the commitments) and i must say that it was a hell of a movie. great music, great story, and great acting. the movie outline from imdb.com is:

"A modern-day musical about a busker and an immigrant and their eventful week, as they write, rehearse and record songs that tell their love story."

if memory serves me correctly, i remember richard roeper said this movie took $40,000 to make and it has raked in over $4 million.

This film made me very happy. I especially like Marketa Irglova's song "If You Want Me" and the scene where she puts on her headphones and is walking home and all the kids are following her. I feel it was the perfect "real" love story.

Marketa Irglova's song "If You Want Me" and the scene where she puts on her headphones and is walking home and all the kids are following her.

That was sublime. Made me realize as it was happening that I had underestimated the potential of the movie musical.

That was sublime. Made me realize as it was happening that I had underestimated the potential of the movie musical.

That was the one traditional movie-musical scene in what was otherwise an entirely anti-musical musical (god, that was a stupid sentence...).

I've been thinking lately that two of my favorite movies from the past couple of years have been this one, and a very traditional musical: Colma: The Musical (now playing in SF and NYC, so if you live anywhere near either of those major metropolitan areas, get your ass out to see it :dancing ).

That was the one traditional movie-musical scene in what was otherwise an entirely anti-musical musical (god, that was a stupid sentence...).

I saw this again the other night, and I realize that what I probably should have said here was that this was the MOST traditional musical scene in this movie, but still, hardly MGM-style.