Michael Vick indicted

Guest Jules
They/he may be idiotic, but he certainly is/was aware it was illegal. I think this speaks to the point that perhaps he feels invincible/above the law. Even though it's a felony I'd guess the odds are in his favor that the charges will be reduced to a favorable plea agreement.

In other words, he is above the law, no? I prefer to believe that these guys are really just that stupid.

Without a doubt, this puts him in the ranks of the most repulsive humans currently living.

Really?

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there will be a lot of backlash from the public on this one. Like they were saying on Mike and Mike this morning, The Humane Society is going to get behind this and put a lot of pressure on the Falcons corporate sponsors as well as the NFL's corporate sponsors. They will demand that they stop their partnerships, advertisments, etc. What it boils down to is $$$$. The NFL especially is image conscious and they don't want to be loosing any revenue. The Falcons as well will be pressured to do something. It really doesn't matter what the legal outcome is...Vick is going to pay in the court of public opinion.

To me this guy Vick is a piece of shit. I don't for one second believe he had no knowledge of any of these crimes. I love dogs and can not fathom that kind of cruelty to them (or any other animal). If found guilty in the courts I hope he does some serious prison time, though that's not likely with his stature as an athlete and having some big $$$, he'll buy the best verdict he can afford.

Let me preface this by saying that I am in complete agreement with a law that makes it a felony for anyone to do what VIck is accused of doing to those dogs.

That being said, I have to admit I was a bit surprised when I learned that these acts are felonies. And I am surprised at the fallout that is going on (at least initially) with people claiming he will never play again.

It's awesome and he deserves a special place in hell. But I am surprised that so many other people seem to agree.

I'm not surprised when you consider how many pet owners there are in this country. The vast majority have a deep emotional attachment to their dogs because dogs typically provide an unyielding loyalty and a perceived unconditional love for their owners. My guess is that a significant percentage of Americans that watch the NFL often do so with their dog at their feet or lying next to them on the couch.

The idea of hurting an animal similar to the one that gives so many people joy and sitting right next to you is disturbing and repulsive. The only thing more disturbing is someone hurting someone within your family (and many people consider their dogs a part of their family).

Even though it's a felony I'd guess the odds are in his favor that the charges will be reduced to a favorable plea agreement. I mean, he's a well-paid and well-known athlete after all. Maybe Vick isn't so idiotic after all...or idiotic like a fox.

Considering that the former Chief of Staff for the Vice-President of the United States, Scooter Libby, and guys as wealthy and well-connected as Jeff Skilling and Ken Lay weren't able to avoid conviction based on federal felony charges, I'd say the odds are against him.

Wow, that could go down as like the greatest move ever.

We also got Tim Dwight and a couple of draft picks out of it as well.

Trading Eli's rights to the Giants for Phillip Rivers, and draft picks which included Merriman is another great one

If Ryan Leaf had any value it was getting the Chargers to trade #1 pick QB's and getting a hell of a lot out of it

If Pete Rose can incur a lifetime ban for betting on baseball, I think this deserves similar punishment, but I'm an old softie when it comes to the doggies and kitties.

Of course there are more serious crimes, but we've grown kind of numb to the usual violence -- how many spouse abusers are still earning millions playing professional sports? It's fucking twisted that you can beat up your wife and only get suspended for a few games, but maybe that's a result of the sad reality that lots of guys beat up their wives, and it's just not that shocking to the general public any more.

Vick's (alleged) crimes, though, seem to have struck a chord, probably because it's not something we hear about every day, and because we're so disgusted by such cruel treatment of what should be harmless pets. As a result, it's a big black eye to the Falcons and the league, and I won't be surprised if he never plays again.

Now, if we can just apply the same level of outrage the next time a linebacker beats the crap out of his girlfriend, we'll be getting somewhere.

I'm not surprised when you consider how many pet owners there are in this country. The vast majority have a deep emotional attachment to their dogs because dogs typically provide an unyielding loyalty and a perceived unconditional love for their owners. My guess is that a significant percentage of Americans that watch the NFL often do so with their dog at their feet or lying next to them on the couch.

The idea of hurting an animal similar to the one that gives so many people joy and sitting right next to you is disturbing and repulsive. The only thing more disturbing is someone hurting someone within your family (and many people consider their dogs a part of their family).

:cheers Thank you for reading my mind and putting it so perfectly. Hang/drown/have your body repeatedly slammed to the ground/electrocute in hell, Vick.

I think the whole thing is totally repulsive. Football star or not, what he was responsible for doing to those dogs is fucking disgusting. I hope he doesn't play anymore.

Allegedly, please. This is the USA, not Gitmo (yet).

On the stereo right now: Nick Lowe's "Mary Provost," in which a former starlet is consumed by her dogs.

Now, if we can just apply the same level of outrage the next time a linebacker beats the crap out of his girlfriend, we'll be getting somewhere.

We tried that. It was called the OJ trial. Turns out we were a bunch of racists.

cryptique said it better than I did. I guess my surprise has more to do with the fact that so many athletes beat the shit out of their wives/girflriends or father illegitimate kids, etc. that its interesting to see people rally around the cause when it comes to mistreating animals.

Like I said, if he did it, Vick deserves a special place in hell. Next to the place with the guys who beat their wives. But you don't see the same level of scrutiny on those guys. Just weird.

cryptique said it better than I did. I guess my surprise has more to do with the fact that so many athletes beat the shit out of their wives/girflriends or father illegitimate kids, etc. that its interesting to see people rally around the cause when it comes to mistreating animals.

Like I said, if he did it, Vick deserves a special place in hell. Next to the place with the guys who beat their wives. But you don't see the same level of scrutiny on those guys. Just weird.

I'll try to answer this, I think it has to do with the helplessness of an animal. I know an abused wife/girfriend is a complex issue, but I think at the heart of it people might feel that at least they are free to leave. An animal of course has no such option. At the same level I think that's why abuse against children would be treated more serious than against another adult, again because of the helplessness

From the sound of it (a.k.a. what i was watching on ESPN Outside the Lines earlier today), it seems like the evidence against Vick is pretty strong. I think the Falcons would be smart to get rid of him now, it would also be smart for Vick to get out of there now and try to keep his ass out of jail, but chances are he deserves to be there.

While what Vick (allegedly) did was vile, keep in mind it is perfectly legal for people (for example, most of the people in charge of our country) to shoot animals with rifles for fun. I'm no vegetarian but something seems a bit off here.

Guest Jules
While what Vick (allegedly) did was vile, keep in mind it is perfectly legal for people (for example, most of the people in charge of our country) to shoot animals with rifles for fun. I'm no vegetarian but something seems a bit off here.

Not domesticated animals.

There's also a difference between shooting an animal dead and making it fight, which leads to a much longer, more drawn out death.

I don't like hunting at all, but I still can see a difference between immediate death and a slow, drawn out, torturous one.