After following this thread for some time seeking some sort of reassurance that I wasn't the only one confused, I have to agree with you, LS. I never cared about the characters, and I will need a good dose of botox on my forehead to get rid of the "WTF?" look on my face while watching this show. I quit after a few episodes. I am sorry for those of you who loved it, as that's always sad when it's cancelled. I guess I'm more an Entourage-Curb-SATC-Sopranos type of viewer.

I'm more of a Curb-John-Sopranos-Wire viewer.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed every minute of the show, though I can't really explain why. Sort of like my love for David Lynch films.

I understand why it didn't do well commercially. I'm trying to be an optimist and hope that this means Milch will consider doing the Deadwood movies that were talked about.

the only thing cool about the show was the opening credits. not surprised at all this show got the axe. hbo should have higher standards and better ideas than that...seriously. to each his own, but that was horribly written and terribly acted. i just didn't get it. or maybe that was the cool thing about it? whatever.

It had all of the trademark qualities of a great David Milch show. I think the reason this didn't get another shot at a second season is because Albreitch (sp?) is no longer CEO of HBO. He would have fought for it.

Like Deadwood, it was overlooked by most people because the story was not mundane enough.

i don't know if mundane enough is a fair label for the shows that have survived on the network. if it were regular tv, sure, but HBO has a good record of presenting decent tv shows. even back when they ran Mr. Show for four seasons, HBO did a good job.

Weeds is excellent - probably the best cable premium network series. i like BIG LOVE a lot also.

I think the reason this didn't get another shot at a second season is because Albreitch (sp?) is no longer CEO of HBO. He would have fought for it.

AMEN! whoever has taken his place doesn't have the balls to fight for these shows. Milch is one of a kind, just like Lynch, and he really churns out some brilliant programs. it took me a season to get into Deadwood, but it's truly a masterpiece and I'm a diehard fan. I really think if John was given a 2nd season it would have caught on and had a chance to flesh out more of the story. so it goes...

I've never seen this show, so maybe there's something I'm missing here - but maybe it's not a great idea to have what appears to be a giant spoiler as the subject of this thread? Is it possible some people don't want to know? Or is the "gone" just a reference to the cancellation?

it's not really a spoiler at all. one of the characters said it throughout the show...

also, I'm not so sure if faster pace and editing would have kept the show from being cancelled. certainly Sopranos didn't always have a fast pace and during the last couple of seasons I was continously wondering when the hell "something" was going to happen.

Since it was pretty much known since episode 4 that HBO cancelled JfC and shortened the season from 12 to 10 episodes.... you have to wonder if Milch mailed it in (sure seemed like it) and started to focus on this:

"HBO just cancelled David Milch's John from Cincinnati, but that hasn't stopped the two entities from working together. According to Variety, Milch's next series for the pay cable channel is already in the works.

David is creating a pilot about New York police. The story will revolve around a Vietnam Vet who returns to the U.S. in the 1970s and joins the NYPD. The series will be based on the real-life experiences of NYPD Blue executive producer, and longtime friend of Milch, Bill Clark. They are developing the program together.

Milch has described the series lead as a man who was "recruited as a soldier while he was overseas, to come back as a disaffected veteran and infiltrate the antiwar movement, as a shortcut into the New York City police force as a detective.""

he already did something like that.:yawn
There's an interview with Milch where he says that he will never do another cop story again. I'll see if I can dig it up. It's like an 1 hour and 40 minute interview a-la "Inside the Actor's Studio"
There's an interview with Milch where he says that he will never do another cop story again. I'll see if I can dig it up. It's like an 1 hour and 40 minute interview a-la "Inside the Actor's Studio"
Here it is: http://mitworld.mit.edu/video/383/You will learn some pretty off the wall stuff about Milch including some real-life stuff that went into "John." - Worth the time for Milch fans.
deadwood was kind of a cop story, but not really. i think there's a nyc cop drama for every three nyc cops. this is not good news.

Oh...don't be so harsh.

A disaffected veteran being recruited to infiltrate the anti-war movement? Sound relevent AND full of possibilities.

There's an interview with Milch where he says that he will never do another cop story again. I'll see if I can dig it up. It's like an 1 hour and 40 minute interview a-la "Inside the Actor's Studio"Here it is: http://mitworld.mit.edu/video/383/You will learn some pretty off the wall stuff about Milch including some real-life stuff that went into "John." - Worth the time for Milch fans.

thanks for the link. what stories...