Michael Vick indicted

060927_michaelVick_vmed_5p.widec.jpg

If found guilty, he should be dipped in A-1 sauce and dropped in a cage full of hungry pitbulls.

Falcons' Vick Indicted In Dogfighting Case

Star QB Alleged to Have Been Highly Involved

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, July 18, 2007; Page E01

A federal grand jury in Richmond indicted Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick and three other men yesterday on charges related to their alleged operation of a dogfighting ring based at a property Vick owns in southeastern Virginia.

Vick, one of the NFL's most exciting players, was charged with competitive dogfighting and conducting the venture across state lines. The 19-page indictment alleged Vick was highly involved in the operation, alleging that he attended fights and paid off bets when his dogs lost. It said he also was involved in the executions of dogs that did not perform well.

If convicted, Vick could face a total of up to six years in prison and $350,000 in fines. He could face additional discipline by the NFL, even if he is not convicted.

Vick's associates, Purnell Peace, Quanis Phillips and Tony Taylor, were indicted on the same charges.

The NFL said the matter would be reviewed under the league's toughened personal conduct policy. "We are disappointed that Michael Vick has put himself in a position where a federal grand jury has returned an indictment against him," the NFL said in a written statement. "We will continue to closely monitor developments in this case, and to cooperate with law enforcement authorities. The activities alleged are cruel, degrading and illegal. Michael Vick's guilt has not yet been proven, and we believe that all concerned should allow the legal process to determine the facts."

Federal officials twice searched the property -- which was purchased by Vick near Smithfield, Va., in 2001 -- after suspicions were initially raised in late April. Officers reportedly found equipment associated with dogfighting, blood stains on the walls of a room and a bloodstained carpet stashed on the property. They reportedly removed more than 60 dogs from the property.

According to the indictment, Vick decided in his rookie season of 2001, with Phillips and Taylor, to start a dogfighting operation. Vick, who grew up in Newport News, paid $34,000 in June 2001 for a property at 1915 Moonlight Rd. and, according to the indictment, "used this property as the main staging area for housing and training the pit bulls involved in the dogfighting venture and hosting dog fights."

The men, who named their enterprise the "Bad Newz Kennels," developed the property for their dogfighting operation, building a house, "a fence to shield the rear portion of the compound from public view [and] multiple sheds used at various times to house training equipment, injured dogs and organized fights," the indictment said.

The indictment details a series of dogfights in which members of the operation allegedly participated, including several fights in the fall of 2003 when Vick was sidelined with a broken leg.

The indictment said that in April 2007, Peace, Phillips and Vick "executed approximately eight dogs that did not perform well in 'testing' sessions by various methods, including hanging, drowning and/or slamming at least one dog's body to the ground." Vick also is alleged to have consulted with Peace before Peace killed a losing dog by electrocution in 2003.

Vick, 27, who is a registered dog breeder, reportedly has agreed to sell the house. He told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution while in New York for the NFL draft in late April that he was not aware of dogfighting activities on the property, saying he rarely visited it.

Vick and his representatives declined to comment about the case after that and were not available to comment yesterday.

Dogfighting is a felony in Virginia and 47 other states. Transporting dogs over state lines for dogfighting is a federal crime.

"There have been cases in Virginia where there have been convictions and people sent to prison with far less evidence," John Goodwin, a dogfighting expert with the Humane Society, said recently. "They can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that dogfighting took place on that property."

In a statement, the Falcons, who open their training camp next week, expressed disappointment "that one of our players -- and therefore the Falcons -- is being presented to the public in a negative way, and we apologize to our fans and the community for that."

NFL officials said throughout the investigation that they were monitoring the case closely. Members of the league's security department reportedly offered their assistance to investigators in Surry County, Va.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell met with Vick in New York at the draft and, Goodell said later, received a promise from Vick that "he's going to make changes in his life."

Goodell toughened the league's conduct policy in April and suspended Tennessee Titans cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones for all of the 2007 season and Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chris Henry and former Chicago Bears defensive tackle Tank Johnson for the first half of it. The league's amended conduct policy says that Goodell may discipline a player even if the player has not been convicted of a crime.

AirTran Airways recently decided against renewing Vick's contract as a company spokesman. Vick reached a settlement last year with a woman who charged in a lawsuit that he had knowingly given her herpes. Last season, Vick was fined $10,000 by the NFL and agreed to donate another $10,000 to charity for making an obscene gesture toward fans while leaving the field after a game at the Georgia Dome in November.

In January, authorities said that a water bottle surrendered by Vick at a security checkpoint at Miami International Airport had a marijuana-like substance in a secret compartment. Later they announced that laboratory tests showed no evidence of drugs and that no charges would be filed. Vick said the compartment was used to store jewelry.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's interesting. Where ain't it?

Dog fighting is unlawful in all 50 states and the District of Columbia' date=' as well as Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. According to an attorney for the Humane Society, as of 2007, related charges carry felony sanctions in all of these except in Idaho and Wyoming.[/quote']
The indictment said that in April 2007, Peace, Phillips and Vick "executed approximately eight dogs that did not perform well in 'testing' sessions by various methods, including hanging, drowning and/or slamming at least one dog's body to the ground." Vick also is alleged to have consulted with Peace before Peace killed a losing dog by electrocution in 2003.

Without a doubt, this puts him in the ranks of the most repulsive humans currently living.

I can't wait to see Goodell try to sidestep this. He threw the book at Pacman despite him never being found guilty, but I bet nothing happens to Vick.

I bet you're wrong. Depending on how long the trial takes (and assuming he's convicted), Vick may never suit up again. He could be in prison until long after his playing days would have ended.

As he probably should be.

I really doubt he'll suit up again - once this is everywhere, and it will be, it would be suicidal of the Falcons even to be associated with him, regardless of 'innocent before proven a monster.'

About when a trial may start:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2940312

When would Vick's trial begin?

The federal courthouse in Richmond, Va., is the home of the nationally recognized "rocket docket." Cases move quickly in Richmond, more quickly than in any other courthouse in the federal system. Vick's lawyers will be looking for delays and for time to prepare a defense, but the trial likely would begin in a matter of four to six months.

I don't know if he was fighting dogs or not, but it's his property, it's his dog. If that's what he wants to do, do it. I think people should mind their business.

I know of a lot of back roads that got the dog fight if you want to go see it. If it's behind closed doors, it's okay.

ed. This is Clinton Portis.

I know its naive of me to think it, but I can't help thinking that I don't understand how professional athletes with so much fame, so much money and the best of everything at their fingertips would be willing to risk throwing everything away over the most ridiculously stupid stuff. I mean, this isn't even drugs or alcohol. And he's not addicted. Does Michael Vick really have such a passion for electrocuting under-performing dogs that he can't say no? It's mindboggling to me. Get another hobby for crying out loud. You have the money.

And if it's the gambling that he's attracted to, buy a racehorse. Go to Vegas.

I don't know. Maybe it's because they have so much fame and money that they can somehow convince themselves that they are invincible/untouchable/etc.

(Lammycat: nice save on the Portis bit)

Guest Jules
I know its naive of me to think it, but I can't help thinking that I don't understand how professional athletes with so much fame, so much money and the best of everything at their fingertips would be willing to risk throwing everything away over the most ridiculously stupid stuff. I mean, this isn't even drugs or alcohol. And he's not addicted. Does Michael Vick really have such a passion for electrocuting under-performing dogs that he can't say no? It's mindboggling to me. Get another hobby for crying out loud. You have the money.

And if it's the gambling that he's attracted to, buy a racehorse. Go to Vegas.

I don't know. Maybe it's because they have so much fame and money that they can somehow convince themselves that they are invincible/untouchable/etc.

Or maybe they're just fucking idiots.

They/he may be idiotic, but he certainly is/was aware it was illegal. I think this speaks to the point that perhaps he feels invincible/above the law.

Even though it's a felony I'd guess the odds are in his favor that the charges will be reduced to a favorable plea agreement. I mean, he's a well-paid and well-known athlete after all. Maybe Vick isn't so idiotic after all...or idiotic like a fox.

Let me preface this by saying that I am in complete agreement with a law that makes it a felony for anyone to do what VIck is accused of doing to those dogs.

That being said, I have to admit I was a bit surprised when I learned that these acts are felonies. And I am surprised at the fallout that is going on (at least initially) with people claiming he will never play again.

It's awesome and he deserves a special place in hell. But I am surprised that so many other people seem to agree.